Sets [KHM] Kaldheim Official Previews

I really like the pairing of UW control and foretell flavorwise as well, since control is all about being clever and being on top of the game. Hopefully we'll get enough density of cards in blue and white for this!

Edit: Also uh is "foretelling" what you do when you exile the card facedown or when you actually play it? Seems like it should be the exiling?

Should be the act of exiling it facedown. The "foretell cost" should just be the alternate cost when you re-cast it. So Ranar lets you exile the foretell cards for free instead of the {2} , but you still pay the alternate cost when casting it down the road.

I think you might have enough foretell cards at this point. The counterspell and wrath are the biggest draws to this, but if you were to draft the others listed, you'd also have the options of a card draw spell or a sizable flyer. The subgames with hidden information can get pretty fun. Especially in G2 once your opponent has seen one or two of these cards.

The subgames with hidden information can get pretty fun. Especially in G2 once your opponent has seen one or two of these cards.

I'm planning on ramming basically all of the three-drop Foretell cards into Afternoon Delight as soon as the set's out. It's gonna be great.

Stupid keywords

The problem is they're expecting you to have seen the reminder text on the commons, which is fair enough, but can really hurt anyone who wants to run one of the rares and none of the others, like Gargadon. It's a much smaller issue if you decide that you love the Boast mechanic and you're running a lot of them.

That blue mythic changeling seems fucked up lol.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I think Glorious Protector and Quakebringer are the only Foretell cards that don't include the reminder text.

EDIT: Is it just me, or are there a lot of Foretell cards? There are 31 Foretell cards right now (8W, 7U, 6B, 6R, 3G, 1C), and I suspect that we're going to get a few more in Green.

There have to be for the hidden information aspect of Foretell to work properly I think. It may still go the way of Morph in Constructed - where there were only a handful of playable cards and a face-down creature in a green deck was always Den Protector/Deathmist Raptor etc

I'm definitely enthused about the tribal cards for my Onslaught cube and I might have to add a lot of Foretell to go along with Morph for the full Yu-Gi-Oh experience. I'll need to take a closer look later.

There have to be for the hidden information aspect of Foretell to work properly I think. It may still go the way of Morph in Constructed - where there were only a handful of playable cards and a face-down creature in a green deck was always Den Protector/Deathmist Raptor etc

Yeah, that's part of why I think it could be a neat little sub-theme within an archetype, but probably can't get there as a full-fledged archetype unless your environment is very specific. Still, being able to make your opponent sweat thinking that your foretold card is either a Wrath or Counterspell is pretty spicy. Even spicier if you just bluff it a little further by letting them get in for a bit more damage and committing more before revealing your trap card.

I really dislike this trend of not printing reminder text on non-evergreen abilities. These cards will be much more annoying to include in 5-10 years, and this makes the game a lot less accessible by a thousand cuts. I know a few cards have omitted reminder text in the past (like Greater Gargadon), but it seems to be common practice now.

MbDPg2h.jpg

Dragonkin Berserker actually does have reminder text on the normal pack version. Also, treasure and the like is deciduous these days.

WOTC has always eschewed reminder text for non-evergreen keywords when there isn't otherwise room on the cards for text. Some examples include Saproling Burst, Vesuvan Shapeshifter Purphoros, God of the Forge. Stuff like the Sagas and Orvar simply do not have enough space to have reminder text for everything and still have the text at a large enough size for it to be readable. These are cases where the functionality of the card overshadows ease of understanding in 15 years.

WOTC has always eschewed reminder text for non-evergreen keywords when there isn't otherwise room on the cards for text. Some examples include Saproling Burst, Vesuvan Shapeshifter Purphoros, God of the Forge. Stuff like the Sagas and Orvar simply do not have enough space to have reminder text for everything and still have the text at a large enough size for it to be readable. These are cases where the functionality of the card overshadows ease of understanding in 15 years.

TL;DR; I know, but it's still bad for cubes.

I'm aware it's happened in the past, I even mentioned Gargadon as an example. In fact, I notice it right away every time I include a card like that in my cube. In the first draft it shows up someone asks "what is investigate again?" One or two cards might be fine, but if you put a bunch of these in a cube, the format gets really inaccessible to new players and Magic, which is already this scary, 20000+ card behemoth, looks even scarier because it's like having to learn a new language starting from intermediate level rather than basic.

I know many of you have groups only with veterans, but I don't, many people don't either, and being open to new players is key for the community to thrive.

I'm with japahn on this, not a fan of the lack of text on more complex mechanics. I'll make the exception every now and then for a sweet card, but I also try to avoid it whenever possible. Part of the reason why I hated the Party mechanic so much.

Also uh is "foretelling" what you do when you exile the card facedown or when you actually play it? Seems like it should be the exiling?

"Foretelling" or to foretell is paying the 2 mana to exile the card face down.
To morph something is to pay 3 mana and cast the card as a 2/2 creature.
To suspend something is to pay the suspend cost and exile it with an amount of time counters on it.

To cast the card is to pay the cost and put it on the stack.

--------

I'm with you guys. In the long run it can hurt the player experience. However I see the cards just like snow cards. Something I just can't include. Being a cube owner means we have to decide what to include. If Wizards decide to print the sweet card only in versions that have no reminder text, then we can choose not to include the card. There are plenty of other good ones out there. Or we can choose to include it and sweeten/hurt the cube experience. It's really up to us.

If we turn it around and focus on Wizards, we could ask them if they could choose to not print those non-reminder cards. However Wizards want to print cards for all formats. Standard, Modern, Historic, Commander and Cube alike. They can't favor us too much :) Otherwise the corruption would be too obvious and everyone would know that Wizards is in my pocket.

There's a sweeper that costs 4 in this set.
It even protects the creature you want from dying.
But it only gives -3/-3 until eot.

Crippling Fear.png

Would you run this in a Tribal cube?
Would you run it in a non-Tribal cube?

I think I'll generally give it a go.
If your cube isn't full of changelings, it can be seen as -3/-3 to the board the whole time, but it also comes with the upside to some creature decks that it might not sweep the entire board. Personally, I think it's going to be possibly very brutal in a tribal deck, so I'd rather run it in a non-tribal cube or cube with some minor tribal themes.

greathallofstarnheim.jpg

Here's another one of the lands. I think this one is interesting in that it can be activated at instant speed, so you can potentially use it in response to a kill spell, or just chump block with something before sacrificing. If you run an orzhov deck with cards that already want to die, it seems even better?

Edit: ARGHH!! Of course it also says "Activate this ability only any time could cast a sorcery". Still, getting a serra angel out of your land and a dork seems like a good late-game play.

They are decent cards. I think a couple more could've used a stat boost. The white one really deserves "+1/+1 and lifelink" IMO.

I honestly think that you have to play them in a deck with temporary creatures/equipment for them to be worth it, and that the Red and Green ones are probably the best of the bunch.

I'm torn. On the surface the runes look quite bad to me, even if they replace themselves. I mean, Angelic Gift, Cartouche of Knowledge, and Setessan Training, just to name a few, are all but unplayable in cube. But! Enchanting a manland or a cheap equipment, like Bonesplitter, with one of them is going to be gas.

They look *awful* to me. I mean, sure, they replace themselves, but the effects are all so marginal except maybe for the blue one they don't seem to be worth the slot. I'm going to put the over/under on the number of runes I run during Kaldheim's limited run at 1.5, and I might take the under.

Remember that they do effectively have Cycling 1X because you can always stick it on some rando land if needed. That doesn't necessarily make them "good", but they are more flexible than your average aura by a long shot. I hope we get a couple rare ones.

Yeah, they are not terribly strong, but the floor isn't terrible and the ceiling is good and worth it if you have a lot of equipment. These get better with cheap equip costs, so putting this on Ancestral Blade, Lightning Greaves, Bonesplitter, etc is what you should be looking to do. The "enchant creature" mode is more of a backup plan.

Yeah they have three modes:

1. Attach to a non-creature & non-Equipment: Cantrip
2. Attach to a creature: Ability + cantrip
3. Attach to an Equipment: Long lasting ability + cantrip

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Remember that they do effectively have Cycling 1X because you can always stick it on some rando land if needed. That doesn't necessarily make them "good", but they are more flexible than your average aura by a long shot. I hope we get a couple rare ones.
All the rares have been spoiled, it's just this cycle, unless they included more runes in the commander product.