General Other News

Scryfall wants me to use the "View all prints" so that is what I am going to do and try to get use to. It will be a lot slower but perhaps I'll fall in love with the visual design :)

Still a little weird they have the 2018 Promo lands in the 2007 spot.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
This convo seems like a non-starter because we acknowledge that Scryfall's UI can do all of what MCI's can and more, but MCI's was a lot more intuitive for various tasks. I liked that I could get >90% of my everyday queries by quickly using a few dropdown menus and not needing to consult the documentation

This convo seems like a non-starter because we acknowledge that Scryfall's UI can do all of what MCI's can and more, but MCI's was a lot more intuitive for various tasks. I liked that I could get >90% of my everyday queries by quickly using a few dropdown menus and not needing to consult the documentation

I don't know what non-starter means, but also,

we acknowledge that Scryfall's UI can do all of what MCI's can and more

I don't agree with this at all. Scryfall can't do complex oracle text queries, nor can it do proxy stuff.

In general Nonstarter means counter-productive, time-wasting, etc. etc.

Basically, we aren't actually doing anything with the convo, if you want something: https://scryfall.com/feedback

Like, MCI is gone, and maybe that's tough cookies, but there's a convenient way to strive towards improvement here.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I'm on CaptnIrony's side in this argument though: this feels like a hostile takeover on the part of Scryfall and, while Scryfall is impressive and a great resource, I wish the two could still coexist

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Please look at your link and tell me what is wrong with the link.

Can Scryfall show us which is older/newer?
The cards are literally sorted by release date, in descending order. The first Island in the search result is the newest, the last one is the oldest. There is nothing wrong with the link.

I click on the link and get:

Say what!?

Your browser sent something malformed that the site didn’t understand. Sorry about that. Let’s start over.

I don't see the big struggle here, though?? Right at the top of the search screen you can tell it to search by release date instead of name; no need for any fancy syntax or anything. Can select it in the advanced search UI too in "Preferences".

The cards are literally sorted by release date, in descending order. The first Island in the search result is the newest, the last one is the oldest. There is nothing wrong with the link.

This conversation doesn’t have to be this long. Please answer the question; Click on the link and look for these two lands. Tell me where you find this one:

5649C0F1-DBA6-4140-BAE9-EBEC8696D60B.jpeg

And this one:

87F931D9-4ADB-47B9-9F7A-A601C2154084.jpeg

Both are from 2018 (1 month a part). Now tell me which one is older and which is newer.

Please

Dude, if you want people to help with your weirdly specific request, it wouldn't hurt to be a bit more polite. Why do you need to know which one is newer?

Dude, if you want people to help with your weirdly specific request, it wouldn't hurt to be a bit more polite. Why do you need to know which one is newer?

We are debating the downside of Scryfall compared to Magiccards. I used Magiccards for a few things and they took that away.

This is an example of something Scryfall doesn’t do properly.

I know when they were released so I do not ‘need to know’. I am trying to point out a flaw but I am having a hard time since people will not even click on the link to find the cards that were released 1 month a part. I expect a large ‘Ahaaa’ wave when people actually click on the link.

I hope that cleared things up.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This conversation doesn’t have to be this long. Please answer the question; Click on the link and look for these two lands. Tell me where you find this one:

Aaah, now I see what you mean. The Grand Prix promo isn't in that link (edit: at least not where you'ld expect it to be). That was an honest mistake, I didn't realize it wasn't in there. You know, your first reply came off as very passive-aggressive. I'm trying to help here, and "Please look at your link and tell me what is wrong with the link." isn't exactly a helpful way of pointing out what's actually wrong with the link.

Anyway... The GP promo is there, but for some reason it only appears after the 10E prints, and before the Time Spiral prints (technically before the Magic Premiere Shop 2007 promo, but who remembers that one?). That could be an error in their database then!

Alright.

I did contact Scryfall but they do not care about properly assigning release dates to cards as long as they have fresh, crisp and beautiful artworks that shows up when people search for them. And they want round corners. They cannot stress that enough.

However it is not possible to use their web site if you want exact dates or order of released cards. Something I find quite sad because Magiccards was perfect for that.

They also do not want to have just one page with all cards of a certain name (example: Island) because, as they say, it will be ‘comically large’.

Finally they are sorry to hear about my feelings and they hope I will use Scryfall in the future.

Aaah, now I see what you mean. The Grand Prix promo isn't in that link. That was an honest mistake, I didn't realize it wasn't in there. You know, your first reply came off as very passive-aggressive. I'm trying to help here, and "Please look at your link and tell me what is wrong with the link." isn't exactly a helpful way of pointing out what's actually wrong with the link.

Anyway... The GP promo is there, but for some reason it only appears after the 10E prints, and before the Time Spiral prints (technically before the Magic Premiere Shop 2007 promo, but who remembers that one?). That's could be an error in their database then!

Exactly!

As I said previously it was super, super difficult for me to tell you guys exactly what I didn’t like about Scryfall because I had no photo to show you of how Magiccards did it. Because Scryfall has deleted all that. Now it is a little easier.

1: They do not have all cards exactly in order of date.

2: They do not have one page where you can see all cards lf a certain name. If you want to see all Islands you will have to switch pages back and forth.

I have also come to realize (with your help of course) that I CAN use this site. I will just have to get use to spending a little extra time. And I have to find exact release dates on other web pages.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Exactly!

As I said previously it was super, super difficult for me to tell you guys exactly what I didn’t like about Scryfall because I had no photo to show you of how Magiccards did it. Because Scryfall has deleted all that. Now it is a little easier.

1: They do not have all cards exactly in order of date.

2: They do not have one page where you can see all cards lf a certain name. If you want to see all Islands you will have to switch pages back and forth.

I have also come to realize (with your help of course) that I CAN use this site. I will just have to get use to spending a little extra time. And I have to find exact release dates on other web pages.

Still, I wonder, what use do you have for knowing when exactly a card appeared? I'm just wondering, what is that knowledge useful for. The same thing for having one page where you can see all cards of a certain name. There's exactly five cards for which all the prints don't fit on a single page, namely the five basic lands. The only other cards that come "close" are Evolving Wilds, Giant Growth, Llanowar Elves, and Serra Angel, and those have all been printed less than 40 times. Since Scryfall fits 60 images on a page, it's going to take a while before those will hit that threshold.

Harping on these two downsides seems, to me, like nitpicking. The likelihood of either of these downsides ever affecting my use of Scryfall in a meaningful way is basically zero percent.