Sets (OTJ/BIG/OTC/OTP) Outlaws of Thunder Junction & The Big Score Mega Testing and Includes Thread!

Then the next question is what comes out. Is it different enough/more interesting/better than Titan of Industry? And it's certainly different enough and probably stronger than Hornet Queen, but then I'd have two similar green 7s.
I like Titan and Wurm. Your 7s stabilizing through life and/or bodies is good. They feel pretty different because the Titan's value is immediate. Vaultborn into Tyrant would be nasty lol.

I feel like adding cards to the cube is a bit like buying books. There's always the incentive to add more. Allure of novelty I suppose

I've kind of leaned into this lately and am totally fine just removing the new hotness if and when they don't work out. No reason not to celebrate the exploration of new design space every two months, especially if that's about how frequently you can put together a draft :wagg:

I'm also adding some of these cards to my Multivalent peasant cube.

First off: the slam dunk include:

<-> Samut, Tyrant Smasher
Cactusfolk are a big flavor win in my book. I love the whole fantasy supertrope of anthropomorphizing random animals, plants, furniture, etc. To my delight, this guy perfectly fits in a hole in my cube where I wanted an incentive to draft more "power matters" stuff. Before this, the closest I got was Warden of the Chained, which technically fills the role but doesn't exactly excite drafters.

Now I've got to take a second to warble about the flagship mechanics in this set.
-Spree is a super-flexible modal mechanic that gives spells a ton of flexibility. Based on the goals of my Multivalent cube, this mechanic should definitely find a home here.
-Plot is a super-flexible cost/tempo adjustment mechanic that gives spells a ton of flexibility. Based on the goals of my Multivalent cube, this mechanic should definitely find a home here.

So naturally I'm including three (3) new cards with the

MOUNT TYPE, BAYBEEE (airhorn sound!!!)

The vibes of this mechanic are absolutely immaculate. Not only is the mechanic evocative and intuitive to understand, but the design team really didn't waste any opportunity to show off the design space here. The creatures themselves are beautifully exotic and fun, plus the mechanical bonuses are diverse and exciting, even without including any of the rares.

I adore this mechanic. I want this to be fully evergreen. Like, put this on every single plane. You did it. You fixed Banding at last. I want to saddle some giant spiders on Innistrad, noble leotau on Alara, savage tigorillas on Ikoria, and even some regular-ass horses on Eldraine.

Enlist walked so that Mount/Saddle could run. So happy they tested that awful "without summoning sickness" clause on Enlist, rather than saddling our beautiful new mounts with such unnecessary baggage.

In conclusion: yeehaw.

I really want Vaultborn Tyrant but I literally JUST added Protean Hulk and the poor boy hasn't even gotten a chance to squeeze out any eggs yet.

The HAS-WoTC plan, in addition to selling you cards you already own, is to print new cards so quickly that your gaggle can't flock in time for your goose to produce.

Protean Hulk is from 2006.

This is another big reason I don't want to cut it from the cube. Right now the environment is heavily weighted towards brand-new (like 2021 or later) cards. It's fun to have some 2000's era stuff in here, like Crystal Shard, Master of Etherium, and such. I think maybe Goblin Welder himself is the oldest card in the cube. (Basic lands excepted, of course).

Besides all this: I never owned a copy of Protean Hulk before this cube. He was in contention with Titan of Industry for my second Green 7-drop spot, and won out because I know he's much beloved by some members of my playgroup.

My dream is to sacrifice him to Birthing Pod and find Astral Dragon (plus 6 mana worth of Astral Dragon clone targets)

In my dream, I don't have to read the card. I don't have to explain the card. I just activate the Pod and win the game in a manner so breathtakingly novel that my opponent shakes my hand and says: "Isn't it beautiful when something new comes into the world?"

We part as friends, each changed by my Astral Dragon targets (legal or otherwise)

In my dream, I don't have to read the card. I don't have to explain the card. I just activate the Pod and win the game in a manner so breathtakingly novel that my opponent shakes my hand and says: "Isn't it beautiful when something new comes into the world?"

We part as friends, each changed by my Astral Dragon targets (legal or otherwise)
I was gonna make up some goofy line where you make two Pods and Pod the Dragon, but the Pods won't have haste unless you grab something you'd never cube with the Hulk. Astral Dragon plus Cursed Mirror is cool, though.

Hell, Astral Dragon is pretty sweet for potential shenanigans.

Your enthusiasm for Saddle is palpable, but none of the Mount creatures are a good fit for my cube. When they finally print the type line Creature — Dragon Mount… that I will find hard to resist.
It'll be in the Wheel of Time Universes Beyond set