Sets (MKM) Murders at Karlov Manor Previews

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1705688815870.png
Love something for UR that's a bit more resiliant

1705688840770.png
There's so many cardnames in the set like this, where it's just like "Oh yeah that is a thing"
Anyways this card's neat

daredevildetective.jpg

You can sac an artifact/discard a card to draw and give it +2/+0 when it attacks.

I wish this was in black instead, I'd like both better discard outlets and more artifact payoffs in that color, red I already have a decent amount of it.

proftseideticmemory.jpg

While it's still not for me, the draw two theme getting a strong friend here. I like it.
I apologize for calling you out as just a draft archetype, this seems kind of nutty, especially since the floor barely exists, even with no support it cantrips and hands out a counter, and it's not like drawing cards is difficult. Busted with Brainstorm, it makes the second half of Commit // Memory a lot more appealing, Phyrexian Dragon Engine deals 10 hasty damage from the graveyard. It doesn't work amazingly outside of UR, but blue contributes a lot on its own, and some incidental bonuses from Thraben Inspector and Street Wraith doesn't hurt.

View attachment 9199
I was just making cuts to slot in Splendid Reclamation and they reveal this! Great body for slower deck, good set up piece for GY decks and the rate on the ability is what you would expect and unconditional!
I literally haven't stopped thinking about this card in the two hours since I first laid eyes on it. I feel like it's selfish for me to include it in my Cube, but it hits so many notes for the kinds of decks I end up drafting that I'm bubbling with excitement. Hermit Druid has a new best friend <3

Big fan of this one. Gives you options for a lot of different points in the game, and it tells a fun story. Seems really fun with Staff of the Storyteller and Glimmer Lens

I think this is a seriously good card. The pricing and effects are matched with Bloodforged Battle-Axe, and while this is not as desirable (even ignoring the color cost), being able to cash it out for tokens here is very relevant and fairly costed. It's a silly card too, can't be mad at that.

pickyourpoison.jpg

I mean, this is normally just a better Naturalize, but also hitting fliers is huge. I ran Atraxa's Fall for a hot second and while I liked it (well, not the story implications), this is much better at half the cost. You're rarely going to be in a situation where this doesn't hit what you want it to.

Really annoyed they re-used names from playtest cards though.

View attachment 9199
I was just making cuts to slot in Splendid Reclamation and they reveal this! Great body for slower deck, good set up piece for GY decks and the rate on the ability is what you would expect and unconditional!

Slamming this, good bye Satyr Wayfinder
Love this one. Really straightforward design and it's great to have this kind of mass land recursion effect on a card that does stuff. First easy windmill slam of the set for me.

Not sure how I feel about this. Playing this on turn 3 means you don’t see ramp until turn 5

If you have a single fetch in your graveyard you can only recur it every other turn since it comes into play tapped. Also means it’s less abusive with Wasteland/Strip Mine

I like the card, but think it’s going to be too slow/nerfed for me unfortunately. Fun design for slower formats

The text box discrepancy on this card is very amusing.
I really like split cards and always have hope for them when ravnica comes around again as it so often does, but they're often just not that appealing in terms of individual designs to me. Really like this overlapping hybrid twist on them though, and I'd love for some rare versions as well.

caseofthecrimsonpulse.jpg

well helloooooooooo there

I mean I could be wrong. I don't usually get excited about stuff, though. And this one's exciting.
I like Divination in red when you're hellbent.

I don't think I'm willing to pay an additional 1 for that upgrade over something like Bitter Reunion though. The upside is there if I wanted to for sure.

I think the various impulse draw effects work better for red than this, but it's a good option.

View attachment 9199

Slamming this, good bye Satyr Wayfinder
To be honest, I think this is significantly worse than Satyr Wayfinder. Being able to "draw" a land immediately frees up the creature to enter combat without needing to worry about dying– full value will already have been attained. Plus, Wayfinder mills an extra card, which is really useful for graveyard decks.

I think if you do want to cut something for this card, another piece for the lands deck along the lines of Explore is probably a better pick.

I'm excited about these for my Multivalent peasant cube. Hopefully they're all reasonably playable, because I'd like to include as many as I can. Very cool to see in a pack.