General Momir Vig Cube

Chris Taylor

Contributor
No, no the legend from dissention :p

For those who don't know, he has the following rules text:
X, Discard a card: Put a token into play as a copy of a random creature card with converted mana cost X. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery and only once each turn.

So if we make the cube selected creatures at each mana cost, and not really draft at all, this seems like a fun thing to break out when you don't have enough time to draft, much like a Type 4 Stack.

Here are some contentious creatures:

Phage the Untouchable
Kederekt Leviathan
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
Hoverguard Sweepers
Emmara Tandris
Sundering Titan
(Please suggest more, I'm not too too familiar with the format)

Of the above, I think I'll add in Kederekt Leviathan. It seems like a fair "always have an out" creature.
Phage seems unassuming as well, since you just shuffle up again :p

Dom Harvey

Contributor
The cards have to be played as tokens on MTGO for logistical reasons, but is there a reason why is has to be like that irl? You could just put the card in play.

More contentious cards: Azorius Guildmage, Dogged Hunter

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Rob Dennis

Developer
I believe Norbert88 from twitter has a Momir Basic cube and he might have a list up that provides an interesting starting point. As to whether or not an IRL match should have the cards count as tokens or not, I always thought part of the charm of the online version was the way different effects really changed in evaluation (bounce skyrockets in value, etc).

I'd have imagined that the "all the creatures out there are tokens" part would be preserved as a result.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Momir, the one format where you can get excited about this card:
Image.ashx

If I were designing a Momir stack, uh.... well, I'd fill it with fun things that perform differently in that environment. Like Duskmantle Seer! I also think there's the potential to make the environment much more fun than MODO Momir, by use of setting weird proportions of cards at different prices. There's probably some way to increase the strategic depth too.