General Macroarchetype Cube or: Who's the Beatdown Cube

I've been thinking of developing this idea again, as the Elegant Cube once was a non-micro archetype cube (besides some strategies like reanimator and ramp which were sort of emergent microarchetypes in Magic's history). The archetypes that were actually supported were aggro, control, midrange and aggro-control, with a strong effort to have all colors support all combinations.

In the past decade or so, we've seen much emphasis in microarchetypes and explicit synergies, like artifacts, counters, discard, etc. What if we don't do any of that? Just rely on the synergy of an aggressive 2-drop with a 1-drop and the synergy between a card draw spell with counterspells?

What do you think of this idea? How would you distribute the cards within a color to make all of aggro, control, midrange and aggro-control supported?

I'm thinking each color needs a core of maybe 40-50% being generic cards and then some cards that are payoffs to be all-out aggressive, controllish, apply controlled pressure or grindy.

aggro is probably the one that needs the most support in terms of pure numbers.
control needs a large number too but bear in mind the basic distribution of a typical control deck - lots of removal, some card draw, a couple finishers, not the other way around.
midrange will likely come together on its own without any explicit support as long as there are good cards in each color that aren’t totally aggro/control parasitic

I think this is a cool idea to explore, but I'm not sure I'm understanding your goal here. Do you want to build a Cube where the "big three" macroarchetypes are fully supported with a minimal focus on microsynergy, or do you want to build a Cube where each color is equally contributing to each macroarchetype? Likewise, are you looking to build this Cube in a high-power space or a low-power space? Finally, is your goal to minimize cards that require explicit synergies to function optimally, like Monastery Swiftspear and Tarmogoyf, or do you just want to pick cards that play well in the macro-archetypes you're trying to support regardless of synergy requirements to meet their ceilings?

Depending on what you're trying to do here, you have a ton of options. Likewise, portions of this design space has already been explored well enough in some circles that you won't necessarily have to do a ton of leg work to get things off of the ground. You might be able to dissect some pre-existing lists to use as a skeleton to get things going if they fit your goals.

If your goal is to build a "big three" Cube without worrying about each color's contribution to those archetypes, that type of Cube has already been pretty well charted by some people I know back in roughly 2018 to 19. I don't know how many of those lists still exist but I could probably find a couple for you to draw inspiration from if you'd like.

Do you want to build a Cube where the "big three" macroarchetypes are fully supported with a minimal focus on microsynergy, or do you want to build a Cube where each color is equally contributing to each macroarchetype?
Both, are they at odds? Sounds like the second requires the first to me.

Likewise, are you looking to build this Cube in a high-power space or a low-power space?
I'm open to any power level on principle, but I believe a high power level clashes with the requirement of all colors supported in all macro archetypes. At the end of the day, the best control decks possible are blue. The best aggro decks are... not blue. So I'll probably go lower power.

Finally, is your goal to minimize cards that require explicit synergies to function optimally, like Monastery Swiftspear and Tarmogoyf, or do you just want to pick cards that play well in the macro-archetypes you're trying to support regardless of synergy requirements to meet their ceilings?
The latter mainly, it's impossible to not have synergy - I would just like to focus on natural synergies - mountains and red cards, removal and counterspells, creatures and equipment. If Tarmogoyf is a good enough card even if there are not 8 graveyard enablers or fetches, it's fine (though I'm sure it'll be good enough).

I think a person building this sort of cube would want to think carefully about what sort of aggro they want to support. The aggro decks in this sort of a cube can be aggressive shades of mid-range, right? As long as you give your aggressively minded drafters the opportunity to be the beatdown relative to the other potential decks in your format, I don't think it matters if they have the density of 1-drops that you'd find in a constructed deck.

I find this very interesting, since also you seem like you don't want combo decks, which is a thing most cubes without micro-archetypes do.

Probably the way I would build a cube like this would be basically by having support for: monocoloured aggro, bi-tri colour midrange, and 4-5 colour control. This way you can use cards like benalish marshal or goblin chainwhirler as signpost cards for aggro, cards like knight of the reliquary or huntmaster of the fells for midrange and cruel ultimatum and esper charm for control?

Because yes you may have a 2-3 coloured aggro deck but it would never be as good as a midrange deck in those colours, and same way you could have a monocoloured control deck but when you're control the cost of splashing for a swords to plowshares is really low and you might as well pay that cost and have a deck with more colours and more powerful I guess...

Then, Idk if I would support aggro in all five colours, since there is a bit of a skew towards non-blue for aggro and blue for control... the only aggressive monoblue deck I can think of is merfolk but that is a microarchetype and also tribal which is usually bad for cube

I think a person building this sort of cube would want to think carefully about what sort of aggro they want to support. The aggro decks in this sort of a cube can be aggressive shades of mid-range, right? As long as you give your aggressively minded drafters the opportunity to be the beatdown relative to the other potential decks in your format, I don't think it matters if they have the density of 1-drops that you'd find in a constructed deck.
It is true that aggro does not necessary need 1-drops. However, this implies that aggro is only possible/viable if the midrange start appropriately late, e.g, is relative expensive.

Here's what I'm thinking:

- Lots of glue cards that work in all archetypes
- Good amount of board wipes that curb aggro
- Good amount of resilience for aggro to curb control
- Good amount of disruption to curb control

My intention is that aggro must build with board wipes in mind. There might be space to support aggro that tries to simply go under the wraths (or maybe making them 5+ mana would be enough, but then disruption is kind of op) which would be great to support to cover the whole spectrum, but there might be a real estate issue with that due to the densities needed.

Maybe bumping wraths to 5 mana, disruption to 2 mana and letting hyper aggro have room to not have to run too many 1-drops would work ok? I'm not confident on having a higher mana curve like that since there is less agency in how the sequencing happens.

your suspicions are 100% correct, chop that curve DOWN
There are multiple options. Chopping the curve down is just one way to achieve it. It does not mean more choices and consequences. If you have many aggro one drops, it does not matter which one you play. If you have an aggro 2 drop and another 2 drop then you have choices.
Only going at the problem from one point is just so one dimensional.

Because yes you may have a 2-3 coloured aggro deck but it would never be as good as a midrange deck in those colours

I've heard statement like this one before, but I could never understand them. If the fixing is there, why wouldn't you play a 2-colored aggro deck? If orzhov midrange is always better than orzhov control, it would just seem to me that midrange is better supported in those colors. Is it just about fixing?

I've heard statement like this one before, but I could never understand them. If the fixing is there, why wouldn't you play a 2-colored aggro deck? If orzhov midrange is always better than orzhov control, it would just seem to me that midrange is better supported in those colors. Is it just about fixing?
I would need an almost perfect manabase to play a 2-colour aggro deck. If I want to reliably cast both precinct captain and ash zealot on turn 2 with a deck, I want at least 13 sources of either colour so something like 3 mountains, 3 plains and 10 RW duals that enter untapped

please don’t cut 1 drops
Cut all 1 drops. Make the Keruga Cube.

Cast your blue spells using all the mana you'll get from blacksmithy's tears.

---

I had a weird ramble-y theory bit here about how you can classify Magic's macro-archetypes by how they interact with building up resources vs. spending those resources, but I realized that it wasn't terribly helpful. That said, here are the (probably heretical) thoughts that are probably the most important take-aways:

1) Your aggro and control payoffs (AKA your cheap threats and your expensive finishers) should be more powerful than your mid-cost cards. Not in an absolute sense, but feel free to push your 1-drops and 6-drops more than your 3-4 drops. This encourages aggro and control (and their weird love-child, aggro-control tempo disrupt), allows ramp to be a thing, and discourages the "I'm just buildin' my curve" drafting style — commit to one end or the other!

2) The best cards for building up resources shouldn't play to the board. Midrange's advantage is that they get to do stuff on board while building up their resources, they don't also need to be the best at playing the resource game.

Midrange is the most natural archetype to draft into (at the end of the day, it boils down to "let's just fill my curve with good cards"), so your goal is to avoid having it gobble up slower decks. You need to reward people for going out of their way to draft the other archetypes, or else you won't see those archetypes.

Cut all 1 drops. Make the Keruga Cube.

Cast your blue spells using all the mana you'll get from blacksmithy's tears.

---

I had a weird ramble-y theory bit here about how you can classify Magic's macro-archetypes by how they interact with building up resources vs. spending those resources, but I realized that it wasn't terribly helpful. That said, here are the (probably heretical) thoughts that are probably the most important take-aways:

1) Your aggro and control payoffs (AKA your cheap threats and your expensive finishers) should be more powerful than your mid-cost cards. Not in an absolute sense, but feel free to push your 1-drops and 6-drops more than your 3-4 drops. This encourages aggro and control (and their weird love-child, aggro-control tempo disrupt), allows ramp to be a thing, and discourages the "I'm just buildin' my curve" drafting style — commit to one end or the other!

2) The best cards for building up resources shouldn't play to the board. Midrange's advantage is that they get to do stuff on board while building up their resources, they don't also need to be the best at playing the resource game.

Midrange is the most natural archetype to draft into (at the end of the day, it boils down to "let's just fill my curve with good cards"), so your goal is to avoid having it gobble up slower decks. You need to reward people for going out of their way to draft the other archetypes, or else you won't see those archetypes.
i have actually kept a Keruga cube concept in my back pocket for a few years now… i’d rip a bunch of stuff off your 237 cube and have all kinds of cycling/evoke type stuff happening turns 1-2. and bouncelands ofc.
but when the chips are down, cubing broken cards is just too sexy for me not to do it

Now that I think about it... it could be interesting to do a 12_456 cube, where there's a conspicuous gap at 3 mana and there's a heavier focus on the bolded MVs. If you did it right, you'd get a pretty natural split between aggressive, low-to-the-ground decks and decks that focus on ramping up into the 4+ mana stuff.

EDIT: That might actually be a really good way to handle a mono-color cube, come to think of it...

Both, are they at odds? Sounds like the second requires the first to me.
While I don't think these goals are at odds, some colors are intrinsically better at doing certain things than others. Creating an environment where every color can equally contribute to each macro-archetype might get in the way of creating the best possible play experience for the first goal, because you'd be dedicating a significant portion of each color to doing something that color just isn't good at doing. A red/green control deck probably isn't going to be as good as a blue/white counterpart, simply because red and green don't have as good control tools as white and blue. The only way I can think of off the top of my head to support a red/green control deck would be a Wildfire deck in a low-power environment, but at that point you're venturing off into microarchetype space again.

None of this means you can't give each color support for each macro archetype. There are cards that are fantastic in a macro-archetype a color doesn't normally excel at supporting. For example, Burn Down the House is fantastic in control, even though Red isn't a great control color in its own right. A U/R, Jeskai, or Grixis control deck could use some control-specific red cards like Burn Down the House coupled with generically good red cards like Shock. However, Red isn't going to have as many cards to contribute to the control deck as Blue.

I'm open to any power level on principle, but I believe a high power level clashes with the requirement of all colors supported in all macro archetypes. At the end of the day, the best control decks possible are blue. The best aggro decks are... not blue. So I'll probably go lower power.
I don't think a high power level is necessarily at odds with the goal of every color supporting every macro archetype. As we established, there are good cards for every macro in every color– the only issue is equal support, and that's mostly a density issue. In my experience, lowering the power level of the environment too much makes control decks way too good, as the density of board wipes those decks require to beat back aggro consistently can start to hate out every deck incredibly hard as the format gets slower. You can't really skimp on wipes because otherwise, control wouldn't be able to find their interaction on time. Unfortunately, faster gameplay tends to require more potent cards. You don't necessarily have to build in a legacy-lite space, but you'd likely benefit from trying to balance the format like Standard from some point between 2007 and today.

If I'm understanding your goals correctly, it seems like you want to build a cube that isn't similar to your current Cube. It might be beneficial for you to commit fully to the bit and try to build in a power space than you usually do as well. I'm not saying you should build a Cube with cards you don't want to play, but getting out of your comfort zone and experimenting with something entirely new could prove enlightening. You're a good designer already, and this will help you improve your arsenal.

The latter mainly, it's impossible to not have synergy - I would just like to focus on natural synergies - mountains and red cards, removal and counterspells, creatures and equipment. If Tarmogoyf is a good enough card even if there are not 8 graveyard enablers or fetches, it's fine (though I'm sure it'll be good enough).
Good, this will make your job significantly easier. Lots of the good glue cards for the macro archetypes in modern magic are powerful because of their synergistic elements, so having the ability to lean on those cards will help to make the design process smoother.

By the way, I recognize this is "basically what a lot of other people do", but I bet people who work within constraints of microarchetypes would have valuable insight into what it means NOT to have that constraint.
I totally agree! Playing Cubes with a heavy emphasis on the macro-archetypes and later building a Cube that primarily supported the big three macros has made me a better designer. Getting a solid feel for modern macro-archetype Cubes has helped me better understand how to design micro-archetypes that don't feel forced or weak. Every micro-archetype is basically a flavor of one of the macros. For me, gaining a complex understanding of how different flavors of each macro-archetype play in their simplest forms has helped me to figure out cool things I can lean into for micro archetypes. For example, my Cube has a "delve deck" currently which uses filter to graveyard cantrips like Thought Scour, Ransack the Lab, and Commune with the Gods to power out good delve cards like Tasigur, the Golden Fang and Hooting Mandrills. Fundamentally, this deck is "just" a flavor of Sultai Midrange–most of the payoffs and all of the off-plan cards the delve deck specifically uses are things generic Sultai would use. However, this deck still feels unique because the deck still has a specific, abnormal plan. It also has some cross-pollination with other micros I currently support, like Reanimator and Spells, because all of the enablers also go to enable those decks. I don't think I would have come up with the delve deck back when I focused just on fully-supporting micro archetypes because the pool of cards is not extensive enough to build a whole synergy deck around. However, as a flavor of Sultai midrange, the deck works fantastically and feels really cool and unique.

Here's what I'm thinking:

- Lots of glue cards that work in all archetypes
- Good amount of board wipes that curb aggro
- Good amount of resilience for aggro to curb control
- Good amount of disruption to curb control

My intention is that aggro must build with board wipes in mind. There might be space to support aggro that tries to simply go under the wraths (or maybe making them 5+ mana would be enough, but then disruption is kind of op) which would be great to support to cover the whole spectrum, but there might be a real estate issue with that due to the densities needed.
This sounds great! Macro-archetype decks in the present era tend to be more about spell velocity than raw power, so keeping the curve lower helps to keep things moving along smoothly.

The other thing I would add to this list is to play lots of fixing. Fixing is your best glue card– it helps decks play the good cards in colors that aren't necessarily the best at their macro-archetype without making the deck worse. Because of the way Macro-oriented Cubes tend to work, you're not going to have to worry about 5-color pile decks because your average card quality is going to be roughly even. There's no point to taking random green cards for your R/W aggro deck if you haven't yet reached your ideal density for 1-drops yet. There's still a real cost to consistency in branching into new colors– it dilutes the number of key spells that are in your pool. Good fixing doesn't fix this problem, it just lets players have an easier time consistently cast their on-plan cards they would want to be playing anyway.

Maybe bumping wraths to 5 mana, disruption to 2 mana and letting hyper aggro have room to not have to run too many 1-drops would work ok? I'm not confident on having a higher mana curve like that since there is less agency in how the sequencing happens.
I think bumping some of the wraths to 5 mana sounds good (especially if you're not trying to build in a super high-power space), but I think skimping on one-drops is not a recipe for success. Cutting one-drops from aggro is like cutting discard outlets from the Drake Haven deck. Sure, you're technically making it weaker, but you're doing that by making the deck less consistent, not by reducing the power level of the cards in the deck. This doesn't really lead to the most fun gameplay, as players feel like they're at the mercy of their draws instead of winning or losing based on skill. My advice here is to spend some time with a hypergeometric calculator, figuring out what percentage of the time you want your aggro decks to be able to start with a turn one one drop. From there, add a number of one drop creatures (or equipment) to your cube based on the number of ones you want each aggro deck to have.

I still really like the exchange regarding this topic @Onderzeeboot, and I had a couple of years ago discussing the differences between micro-archetype oriented designs and macro-archetype oriented design. I think it really brings the differences between the two extremes into focus.

If you want to talk more about this topic with me, I'm open to having a chat on discord about it as well!

Yeah this is true, but I was talking more in general… obviously this way + some hybrid cards like rakdos cackler really help 2-colour aggro. But I think that’s not the standard in the average cube

I feel like people tend to overstate all that. And I know Frank Karsten's math and everything, but if have a deck with 4 black and 4 red 1-drops, 2 untapped duals and 7 of each basic, I am certainly planning on starting every game with a 1-drop and expect it to work out 90% of the time. Of course Rakdos Cackler and Gingerbrute help as well.

I feel like people tend to overstate all that. And I know Frank Karsten's math and everything, but if have a deck with 4 black and 4 red 1-drops, 2 untapped duals and 7 of each basic, I am certainly planning on starting every game with a 1-drop and expect it to work out 90% of the time. Of course Rakdos Cackler and Gingerbrute help as well.
Based and Gingerpilled.

More fixing is still nice though to help with spellcasting consistency. You could cut some of those basics then and play more spells (which is pretty helpful in a deck with 8 one-drops... those cards can become just as dead as a land in the late game depending on the format).

Karstens math is flawed anyways. It basically assumes you have all of your nonlands in hand from the get-go and the manabase is the only thing that develops over time. This is obviously not true and you also don't always need certain fixing at certain points in the game because you have no cards in hand that need it (you may not need a red source turn 1 because you only have white 1 drops or visa versa, for example).

It's at the very least quite conservative, which is probably suitable to the audience the article was written for (constructed tournament play).

Manabases are less finicky than they are made out to be, and I've almost never seen anybody restrict themselves to monocolored aggro in cube, even with nothing resembling a dual shock/fetch manabase or whatever.

Wow, I was just thinking about that - shift the protagonism to the non generic cards by making them a bit stronger. Goblin Guide and Wrath of God don't belong in the same deck, and they convince people to draft very different decks.

Funnily enough, I've had the problem of midrange being bad. I think we do want some good 3-4 drops too.

I have been thinking of the fixing and thinking of going 60/360 with double fetches, single triomes, shocks, fast lands and either temples or bounces. That would be more or less balanced between aggro and control while pulling decks in either direction. Fetches are generic, triomes and temples or bounces are control and midrange, shocks are slightly aggro, fastlands are aggro.

Wow, I was just thinking about that - shift the protagonism to the non generic cards by making them a bit stronger. Goblin Guide and Wrath of God don't belong in the same deck, and they convince people to draft very different decks.
I really like this idea– it would let you help balance the scales between aggro and midrange while playing a number of cool midrange threats that don't see Cube inclusion as often as more popular options. The biggest issue you would need to contend with is figuring out how these cards will beat control.

I have been thinking of the fixing and thinking of going 60/360 with double fetches, single triomes, shocks, fast lands and either temples or bounces. That would be more or less balanced between aggro and control while pulling decks in either direction. Fetches are generic, triomes and temples or bounces are control and midrange, shocks are slightly aggro, fastlands are aggro.
I love this mana base, it seems like a good starting point for this type of Cube. I am under the impression that the bouncelands or temples would be weak compared to the other 50 lands in the Cube. Including a cycle of control-oriented lands makes sense given your design goals, but I think bounces and temples are so slow that only control (and midrange players that didn't prioritize fixing early in the draft) would ever want to play them. The fast lands are still good even in control because their downside only impacts the mid-to-late game when control should already be winning. By contrast, the temples and bounces are almost never good in curve-out aggro, as they want access to the mana immediately. Remember, some macro-aggro decks can get away with including as few as 11 or 12 lands in environments with good fixing. Temples and Bounces are virtually unplayable in this context, because you do not want one of your very limited mana sources being locked down during its first turn. Even if you're trying to build an environment where aggro is playing 14-15 land, you still probably don't want lands that are always entering tapped. The efficiency loss can be quite difficult to overcome.

I would suggest giving the Check Lands a look. These cards play very well with the Triomes and Shocklands and act as a nice foil to the fast lands. Checks are at their best in control and midrange, where you're likely to have a land that satisfies their etb untapped requirement. However, aggro can still make use of these cards, as they will only usually enter tapped on turn one. While that specific scenario is not ideal, usually come into play untapped on later turns, which is totally acceptable for aggro. You could also consider running the manlands (which aggro is still happy to play as a late game mana sink despite the early game tempo loss), and the slow lands (which are less good in aggro but can still be untapped in the later game to help cast an important aggro finisher).

Finally, if you're not married to the restriction of using perfect cycles, I really like Grove of the Burnwillows and the Horizon lands. You could even use each 2-color slot in a mixed land cycle to help bolster a specific macro-archetype in that color combination. For example, if play the grove and horizon lands, you could use temples for the leftover U/W, U/B, and R/B pairings. Those three combinations are likely to have a control deck that could happily play a temple, and you'd be reaping the benefits of the more flexible (but still controlling) lands in the other 7 combinations. Food for thought!

Also, since you're running so many typed lands, you could consider making Zoo into one of your Aggro decks. Zoo definitely strafes the border between micro and macro archetype, but most of the cards are good enough to be playable in midrange anyway. If you go full-on Domain zoo, disruptive cards like Leyline Binding can even be good cross-pollination into control. The only real downside to this deck is that you would likely want to include multiple copies of the main 1-drops and the best 2-drops for the deck to function optimally, necessitating a further advance into non-singleton territory. Food for thought!

I'm really digging this project, and I am excited to see where you take it!