Jonas 360 Cube

Deathcloud is no pox or smallpox, but I look forward to see if anyone will cast it. Both of them are in on a testing period over a couple of drafts, will see how they play out.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Part of the inherent problem was that in cube, Deathcloud decks generally wanted to be low resource decks, and you actually need a lot of resources in order to cast a worthwhile Deathcloud. It's intrinsically anti-synergistic with Smallpox, strangely enough.

Looking at how much artifact mana I have taken out over the last couple of weeks, it will be pretty hart to cast it high too. I do have four rocks, coalition relic and thran dynamo, which makes it possible to cast a pretty big death cloud with the right cards. But then again, it's hard to evaluate it without having drafted it.

Death cloud seems to be a get ahead then use this to stay ahead card, whereas smallpox and pox seem to be more 'I'm saccing all these dudes for value, so haha at you'.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The other issue, like you mention, is that Deathcloud wants more of a specific build (e.g. ways to ramp up to Deathcloud mana), so you kind of have to "build-around" it, but since it's only a one-of most games you won't ever draw it. AND it's triple black so you don't have a lot of range in terms of what you do with your deck (e.g. also picking up Wildfire effects, or whatever).

By contrast, Smallpox just slots into Black aggro and fits pretty naturally without too much contortion.

Agreed on all points.

On another note, the thing with cards being one-of's, and people evaluating it on the one-of card that can take it out, what's up with that? It hasn't been as prevalent here, but on some other forums I frequent, it has been an easy way to throw away suggestions.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
On another note, the thing with cards being one-of's, and people evaluating it on the one-of card that can take it out, what's up with that? It hasn't been as prevalent here, but on some other forums I frequent, it has been an easy way to throw away suggestions.

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. Can you elaborate?

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. Can you elaborate?
Oh no, you can't play card X in your cube, because card Y stops it cold.

Example: Oh no, you can't play death cloud in your cube, because counterspell stops it cold.

Example 2: Oh no, you can't play Gravecrawler in your cube, because StP stops it cold.

Might just be that I'm overreacting too :p

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Oh no, you can't play card X in your cube, because card Y stops it cold.

Example: Oh no, you can't play death cloud in your cube, because counterspell stops it cold.

Example 2: Oh no, you can't play Gravecrawler in your cube, because StP stops it cold.

Might just be that I'm overreacting too :p

Hmm... maybe. :) I've actually seen these types of arguments used far more often in constructed. There's some smug bastard at the local store who always takes great pride in saying that X card/deck is weak to Y card/deck. Then he plays these total abortions and goes 1 - 3 and moans about mana screw / flood until he leaves the shop.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I said it before on some other thread on here, but Death Cloud is secretly a Golgari ramp card. Like Jason mentioned, the best way to use it is to accelerate and pump a lot of mana into it, and then win a grindy game with recursive creatures or other resources that are immune to being sacrificed. It was somewhat of a thing back in the old Extended format.

I'm not sure if you really need two Gather the Townsfolk, as it's not intrinsically a very powerful card. I actually like Doomed Traveler a fair bit, and run him over Elite Vanguard in my list. If you want more humans for your theme, you can just toss in additional Champions of the Parish; nothing like driving that tribe home than by giving it more of its best one-drop! You're also missing Xathrid Necromancer, a key component that allows the archetype to stretch out into black. I'd say that when people draft humans here, WB humans is the most frequent colour combination.

Xathrid Necromancer is in a letter and on its way to me, no worries about that. Two gathers might be a bit much, but I tried it in another cube, got pummeled down to five and dropped two townsfolk, which was a fun and amazing swing.

CML

Contributor
I said it before on some other thread on here, but Death Cloud is secretly a Golgari ramp card. Like Jason mentioned, the best way to use it is to accelerate and pump a lot of mana into it, and then win a grindy game with recursive creatures or other resources that are immune to being sacrificed. It was somewhat of a thing back in the old Extended format.

I'm not sure if you really need two Gather the Townsfolk, as it's not intrinsically a very powerful card. I actually like Doomed Traveler a fair bit, and run him over Elite Vanguard in my list. If you want more humans for your theme, you can just toss in additional Champions of the Parish; nothing like driving that tribe home than by giving it more of its best one-drop! You're also missing Xathrid Necromancer, a key component that allows the archetype to stretch out into black. I'd say that when people draft humans here, WB humans is the most frequent colour combination.

The human/zombie synergies fill me with joy. Nothing like looping 'crawlers off a Zombie from Xman

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Lifebane Zombie seems to be a value producing 3 drop, so that's a like for like drop. Xman is more castable and more universally applicable, I like it better.

The other choice that stands out to me is Death Cloud, but I see that's on the discussion board and probably being tested?

Lifebane could be a good cut, X sure has a more exciting ability. You're right about Death Cloud being in for testing at the moment.

I'll test out X-mas instead of Lifebane, and see if anyone miss the brute.

I like bone shredder too, but I'm think of taking away some of my straight up murder creatures and spells.

Seeing that I'm going for all the humans, I'd probably cut skinrender in that case. Got muse at CC4 for zombies anyway.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Good call. When faced with the same decision, I actually cut Shriekmaw, as it doesn't fit with any of my supported tribes. But Lucas convinced me that control needed some juicing, so I added it back in and reluctantly axed Nekrataal. Still not sure if that's right.

I like the first striking on the nekrataal, and how it might make him useful even at his CC. I thought about doing like CML did and using the shriekmawdemon instead, but he cut it, so I guess it wasn't good enough without evoke.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I had Shadowborn Demon for a while myself, too. Its main problem, aside from not having an alternate two mana sorcery mode, is that it's not all that easy to fill up your own graveyard in cube. In control decks with low creature counts, particularly, this makes him into a five-mana Murder. So his only place is in creature-heavy aggro decks, then, which aren't always looking for a five-mana curve topper.