Sets [OGW] Oath of the Gatewatch Spoiler Thread

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I mean is there someone somewhere who is really really excited about the concept of running this guy alongside Storm Entity, Burning-Tree Emissary, and Manamorphose? almost certainly. Am I that person? Not likely.

reliefcaptain.jpg

This creature is the ajani activation I probably want

Goblin freerunner isn't even the best at what he does in STANDARD.

Image.ashx

Like, I can forgive the slightly worse bushwhacker, because damn, but...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh also jason they made a dissipate for you:
voidshatter.jpg

(It's dissipate)

With devoid!

I mean is there someone somewhere who is really really excited about the concept of running this guy alongside Storm Entity, Burning-Tree Emissary, and Manamorphose? almost certainly. Am I that person? Not likely.

reliefcaptain.jpg

This creature is the ajani activation I probably want

I am so sad these can't target themselves. 3/2 is really meager for the cost. If it could target itself I would be totally on board!

Warping Wail looks kind of.. bad. I'd prefer it being <> <> and hitting creatures with p/t 2 or less and creating two tokens instead of one. If there would be more cheaper costing cards requiring <> (and even <> <>) it'd be definitely more cubeable. It's not hard to support the sixth colour, it's just not worth it right now.

Warping Wail looks kind of.. bad. I'd prefer it being <> <> and hitting creatures with p/t 2 or less and creating two tokens instead of one. If there would be more cheaper costing cards requiring <> (and even <> <>) it'd be definitely more cubeable. It's not hard to support the sixth colour, it's just not worth it right now.

Well, YMMV, but in my list this could kill ~90 creatures (I checked very quickly, so the actual number could be slightly off) out of 405 total cards. That's a lot of stuff!
I agree that the token-making ability is kinda useless, though.

I don't know, at the moment I am quite torn with this <> thing.
There are a handful of cards that seem interesting, but I don't know if they are worth the effort. I guess we will need to suspend judgment until the full spoiler is released.

While we still have yet to see all of the cards, from what's been spoiled so far I think if you want to run true colorless cards the payoff isn't really the cards themselves. The cards are neat, but not strong enough to pull me away from running the other colors. What would pull me into colorless cards is the ability to run X/colorless as a "2-color" deck where you get to run as many colorless utility lands and mana rocks like Mishra's Factory, Quicksand, the Blighted cycle, Mind stone, etc as you want without hurting your access to your main color. That's the payoff. Getting Warped Wail to wheel around to you 13th pick is a nice side bonus, but not worth directing your draft for.

So, I think if you want a "true colorless" section in your cube to work out well, you likely need to increase the colorless utility land count by as much as you can. My opinion could obviously change based on the rest of the set, of course.
3635301959.gif

CML

Contributor
Looks like this colorless thing is going to be big enough to make a real theme of it.

I have no idea how I'd hybridize it with the artifact theme, but think it should be done.

The colorless lands in the ULD are going to get a lot better, due to lower opportunity cost.

Anyone want to take a crack at an updated colorless section? (Colored devoid cards that support the theme, and cards like Tezzeret or Tezzeret included)

no, I get that. I actually have boreal druid in my cube for this very reason. Still a little funny how far backward it looks.

Looks like there's not actually been many options at 1-2 cmc, things get wild at 3 cmc though. In theory it is correct for them to make it worse than previous 2 cmc options because in those sets colorless mana was much less useful.

editors: I am late to this party.

So... the zendikari work in purchasing now? What are we expediting? The next hedron chip shipment? The truck full of leather straps and pointy hooks not on time?

In any case, it's a neat/clean card. Not super duper powerful, but kinda elegant.

-----------------

Expedite {R}

Target creature gains haste until end of turn.
Draw a card.

oh I saw the art. Expediting isn't usually applied to a person where I work, is all:

expedite

(ˈɛkspɪˌdaɪt)
vb (tr)
1. to hasten the progress of; hasten or assist
2. to do or process (something, such as business matters) with speed and efficiency
3. to dispatch (documents, messages, etc)

Obviously they used #1, but in the engineer-to-order world, where you gotta order a buncha parts from a buncha vendors, Expediting = get the thing shipped to you faster. Paying for 1-day shipping is also expediting. So I found the usage of this word funny.

I get it, I was just throwing the art out there for folks who see cards for the first time here.

My young cousin had trouble grasping that a market can be a physical collection of stores/merchants, since the word is more-commonly used every other way it can these days. I couldn't help laughing because whenever I hear 'the black market' or 'market research' or similar I mentally picture a tiny market vending illegal stuff or getting flooded with clipboard-carrying psychology students because ye olde market is the way I first learned the word. I dunno.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I get it, I was just throwing the art out there for folks who see cards for the first time here.

My young cousin had trouble grasping that a market can be a physical collection of stores/merchants, since the word is more-commonly used every other way it can these days. I couldn't help laughing because whenever I hear 'the black market' or 'market research' or similar I mentally picture a tiny market vending illegal stuff or getting flooded with clipboard-carrying psychology students because ye olde market is the way I first learned the word. I dunno.

See Farmer's Market :p
See it has't totally vanished from modern parlance!