General Opalescence emblem cube (brainstorming)

Hi, I'm new to this forum.
I've never made a cube before, but I had an interesting idea and I'm posting it here in this thread to get some juices flowing.

About a month ago I had the idea of creating a cube where every player has an Opalescence emblem.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=15142

In other words, throughout the draft,
"Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature in addition to its other types and has base power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost."

In games in this cube, (non creature, non Aura) enchantments are noncreature spells on the stack, and noncreature cards everywhere but on the battlefield, but they are creatures when on the battlefield, and enter the battlefield as creatures.

This could turn a lot of effects that would never even make it onto a kitchen table into quasi-playable Limited cards.
I've been playing Magic (badly) for close to 20 years at this point, and there are a lot of old cards kicking around in my head. Even I am not bad enough to have played with some of these pieces of cardboard, and at lot of them aren't even good enough for Type 4. Maybe with a power and toughness slapped on this is different.

Of course, the power level would probably have to be lower than a powered cube in order for the gimmick to be interesting, since the very best cards in Magic are by and large not enchantments. It may be boring but I want combat steps to matter in this cube, even if they're not the only thing.

Before you say it, these are cards I think would be totally degenerate:

Humility. No. Not because of rules headaches, but gameplay headaches.
Replenish: This is more powerful than I'd be looking for and it would go in almost every deck.
Parallax Wave: No. Parallax Tide probably not either. Parallax Nexus, maybe.

Standstill: This would be Kami of Ancestral Recall more or less, so I'd say it's a no given my desired power level.

Back to Nature: No.
Tranquil Grove: No.
Enchanted Evening: No (for one thing it makes all lands into 0/0 enchantment creatures). Also, Patrician's Scorn is probably too insane.

Sweepers:
I think some enchantment sweepers would be interesting, but more Fracturing Gust and less Tranquility.
Also, although it would be funny to have a cube where Root Greevil is nearly a first pick, I'd like to keep the sweepers symmetrical.
Nova Cleric could be OK. I could also see Serenity being interesting, but not fundamentally unfair.

One interesting thing about this cube is that every color can interact with these cards. Enchantment removal in white and green is now creature removal too. Creature removal in red and black is now enchantment removal too. Blue's probably still alright.
I do worry about white being too interactive though.

Possible themes could come out of the way normal situations are turned on their head here.
Actual creature cards will be much rarer in this cube than in most. Oath of Druids, Survival of the Fittest, Defense of the Heart, and Abundance come to mind.
Living Death is pretty interesting. I think it could be tuned to be interactive. Recurring Nightmare maybe too. It's a little less polarized as a utility Trained Armodon but probably still allows interesting lines of play.

World enchantments: It'd probably be worth including these on a card by card basis. As it turns out, most of them strike me as being worth a playtest at least.
Chaosphere in particular brings me to my next point:

Flying (and evasion) would be really really good.
Enchantments, unsurprisingly, are not usually printed with creature combat abilities.
Levitation is probably too good if it's playable at all.
Giving Moat flying and attacking with it sounds hilarious but I think it would probably be too good for the cube either way.

Cumulative upkeep: A lot of old enchantments have this, so something to interact with it could be good.
Mystic Remora in particular got me thinking it was worth the effort.

A few other random hits:

Afiya Grove is a 5/5 for 1G.
The Leylines are nice of course.
Dictate of Heliod now comes with a 7/7 for 5.
Caverns of Despair seems fun.
Trygon Predator is insane, but Azorius First-Wing isn't half bad either.

Etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Holy crap.

(I'ld elaborate, but clearly this is an insane idea you should go ahead with. What could possibly go wrong? :D)

More scattershot thoughts (I get the sense this isn't an uptight forum).

I want to be OK with Kiora's Dismissal, that seems tasty. In any other color I wouldn't think of it but I can't think of many blue cards that interact specifically with enchantments. (Annul's too cheap.)

On the other hand, it might be fun to try a version of this cube where every card was intentionally as disruptive as possible (Contamination could be fun).

A lot of the ridiculous color hosers from way back when are enchantments. I think stuff along the lines of Gloom is pushing it whereas Karma or Conversion are too much. I guess it depends on the cube's incentives for mono-color decks -- I'm guessing this is a call which probably comes much later along in this process.
Two of these, Absolute Grace and Absolute Law, came up because I'm interested in whether Pestilence and/or Pyrohemia have a place. I mean, Thrashing Wumpus is a card in real Magic.
Powerstone Minefield might be in exactly the wrong colors given things like Rise of the Hobgoblins, Legion's Initiative, Glory of Warfare. But maybe Mark of Asylum turns this into a deck without being too swingy.
I'd like to think every half decent deck should be able to interact with things like this.

I don't want the games to get boring, and a lot of square creatures will do that.
The cards that increase toughness are an interesting proposition in that setting: Parapet, Angelic Shield as above, but also Lashknife Barrier and Spidersilk Armor.
Wave of Reckoning becomes something like Plague Wind in that setting. Might be too good.

In a world of bears and armadons, 5 mana 5/5s and 6 mana 6/6s need a hand.
Big mana in general should have incentives. I want to attack with Mana Flare and Overabundance, and Captive Flame. Or maybe just Vernal Bloom. (But again, I like the idea of symmetrical stuff better.)
Possibly also lands. Natural Emergence has a funny condition.
I think I want to enable a Where Ancients Tread deck.
With this big things incentive in mind, Form of the Dragon would be fun. (...I think Day of the Dragons draws the game though.)

There's a risk of going full EDH (never go full EDH) but at least life totals aren't huge.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Aura Thief is a little too strong in your format, but it exists! Saprazzan Bailliff is sweet though!

Also, all of the constellation cards from Journey into Nyx are a hoot in your format.

I would shy away from the color hosers. It's no fun if your opponent drops a Karma on your ass in constructed (ok, Peasant mainly nowadays), so why would it be fun in cube?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
It seems the the global keyword giving cards are going to be extremely powerful in this cube.

Are you going to run actual creatures in this cube? I mean, in general they seem redundant as every enchantment is a creature anyway, but are there a select few that are awesome you are thinking about?

Laz

Developer
It seems the the global keyword giving cards are going to be extremely powerful in this cube.

Are you going to run actual creatures in this cube? I mean, in general they seem redundant as every enchantment is a creature anyway, but are there a select few that are awesome you are thinking about?

*Evil laugh*

I love how many crazy ideas have made it onto one random card or another in Magic's history.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I like how this gets around the problem of Enchantments having a narrow range of answers in a random environment. It's not a universal buff, but allows for more play.

Random tangential idea, since this reminds me of Netrunner in a way:
CARDNAME
Pay X: Destroy CARDNAME. Either player may activate this ability.

or

Pay X Life: Destroy CARDNAME. Either player may activate this ability.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I like how this gets around the problem of Enchantments having a narrow range of answers in a random environment. It's not a universal buff, but allows for more play.

Random tangential idea, since this reminds me of Netrunner in a way:
CARDNAME
Pay X: Destroy CARDNAME. Either player may activate this ability.

or

Pay X Life: Destroy CARDNAME. Either player may activate this ability.

I worry about the second one more. could be very hard to stabilize.

I feel like there is a lot of room to involve enchantments in a cool curated draft format with something like a peasant magic + power level.

I always think about how many solid enchantment creatures there are now, how much great removal there is in the enchantment slot and the ways permanent spells and onboard tricks differ from cards that go straight to the graveyard.

These themes have totally interested me in more moderate formats:

Thats really not even getting into my love of Seal Spells or Spellbombs. Not to mention all the dumb stuff enchantment themes allow in terms of voltron decks and devotion garbage. Remember also any enchantment that sticks around after a sweeper like geddon or wildfire is giving you serious advantage.

Winds of Rath, Replenish and Auramancer are non garbage cards that make enchantments more interesting, even if they sometimes lead to very boring games.

Man I forgot how much I love lethal vapors what a sweet card jeeze!

CML

Contributor
I feel like there is a lot of room to involve enchantments in a cool curated draft format with something like a peasant magic + power level.

I always think about how many solid enchantment creatures there are now, how much great removal there is in the enchantment slot and the ways permanent spells and onboard tricks differ from cards that go straight to the graveyard.

These themes have totally interested me in more moderate formats:

Thats really not even getting into my love of Seal Spells or Spellbombs. Not to mention all the dumb stuff enchantment themes allow in terms of voltron decks and devotion garbage. Remember also any enchantment that sticks around after a sweeper like geddon or wildfire is giving you serious advantage.

Winds of Rath, Replenish and Auramancer are non garbage cards that make enchantments more interesting, even if they sometimes lead to very boring games.

Man I forgot how much I love lethal vapors what a sweet card jeeze!

yeah they really blew the enchantment theme with theros. the entire block wasn't that awful in retrospect but it was quite bad. the enchantment theme is that creatures are also enchantments for no reason? the other flagship mechanics either make miserably linear decks (TWO MECHANICS ARE LIKE THIS?) or are impossible to scale w/r/t mana efficiency for both limited or constructed? ugh

at any rate this upsets me because i think had they executed it even one scintilla better then we could have had fun enchantment themes in cube. as is, there's not enough for me for the themes to fit in organically.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Flavor-wise, I think they did a pretty good job of tacking the enchantment type onto creatures. If it's from Nyx or infused by the gods it's an enchantment. They messed up in the execution on a good amount of the cards (enchantment humans?) but I like the hook. I also like constellation as a mechanic, and I wish they had introduced it earlier in the block. So does WotC in hindsight, so we can only hope they learned something from this.

CML

Contributor
hmmmmmmm maybe i just dislike modern magic flavor in general. the flavor text used to be genuinely clever from time to time and now reads like it was written by 10-year-olds. the theros story is lame. there are no characters in any format and this is part and parcel with the way sci-fi and fantasy work but there are also no plots to take the place of substance.

even when mtg flavor was sweet, or at least i experienced it as such, maybe because i was a kid, the name magic is a disaster because it makes normal people think it's way dorkier than it actually is, so then it becomes dorkier. seriously, growing up, how many of you told an adult you were playing magic and they asked you to perform for them?

I know everything is kicker, but constellation is the Ally theme.

I am realizing that a lot of these cards are either enchantments because they're mana sinks or because they make global rules, but either way, most of them aren't going to have interesting board presence.

Maybe I should just sharpie individual power and toughness onto all of them.

even when mtg flavor was sweet, or at least i experienced it as such, maybe because i was a kid, the name magic is a disaster because it makes normal people think it's way dorkier than it actually is, so then it becomes dorkier. seriously, growing up, how many of you told an adult you were playing magic and they asked you to perform for them?

I try to refrain from even saying the name I just say I play games or cards.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I like Heroic, Constellation, and Devotion all by themselves, but having them sandwiched into the same block (with awkward spacing because we need a set for Tribute and Inspired!) was weird. Theros the set had a lot of fun cards, and I think JtN is underrated, but BotG is the worst set in years and the payoff for Constellation is really bad.

Chris Taylor: Opalescence only affects non-Aura enchantments, and my emblem would too.

Mostly constellation looks unappealing. Depending on how many creature cards I use I might put Strength of the Fallen in as a payoff for some sort of creature cards in graveyards archetype.

As far as enchantress types I might do Verduran and Mesa Enchantress but probably no more.

I fear if I put too many crazy things in it will play like Avacyn Restored.

That could be interesting. I don't know many enchantments would interact too powerfully with it.

Of course, this one is probably insane in general, and not much weaker than Standstill: