Article On Gender and Language

Thanks for this. I wouldn't call a judge over an opponent using "manland" the way I would over other language that is, unfortunately, still too common in many LGS, but I do think setting a good example when possible is great.

Magic players, and especially cube managers, like to think of ourselves as creative, intelligent people. Coming up with alternatives to phrases that exclude (even if they aren't explicitly hateful or insulting) should be seen as a fun linguistic challenge, not an annoying burden.

oh, i missed the discussion but thanks for making your perspective clear.

i've thought a lot about these type of topics in recent times because of some personal events in my life. speaking from experience, i do think people should keep in mind that it's easy to be offended or irritable when it seems like everyone and everything in the world is putting you down or harming you by exclusion (unintentionally or not). for the sake of metaphor, just imagine ten thousand people decide to poke you in the same exact spot on your shoulder. the first hundred times, who cares, but after a while, it's going to start hurting quite a bit. eventually you might snap and punch one of them in the face, and their reaction will be (quite reasonably from their perspective): "what's the big deal, i just poked you in the shoulder!!!". or you try to tell each of the ten thousand that, "hey, that's not cool, please don't do that again", and many say, "oh, sorry, my bad," but it becomes increasingly hard to forgive them with each one. does it seem so unreasonable?

so anything anyone can do to lessen that, is quite appreciated! words do matter.
these things are pretty hard to find any kind of "solution" to.

i'd also like to remind people that "SJW" has become pretty much meaningless in recent times, a codeword for "people I don't like".

thank you.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
i'd also like to remind people that "SJW" has become pretty much meaningless in recent times, a codeword for "people I don't like".
See, for me the discussion almost went south, because I did not know this. I don't think I've met a transgender yet, but have called people of pretty much every other walk of life (bonus question: what is the correct collective noun to use here?) a friend at one point or another in my life. It was very weird to find people peg me on another side of the discussion than I thought I was on myself. In hindsight I guess it's a good example of why words do matter.

read the thread, it was... frustrating, to say the least.

re: whoever was asking about "mankind", actually people have been replacing it with "humankind" for some time now. and i'm sort of shocked that nobody brought that up?

Aoret

Developer
Good article. Can we link the relevant thread for those of us who have been lax in our posting duties as of late?

lol sorry for making a scene guys I honestly just wanted some fun alternatives brainstorming and then we started talking about stereotyping and cost benefit analysis and I guess I felt like I needed to addresses some junk that came up along the way.

Good article. Can we link the relevant thread for those of us who have been lax in our posting duties as of late?

It is only known as the thread-which-must-not-be-named.

lol sorry for making a scene guys I honestly just wanted some fun alternatives brainstorming and then we started talking about stereotyping and cost benefit analysis and I guess I felt like I needed to addresses some junk that came up along the way.

I don't think it was a scene; I mean, not saying it was pleasant, but I dunno if it should be. I thought it was roughly as constructive as you can realistically expect such things to be. It could have gone way, way worse; that's for sure. I could see how YMMV; although I see it everywhere, I only discuss political topics on the internet maybe a couple times a year so it's probably less irksome to me.

CML

Contributor
that vids say "my opponent" instead of "him" strongly suggest that there's something horribly wrong with magic culture and language cannot fix it. personally i think they do more harm for encouraging people to think of the way things are as OK, or at least themselves that way, more than they do anything else. like ok let's make alesha trans, but life isn't a fantasy novel (thank fuck for that)

as for everything else, idgaf but as far as communities go mtg is pretty crazy in general and awfully accepting of transgender people, except for that time twitter really went apeshit after feline longmore, but who knows