General (LTR / LTC) Lord of the Rings Testing/Includes Mega Thread!

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about. What list of creatures?

I was just saying that Commander is inherently unbalanced because of the free regenerating 8th starting card, longer games leading to more must-answer threats being cast, and large singleton decklists leading to a lot of variance in how decks play in a given game.
Oepsie, confused with another member. My fault. Still, why is the brc decks a problem, it is just an example (but weaker powered) of the design nowadays of bomb->bigger bomb->done

That's a weird way of spelling Modern :)
I have tried Modern many times. With different friend groups and different tournament settings. I don't think it holds an inch to Duel Commander. Decks are personalized in Duel Commander just like they are in normal official multiplayer Commander/EDH. However you start with 20 life and the games are 1v1 so they look a lot more like Standard, drafting, Modern, Legacy etc. The games feel like normal Magic and there is tension because aggro actually exists in the format, shocking I know. Decks consist of very few generic good cards because the commander pulls your deck in a certain direction. Like when we construct our cubes we want our players to build interesting decks with synergies and not generic good stuff midrange. Same goes in Duel Commander but unlike real Commander all the best generic cards are banned so no Sol Ring and friends. Format is super balanced and (almost) every new expansion there is a new balanced deck in the pool. This means you will most likely not run into a mirror match in any given tournament. Unlike Modern where most sets contribute only tiny bit to the format and the format is stale/frozen. The variance is great because it's 100 cards singleton unlike Modern's 75 cards 4 copies so games are very interesting. Especially because your opponent's deck also has a huge variance so you never get tired of certain matchups. Most formats have fatigue but not here.

I believe your comment was a joke but if you are serious you are very welcome to present your arguments if you have played both formats :)

there is only cube

Nice. Yeah cube is the only format that can be all the other formats if it wants.
I personally like to dip my toes into all other formats a little bit from time to time to draw inspiration. I believe I am a much better cube curator than I could have been because I 'study' the other formats often. The experience makes me think about what people like about each format and where they have gaps.

landofMordor

Administrator
Cube Survey Responses are out!!!

LTR Review
LTC Review

Want to shout out the great work @landofMordor always does with these articles, and loved the pod episode as always!
<3
No real surprises here, but the ways the responses are so different than the strongly wtwlf-biased early rankings from my last post are always notable. It almost feels like these surveys represent one of the major philosophies about how to build a cube and the powermax folks occupy another and they're all very visible on the LuckyPaper Cube Map and my main cube funny enough sits nearly equidistant between them.
I think it's notable that wtwlf didn't write one of their usual "(P)review" articles for LTR. Usually I'll see a notable change in our responses once people have read those articles, or I'll be like "what in heck is this eminently replacement-level Man-o-War doing so high up" and it happens to be correlated with a high ranking on wtwlf's article. But for LTR, people didn't have a "thought leader" pre-evaluating cards for them, so I suspect the energy barrier to submitting a survey was higher, and people didn't converge on the same cards they might have if wtwlf had written a preview. A low-confidence hypothesis of mine, but it's at least a funny coincidence.

On the other hand it makes the survey more honest. People having their own opinions.

Cube choices are after all opinions and not facts.

Having a D&D flavored cube this set is obviously very high on my list.

I will 100 % get The One Ring to my cube and all my decks where it is legal to play. Even though it is 1000 USD in the borderless foil version I want.

I also truly enjoy the design of the Palantír of Orthanc because of the mini game and because the scrying changes throughout the game. In the beginning you're trying to either outsmart your opponent or put the biggest mana value card on top. Later you're just scrying 2 and drawing a card every turn.

But there are so, so, so many small common and uncommon cards in this set I enjoy. I will try and stay away from the named legendary cards except for the two mentioned above.

I will sharpen out all "The ring tempts you" on the cards I want. For me it doesn't matter if a card gets less powerful from this errata because that simply means the card can be included in the lower power tier in my cube. Doesn't change anything.

Not all cards on the list will make the cut for sure.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/fa731e81-2998-469a-87aa-5d4f97fd071b?view=spoiler

Last edited:
Well, that's some crossover. What's your favorite episode?
Indeed! I've actually hyperlinked WTYP stuff in some of my other writings before.

As for my favorite episode, I'm just going to say the I-35 Bridge Collapse episode I linked. It was far enough into the show that they had an idea of what they were doing, but it was well before they started spending an hour on The God Damn News at the beginning of every episode. Some other highlights include:
The Penn Central Trilogy
SEPTA (Pacers!.. this one was what introduced me to the show in the first place!)
Andrew Cuomo
The Channel Tunnel Fire
The Great Heck Rail Crash
The Newfoundland Railway
The Crazy 8 Crash
The Hyatt Regency Walkway Collapse
Battery Electric Locomotives

EDIT @safra if you haven't seen this show yet, you should. The subject matter and host perspectives seem right up your alley!

How do you think these fair in a higher powered context? I'm looking at changing to a double shock double fetch manabase and the land cycling mode is a pretty appealing baseline. I see they are getting some play in legacy and modern (even outside of Living End decks). I have a suspicion that they are much stronger than they feel at first glance. I play Tithe afterall, and while not objectively better they are comparable and come with their own positives.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Landcycling for {1} is just boss, love these! You've picked the three best ones (and incidentally the ones I plan on eventually adding to my cube), because these are the grindiest colors, plus each of these colors have ways to recur/recast the corresponding cycler from their graveyard. Bonus!

They're solidly playable, and maybe the card-version of them being horrible cards helps what would otherwise be a feelsbad for cycling them, but they're really not cards I can get very excited about picking.
The troll sees play in legacy death's shadow as a reanimate target fwiw.

I have played several (yes, not super many, but some) mirror matches looooong ago. And it is quite interesting. Like one of those ‘who blinks first’ kind of things.

Mirrors are usually super interesting if they happen rarely.

How do you think these fair in a higher powered context? I'm looking at changing to a double shock double fetch manabase and the land cycling mode is a pretty appealing baseline. I see they are getting some play in legacy and modern (even outside of Living End decks). I have a suspicion that they are much stronger than they feel at first glance. I play Tithe afterall, and while not objectively better they are comparable and come with their own positives.

Just from playing a good amount of retail limited, I already added Troll of Khazad-dûm a few weeks ago and have been trying to squeeze in Oliphaunt for just as long. These cards are all so cool and play so well, I can't recommend them enough at literally any power level.

I feel like I already run too many big creatures in green and enough similar effects, so I'll probably skip Generous Ent for now, but after watching the PT this weekend, I'm definitely going to find room for Lórien Revealed. I've had Boon of the Wish-Giver and Hieroglyphic Illumination in and out of my cube for the past few years, but I think this is really the best version of this effect for my list.

I appreciate you calling out Tithe as a secret member of the cycle, @Chris Taylor - it makes me both feel better running it, but also helps me keep that poor eagle out, who I've got nervously sitting in my on-deck binder.[/C][/C]

It's unfortunate that there isn't another good Living Death card....I tried Twilight's Call for a while, but it's not very good.

I've always wanted a secret 5c Living Death archetype with a bunch of the cycle bros:
Timeless Dragon
Angel of the Ruins
Curator of Mysteries
Waker of Waves
Archfiend of Ifnir
Titanoth Rex
Troll of Khazad-dûm
Generous Ent
Streeth Wraith
Hollow One

But it's not really viable with only one Living Death.

It's definitely viable if you're running cyclebros for other reasons (Astral Slide baybeeee! Is that a Lightning Rift I see? Invi- too far go back). For me, Living Death is a spicy one-of that is worth a speculative pick in case you hit density. Hard agree on the Twilight's Call though, exact same experience.

Definitely needs tutors to help, I have a durdly as hell cube and even with every turn featuring some thinning/card draw the deck only works with stuff like Mystical Tutor and friends as backup. Also likes having its interim removal be Seal Away's over Doom Blade's which can hurt the manabase and mess up signals, but the Triomes are amazing. Desperately waiting for some (1) landcyclers that aren't Universes Beyond as they'll be going straight into my cube. That or more creatures that have decent triggers on being cycled - a monocoloured Sojourners that cycled for 1u would be great pls and thanks

This is getting into custom stuff, but would you be allowed to word a card as "When you cycle ~ or it enters the battlefield, EFFECT."?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Hmm. I think the mirror is quite interesting for once in a while. Do not squadron sweepers!
As much as I want to say that living death is only kinda a sweeper, you're probably right. Maybe this is a prime example of enhanced density coming from tutor effects etc

Man I used to run demonic tuutor++ and it would be SWEET for these purposes:
1691087138748.png