Notes from the Road: Switzerland

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Agreed. This was absolutely fascinating, James.

I want to publicize this to a wider audience, but don't know where / how to.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
You guys honestly make my day, my hat is off to you C: I give myself really high standards and I really don't think I'm writing as well as I can. I guess I better keep going :)

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Man, I'm looking at Canada/American and Jesus Christ, your distances are VAST. Just Halifax to Quebec is 1000km, that's the same as London-Zurich! My god...

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
My wife loves to complain that you can drive for five hours, and still not be out of the province of Ontario.

I was thinking of driving from Calgary to Vancouver later in the summer... but I'm not entirely sure I have the stomach for a 973 km road trip. There's not a whole lot to do in between.

Are you thinking of a hitchhiking trip this side of the Atlantic?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Man, I'm looking at Canada/American and Jesus Christ, your distances are VAST. Just Halifax to Quebec is 1000km, that's the same as London-Zurich! My god...
I don't know where I've heard it, but a two-hour drive just for tea is apparently quite normal in the states. You would never do that in the Netherlands, that's halfway across the country*!

* North to south, east to west two hours actually gets you across the country.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
My wife loves to complain that you can drive for five hours, and still not be out of the province of Ontario.

I was thinking of driving from Calgary to Vancouver later in the summer... but I'm not entirely sure I have the stomach for a 973 km road trip. There's not a whole lot to do in between.

Are you thinking of a hitchhiking trip this side of the Atlantic?

Totally am! I have a flight landing in Halifax on September 9thish. My plans are pretty vague. I've got people I want to see dotted all around the continent. Ideally I make it to Washington and try to get CML to let me cube with him.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Yeah, as a Brit it always blows my mind when I hear Americans talk casually about driving 8 hours for a PTQ or whatever.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Tell me about it. It's about a 3 hour drive from my place to my parents when I want to visit, and I'm not far away at all for university

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
If you're coming to Toronto, I'll totally set something up.

Chris, Lucas, you guys down? No more of your excuses / disappearing acts - this man is hitchhiking from Halifax to visit us.