Sets (MID) Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

Incidentally why isn't Skinrender a Horror or something? Not sure I understand!
be358357-2abe-4ead-bb18-76cad8274489.jpg
Skinrender is a Phyrexianised Nim, the Mirran/New Phyrexian native Zombie species. They look a little different than normal Zombies from across the multiverse because they have a metal plate in their head that destroys their eyes.

Tagging @TrainmasterGT

• two popular mechanics previously seen on Innistrad return
• a new drawback for creature tokens that lets us create them cheaper
• a white card that could potentially draw you a card each turn
• a popular Innistrad card gets reprinted
• a curse that transforms into a creature
• two permanents that can double something every turn
• a mythic cycle with “you may pay [COST] any number of times”
• a four mana blue aura with “You control enchanted creature.”
• A popular tournament card in multiple formats gets reprinted with its fifth piece of art.
• a character from Innistrad once mentioned in a short story finally gets a card in an Innistrad set

Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:
• “If your life total would be reduced to 0 or less,”
• “This spell costs 1 less to cast for each creature you attacked with this turn.”
• “As [CARDNAME] enters the battlefield, note your life total.”
• “put a slime counter on up to one other target creature.”
• “Creature tokens you control lose all abilities and have base power and toughness 3/3.”
• “Each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard has”
• “Instants and sorcery spells you cast cost X less to cast, where X is [CARDNAME]’s power.”
• “put that many +1/+1 counters on [CARDNAME], then create twice that many 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens”
• “At the beginning of your end step, if you have exactly 13 life,”
• “You may cast any number of the copies without paying their mana costs.”

Finally, here are some creature type lines in the set:
• Creature – Hippogriff Spirit
• Creature – Human Soldier Werewolf
• Creature – Dragon Egg
• Creature – Leech Horror
• Creature – Fungus Horror
• Creature – Plant Horror
• Creature – Drake Horror
• Creature – Demon Dog
• Legendary Creature - Ooze
• Legendary Creature – Vampire Noble

Ok we have another MaRo duelist Preview:
MaRo said:
Before previews for Midnight Hunt officially begin, I thought it would be fun to do another of my Duelist-style teasers where I give tiny hints of things to come. Note that I’m only giving you partial information.

First up, here are some things you can expect:

• three popular mechanics previously seen on Innistrad return

• a new drawback for creature tokens that lets us create them cheaper

• a white card that could potentially draw you a card each turn

• a curse that transforms into a creature

• two permanents that can double something every turn

• a mythic cycle with “you may pay [COST] any number of times”

• a four mana blue aura with “You control enchanted creature.”

• A popular tournament card in multiple formats gets reprinted with its fifth piece of art.

• a character from Innistrad once mentioned in a short story finally gets a card in an Innistrad set

Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:

• “If your life total would be reduced to 0 or less,”

• “This spell costs 1 less to cast for each creature you attacked with this turn.”

• “As [CARDNAME] enters the battlefield, note your life total.”

• “Creature tokens you control lose all abilities and have base power and toughness 3/3.”

• “Instants and sorcery spells you cast cost X less to cast, where X is [CARDNAME]’s power.”

• “put that many +1/+1 counters on [CARDNAME], then create twice that many 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens”

• “At the beginning of your end step, if you have exactly 13 life,”

• “You may cast any number of the copies without paying their mana costs.”

Finally, here are some creature type lines in the set:

• Creature – Hippogriff Spirit

• Creature – Human Soldier Werewolf

• Creature – Dragon Egg

• Creature – Demon Dog

Tune in Thursday, Sept. 2 on Twitch.tv/magic at 9 a.m. PT as we kick off Innistrad: Midnight Hunt previews!
So I'm going to go down the list and see what these can be. I'm not going to do all of these again because a few of them are very open ended, but I'll bring up anything of note.

MaRo said:
• three popular mechanics previously seen on Innistrad return
So, we know two of these are Flashback and Transform. Other possible mechanics, counting only keywords and ability words, are as follows:
-Morbid
-Undying
-Fateful Hour
-Miracle
-Soulbond
-Delirium
-Investigate
-Madness
-Skulk
-Meld
-Emerge
-Escalate

We can start by ruling out Fateful Hour and Skulk. These mechanics were not popular when they were first printed, and they don't meaningfully contribute that much to the set. While Fateful Hour might fit with the "days are getting shorter folk horror" theme of the set, the mechanic was just too unpopular for a sensible revival. Likewise, Meld, Emerge, and possibly Escalate also don't make sense here. These mechanics were tied explicitly to Emrakul's influence in Eldritch Moon (and the battle for the plane that ensued), so they don't make sense in a set about Werewolves.

Speaking of mechanics that don't make sense in a set about Werewolves, Undying is also unlikely to return. While the mechanic was very popular and quite fun, it's a much better fit for the vampire set coming out shortly after this. I think we might actually see Undying in Crimson Vow, which is why I don't think we will see it in Midnight Hunt. I also think Madness probably won't be in this set. I feel like Madness kind of works in a similar space as flashback and might feel a little too samey, especially since the combination of flashback and madness has already been seen before Odyssey block. Madness also represents a huge logistical issue in making sure there are enough discard outlets to make madness playable. I don't think we're seeing it here.

Now we're on to mechanics that fit the theme of the set. Miracle suffers from a similar issue to Madness in that it requires extra setup to make work consistently, or else it leads to swingy games. Soulbond is possible, but I don't think it was popular enough to return. That said, it does fit the "humans standing together" theme well, as shown by Join the Dance.

That leaves the last three mechanics which I believe are the best fits: Morbid, Delirium, and Investigate. While none of them are perfect fits, they're all very popular and have reasons they could be in the set. Morbid is very open-ended. While it does ask for a bit of sacrifice synergy, it works well enough by itself to be feasible as a minor theme, especially as a way to tie Midnight Hunt and Crimson Vow together assuming there is a shared mechanic between the two sets and that mechanic isn't Flashback. After all, the idea of "morbid discoveries in the Werewolf infested woods" makes sense in this set. The biggest strike against Morbid is that it has already appeared with Flashback and Transform in Innistrad and Dark Ascension. I think WOTC would probably use a mechanic from Shadows over Innistrad block for their second returnee.

Next is Delirium. Delirium is super popular, and was enjoyed enough the first time around to even allow it to return in Modern Horizons 2. A new wave of Delirium cards would be welcomed by players. Unfortunately, I don't think it's a perfect fit. First, Delirium is a bit of a non-bo with Flashback. Having these two mechanics in the same set will create feel-bad situations where players won't want to cast their Flashback spell because it will turn off their Delerium. Delirium also just saw a major return a couple of months ago in Modern Horizons 2. While Flashback was also in Horizons, it wasn't a major theme, only appearing on three cards. Delirium was an entire mechanical archetype. While Delirium would be a good mechanic to bring back, I think the barrier to entry is a little too high.

Last is Investigate. I'll be honest when I say that this one is a little bit of a stretch compared to Morbid and Delirium, but I think it's actually a good flavorful fit. Investigate was originally used to represent people attempting to solve the mystery of the Madness during Shadows over Innistrad's story. However, it disappeared for Eldritch Moon, since the mystery was solved. But now, there's a new mystery on Innistrad: the days are getting shorter! Having investigate in the set to showcase people trying to solve the mystery of shortening days would make a lot of sense, while also not stepping on the toes of Flashback or Transform. The only major issue is that investigation did have a very minor theme in Modern Horizons 2 as part of the "junk tokens" archetype. While I don't think this is as big of an issue as it was with Delirium given Investigate's role as a part of a broader theme as opposed to being the theme, I still don't think it bodes well for the mechanic.

In short, the most likely options for the returning mechanic are Morbid, Delirium, and Investigate. I think Investigate is the best choice with the information we have right now, but Morbid and Delirium are entirely unsurprising options as well.

MaRo said:
This card is probably either Snapcaster Mage or Parallel Lives.

One would think Snapcaster Mage to be the perfect fit for this slot. It's extremely popular, it works with the set's mechanics, and it will sell the set by itself. But there's a problem: Snapcaster Mage is likely considered "too good for standard." Right now, Snapcaster Mage in Standard wouldn't be too far off from Snapcaster Mage in modern. Aside from Cryptic Command, a lot of similar pieces exist in the format. Consider, Play with Fire, Frost Bite, and Bloodchief's Thirst all represent extremely cheap, highly interactive spells that can bounce off of a Snappy extremely well. This doesn't even mention broken two drops like Power Word Kill and Infernal Grasp that basically turn the mage into a flashy Ravenous Chupacabra. There is also the consideration of what Snapcaster Mage might do in Pioneer and Historic. This card is arguably one of the reasons why Innistrad block was excluded from the Pioneer card pool due to the huge advantage it can provide. I'm not sure WOTC really wants this card in historic, either, despite the somewhat pushed nature of the direct to historic sets and the mystical archive.

While I would love to Snapcaster Mage reprinted in a $4 pack booster product, I just don't see it happening right now.

Parallel Lives on the other hand, could be in the set without creating any issues in Standard. It didn't really see play the first time around, and is mostly just an expensive card for Commander players. However, Mark does have several hints regarding tokens, which signals tokens might matter in this set. I'm not really sure, but Parallel Lives is super popular and, like Snapcaster Mage, would be pretty good at helping to sell packs with its $37 price tag. I

I'm hoping this is Snapcaster but even if it's Parallel Lives we still get a decent reprint.

MaRo said:
A popular tournament card in multiple formats gets reprinted with its fifth piece of art.
This does not refer to Snapcaster Mage or Tarmogoyf, which each have 3 pieces of art.

So, a likely candidate here is Village Rites, which has 4 pieces of art thanks to printings in M21, Kaldheim, and the two Mystical Archive languages. This card fits perfectly with the flavor of Innistrad and has seen quite a bit of tournament play. But that feels like a cop-out. What are some other options? Ancient Grudge, although a bit crappy, has 4 pieces of art thanks to Secret Lairs and FNM Promos. But I'm not sure how likely that will be with gold Flashback cards in the set. Eternal Witness has 4 pieces of art, making it a good candidate, especially since it's a human.

The coolest option here would be Thoughtseize, which already exists in Pioneer and Historic. They would only be giving it a run in Standard if they printed it here. While I'm not sure this card is desirable in Standard, it's also a really fun, beloved card that needs a reprint and again, would help to sell the set. Given WOTC's increased willingness to ban problem cards as of late, I wouldn't be surprised if they started to get a little bolder with reprints and just banned them if they become issues. While I'm not convinced Thoughtseize is the reprint, I want it to be Thoughtseize more than basically any other card.

MaRo said:
MaRo said:
Probably for one of the Oozes.

MaRo said:
Flashback. The Flashback cost is probably different than the spell's mana cost, but I don't know what it will be. Maybe an additional 2?

MaRo said:

That's a lot of Horrors. These cards all have primary types that exist in Sultai colors. Perhaps this is a minor tribal theme for this set?

MaRo said:
• Creature – Demon Dog
I'm excited about this one. I'm hoping it's a good card, and doesn't simply depict a good boy in the art.

MaRo said:
Interesting, I thought they would have decided to save the legendary Vampires for the literal Vampire themed set. I'm wondering if this card will depict a minor Vampire lord instead of one of the line progenitors. I doubt this is anyone important in Vampire society, but now that I've said that it's going to be Runo Stromkirk.

And that's all I'm going to say about this set, for now :). This Innistrad set already looks way better than Kaldheim and Adventures in the Forgotten Realms, and we've only seen a handful of cards and gotten the MaRo teaser. Honestly, this set could end up being the best Innistrad set since Innistrad proper if the quality remains as high as we've seen. Knock on wood that it stays this way!

a white card that could potentially, possibly, imaginably, maybe, in the right conditions and under certain circumstances draw you a card each turn.

Whooooo! White card draw!
"At the beginning of your end step, if you attacked with three or more creatures this turn, you gain 1 life. If your life total is greater than your starting life total, put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control. If you control a creature with the greatest toughness among all creatures, reveal the top card of your library. If you reveal a Plains, you may draw a card unless an opponent pays {1}."

The simple new tech, maybe?

At the beginning of your upkeep, if an opponent has more cards in hand than you, draw a card.

At the beginning of your upkeep, if an opponent has more cards in hand than you,
you gain 1 life. If your life total is greater than your starting life total, put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control. If you control a creature with the greatest toughness among all creatures, reveal the top card of your library. If you reveal a Plains, you may draw a card unless an opponent pays {1}."
Maybe you're both right...

I am pretty hyped now. I don't think that madness will be the third returning mechanic, but I won't let my hope die until thursday. And even then, if it turns out to be undying or investigate, I'll be almost as happy.

I am also really interested in the "new drawback" that allows them to create tokens cheaper. Could be a cool challenge to build a deck so the drawback matters less, but I have no idea what it could actually be. We already have ETBT tokens. Maybe they will be temporary in some way?

I'm guessing MaRo means "the mana rate to put a token of a given size on the battlefield will be cheaper", not that the tokens will be less substantial than a 0/1.

I'm guessing MaRo means "the mana rate to put a token of a given size on the battlefield will be cheaper", not that the tokens will be less substantial than a 0/1.
Yeah, but how are we going to make a drawback on something that's already 0-1 mana? Might be something kind of boring like paying life, I don't know. It could totally be a Horror token with a drawback that makes it cheaper, too. Unclear what part of the process has the drawback.

I wonder if the creature token drawback is in the form of an ability like from Theros Beyond Death, or perhaps where they are conditionally a full creature that can attack/block.

Might be an interesting angle now that I'm seeing this from the teaser:
“Creature tokens you control lose all abilities and have base power and toughness 3/3.”

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, but how are we going to make a drawback on something that's already 0-1 mana? Might be something kind of boring like paying life, I don't know. It could totally be a Horror token with a drawback that makes it cheaper, too. Unclear what part of the process has the drawback.
There are a lot of tokens that are worth more than 0-1 mana. E.g.

Now imagine something like...

Reap the Seagraf 2.0 {1}{B}
Sorcery
At the beginning of your next upkeep, create a tapped 2/2 Zombie creature token.
Flashback {2}{U}

You made the "token" cheaper, or rather, you made the cost of the token cheaper, which is what I think MaRo meant.