Sets [OGW] Oath of the Gatewatch Spoiler Thread

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I got double sniped while writing my own counterpoint :rolleyes:. Seriously, any data on this would be A+.

Well... The new cube is up on CT. I've reset the pick orders because there's so many new cards, so this deck was built with 14th pick Kitchen Finks and the like, but it gives a good idea of what I want the decks to be able to end up like. I intend to give everyone who picks a true three-color card a free three-color fixing land, so the Crumbling Haven came with the Siege Rhino. Deck looks like a fucking blast to play to be honest :)

GWC Constellation from CubeTutor.com

The 6 missing cards are:

Ghostbind.jpg Vineclad Dryad_1.jpg Crumbling Haven.jpg Eremitic Grave.jpg Eremitic Grave.jpg Fading Wilds.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I have an issue with Crumbling Haven: if someone refers to "the Temur bivouac land", which land are they talking about?

of course! But why is that an issue? Since I don't support Temur in my cube, there isn't a functional equivalent of Crumbling Haven in those colors in my cube ;)

Well... The new cube is up on CT. I've reset the pick orders because there's so many new cards, so this deck was built with 14th pick Kitchen Finks and the like, but it gives a good idea of what I want the decks to be able to end up like. I intend to give everyone who picks a true three-color card a free three-color fixing land, so the Crumbling Haven came with the Siege Rhino. Deck looks like a fucking blast to play to be honest :)

Exciting news! I'll be popping over when possible to try it out :). Eldrazi Displacer looks like an absolute monster in this deck... double Eidolon + blink? Rhino + Blink? yeowzers. I'm definitely very tempted with the whole Crumbling Basic idea, but I'd probably run them alongside wastes in the BLB, so evolving wilds etc. can grab some value.

Aoret

Developer
ghostbind loses me
the "if you don't" negation is a little bit of a (functional) templating jump from what we're used to. I think the bigger question is: is this intended to work on all creatures or was that an oversight?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
the "if you don't" negation is a little bit of a (functional) templating jump from what we're used to. I think the bigger question is: is this intended to work on all creatures or was that an oversight?
I can confirm that this is not an oversight.

Aoret

Developer
In that case, it seems reeeeally hoser-y against graveyard stuff to me. I tend to favor one shot effects if I'm gonna hurt graveyard strategies that much.

That said, if graveyard decks are oppressive in your meta, have a ball! :D

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
In that case, it seems reeeeally hoser-y against graveyard stuff to me. I tend to favor one shot effects if I'm gonna hurt graveyard strategies that much.

That said, if graveyard decks are oppressive in your meta, have a ball! :D

Well, discard outlets still work, and it can't exile cards that are already in the bin, it only exiles creatures that have actually hit the battlefield.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
ghostbind loses me

the "if you don't" negation is a little bit of a (functional) templating jump from what we're used to.
I guess I could reword it to:

Imprint -- Whenever a nontoken creature dies, you may exile it.
Sacrifice Ghostbind: Put a card exiled with Ghostbind onto the battlefield under your control. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Changes the card a bit, but would feel roughly the same. Main difference is that you can "immediately" get back the first creature that dies, without a second creature having to die.

Well, discard outlets still work, and it can't exile cards that are already in the bin, it only exiles creatures that have actually hit the battlefield.
I think it's less about reanimator and more about the hate it brings against recursive aggro and the destruction of pod synergies (thinking 2shieldz, voice, finks, etc)

You could reword it to virtually be a template match of Colfenor's Urn.
Whenever a nontoken creature dies, you may exile it.
At the beginning of your end step, you may sacrifice ~. If you do, return a card exiled with ~ to the battlefield under your control.

Speaking of really GY hate cards, has anyone gotten any play time in with?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think it's less about reanimator and more about the hate it brings against recursive aggro and the destruction of pod synergies (thinking 2shieldz, voice, finks, etc)

You could reword it to virtually be a template match of Colfenor's Urn.
Whenever a nontoken creature dies, you may exile it.
At the beginning of your end step, you may sacrifice ~. If you do, return a card exiled with ~ to the battlefield under your control.

Speaking of really GY hate cards, has anyone gotten any play time in with?
Yeah, I like that wording!

Haven't cubed with Kalitas yet, but it's in my update, so I'm sure I'll find out!

Any early results yet? It was midterm/projects season the last two weeks for me so no time to cube. Will probably get my first draft in with OGW tomorrow though.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Nope, I'm still in the testing stages. After my new customs have proven to not be OP I can print the proxies I need, and then I can organize a new draft. I assume this will take another month, I'm always too quick to order the new cards at a premium price ;)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
en_vCqQtH2Nnr.png
en_qwaVdKGXfL.png
en_Yq9d9EOL5J.png
en_W93g7CBV26.png
en_iDUJYXeFZS.png
en_CwUVtu4ZGe.png
en_6iYmYtm8d8.png
en_U9xVjNDw70.png
en_l9Z8PERHSF.png
en_yyOP38s82f.png
en_Ki33zsko20.png
en_UWd5ITvaHA.png
en_G3jSeUvKLe.png
en_3Ho3agC4hr.png
en_nToMV3SNof.png

Maybes:
en_OCQzdBZoDq.png
en_kSeLSWqsGl.png
en_QWwMDwzNr0.png
en_2vSqGUnUDI.png
en_J6nwC2Wrdv.png

Anyone else notice how all the goblins on zendikar have Deathwing Chin?

For Context see above

Thought Knot Seer, Reality Smasher and Eldrazi Displacer have all been great. They deffinitly need more support than just 4 wastelands/2 mutavaults/6-8 mana rocks (Or whichever analogous of those you run). Painlands work well, I used customs because of course I did :p
Manlands have all been great. I've added in all 10 and even lavaclaw reaches has been good. Give it a go if you're thinking about it
Relief Captain was good, Hell Saddleback Legac might be good, but I've folded him into Abzan Falconer for curve and space considerations.
Shoulder to Shoulder is surprisingly solid. Might even be worth it in non pitches to force decks, unsure.
Wall of Resurgence is more an 0/6 wall than it is a 3/3. If you'd play an 0/6, add it. If not, you aren't missing much.
Dimensional Infiltrator is solid, I've added 2, never been activated, don't care.
Kalitas is strong, but removable. If you're powering down your removal, he's likely WAY too strong, but he's been solid for me. He's deffinitly not as auto win as he is in retail
Chandra is fine. She doesn't defend her self that well, but she's so solid once she's in play it almost doesn't matter. Nicely swings like gideon jura, and doubles as a solid sweeper.
Goblin Dark Dwellers is the tits. I'd add a second if I felt my curve could handle it. Best midrange creature in years.
Nissa is mediocre. It's deffinitly not the Curse of Predation knockoff I was looking for, but it's still decent. It may come out because it's mostly boring rather than actually enticing. More uses for small bodies might help.
Sylvan Advocate is the best addition in years. Not too strong, an above curve body and a solid lategame upside, and unlike tarmogoyf it doesn't reach "Late game upside" on turn 3. A+, would cube again, might add a second.
Reflector Mage is just...amazing. Solid body, the 1 turn ban on the creature is super relavant, love it. There are times when Man-o'-war isn't great, but when it isn't, reflector mage is.
Ayli hasn't been drafted yet. Not for lack of trying, we had a BW sacrifice deck in the last draft. She just wasn't in the pool :p He deffinitly would have played her if he was able though.

Void Grafter is good, UG isn't, and flaying tendrils may or may not be necessary. Vile Redeemer is mostly just a 3/3 flash, but if you like Wolfir Avenger you'll like him

In terms of land support for colorless, what does your land section look like?
My cube is 360 and I've got:
2x Fetches
1x Shocks
1x Duals
3 Temples (Triumph, Epiphany, and Malady)
3 Wasteland
1 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Grove of the Burnwillows
and ~6 mana rocks.

I'm thinking I want to include manlands, some ULD picks (my drafters are moving away from ULD), and some support for colorless (6-7 cards). Should I add more lands or tweak the ones I've got? My first step is to change the Temples out for painlands or filterlands.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb