General [Lucky Paper] Zendikar Rising Prospective Results - nearly 200 surveyed!

Thank you to everyone here that filled out the survey! We had a record number of responses, almost 200. You can find the results of the survey here: https://luckypaper.co/articles/cube-prospective-zendikar-rising/.

In general, most Cube designers are finding good cards to test from cards with "classic" Cube effects, like Skyclave Shade and Luminarch Aspirant. The cube community is fairly high on the mythic MFDCs, giving them an average rating of 2.4, but fewer than half of all designers are testing them. The non-mythic MDFCs don't fare as well, although interestingly Kazandu Mammoth is being tested by as many people as Turntimber Symbiosis.

Do you all find any results surprising? Anything you think is being underrated or overrated by the Cube community?

Do you all find any results surprising? Anything you think is being underrated or overrated by the Cube community?

I think Shatterskull Smashing is extremely overrated. While the card is indeed very powerful, most of the card's ability to slot into any red deck comes from the fact that it can come into play untapped. 3 mana for 1 damage is not very good, and while the ability for the card to scale up to a quite reasonable damage spell, it's still just a bad Rolling Thunder much of the time it's being cast. I think it's usually worse as a spell than Spikefield Hazard. Do not misconstrue this as me saying the card is bad, like all of the mythic MDFCs it's very powerful, but it's probably worse than Emeria's Call and Agadeem's Awakening, maybe being on par with Turntimber Symbiosis.

The non-mythic MDFCs don't fare as well, although interestingly Kazandu Mammoth is being tested by as many people as Turntimber Symbiosis.

Kazandu Mammoth is one of the best MDFCs in the set, it's not surprising that it ended up being tested as much as it was. 3/3s for 3 are bigger than most creatures in most cubes, and having one that pumps itself or can be a land in a pinch is really good.

Over all, I'm surprised people aren't very high on the Uncommon and Rare MDFCs. I think at least 2/3rds of them are cubeable, with only some dregs like Beyeen Veil not being worth the space.

A significant amount of cubers don’t support double-faced cards so maybe that has to do with the skewing of data?