Sets (OTJ) Outlaws of Thunder Junction Previews

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I love the big score frame, it looks sick on the lands
1712160372919.png
I don't love memory issues.lnd here, it might just be additive distraction since you need 3 seperate monocolor permanents to actually net mana, and even if you get there it's extremely fiddley

1712160479500.png1712160483574.png
This is also a sweet little guy, nice channel ability

1712160483574.png

This is great! I may consolidate Necron Deathmark and Shriekmaw into this

Dom Harvey

Contributor
We've been nagging them to print a green Blade Splicer for years and the madlads printed one that's yet another crossover piece with a counters theme, you absolutely love to see it

Also, BIG (the OTJ aftermath set they decided to just shove into the list slot because aftermath sucked) is delivering again! This time a chonky Cactus boy with artifact AND graveyard synergies. It reminds me a bit of Carnage Interpreter in that it's an overstatted body with a ton of value attached... Only without the downside of discarding your hand.

View attachment 9516

From a mechanics point of view I love the card and it's a good fit for my cube, but I'm a bit worried that it is too strong. Is this stronger than Esika's Chariot?

Also, 10 more BIG cards to spoil, so far there were a lot of interesting (and quite strong) designs among them.

Chariot is still the best in class IMO - leaves behind better stuff vs spot removal, easier to cast/splash, ceiling is higher. This card is also great though!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Tarnation Vista has the broken look to it. Every time a land can add more than one mana without sacrificing itself, it can be dangerous.
It feel you, but needing stuff in play does temper it a bit. This is closer to Nykthos than Ancient Tomb, and BOY is that condition harder.

Chariot is still the best in class IMO - leaves behind better stuff vs spot removal, easier to cast/splash, ceiling is higher. This card is also great though!
Porque no los dos?

Oh yeah for sure. I didn’t mention cube. Outside cube there are so many situations where those lands are super spicy from a Spike’s point of view.

I think this is also the reason why Wizards make so so so few of these lands per year on average.

I love the big score frame, it looks sick on the lands
View attachment 9520
I don't love memory issues.lnd here, it might just be additive distraction since you need 3 seperate monocolor permanents to actually net mana, and even if you get there it's extremely fiddley
I was thinking this one might be good for my cube. It's not fast mana, but it can contribute to some bigger cards later. "Monocolored" is the big safety word on this one AND it comes in tapped. It can give +3 mana, but only if you have five or more permanents out in a five color deck. Seems pretty fair.
View attachment 9521View attachment 9522
How strong is this? I really like its combination of early and mid-late game play, and it can counter some of the Spawn/Scion action I have going without blowing out aggro on turn 2-3, but it seems like such a solid body for that ETB.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I was thinking this one might be good for my cube. It's not fast mana, but it can contribute to some bigger cards later. "Monocolored" is the big safety word on this one AND it comes in tapped. It can give +3 mana, but only if you have five or more permanents out in a five color deck. Seems pretty fair.

How strong is this? I really like its combination of early and mid-late game play, and it can counter some of the Spawn/Scion action I have going without blowing out aggro on turn 2-3, but it seems like such a solid body for that ETB.
I think it's fine, solid but not broken. I know you're no universes beyond enjoyer, but Primaris Eliminator played great for me, and as you say this body is solid. I say give it a shot
Maybe don't buy a real copy tho, modern living end might want these, they might end up expensive given how hard vault cards are to open.

Ancient-Cornucopia-extended-BIG-265.jpg

Nothing special, but the life gain could add up. Probably barely better than the unremarkable Pristine Talisman, though. Would have been really cool as an ETB tapped Bloom Tender mana effect or something. Or even the Tarnation Vista mana effect without the 1 cost. They're encouraging multicolor, but played it too safe on this one.

Generous-Plunderer-showcase-BIG-265.jpg

This is definitely interesting. Pretty aggressive, weirdly supports both players ramping. Does this fit in an Eldrazi cube???

Ancient-Cornucopia-extended-BIG-265.jpg

Nothing special, but the life gain could add up. Probably barely better than the unremarkable Pristine Talisman, though. Would have been really cool as an ETB tapped Bloom Tender mana effect or something. Or even the Tarnation Vista mana effect without the 1 cost. They're encouraging multicolor, but played it too safe on this one.
I bet this was nerfed during development because it gave you mana for each life you gained or whatever nonsense and they couldn't make it work.

Commander cards!

sandscout.jpg

How close this is to a delightful card. The first ability only grabbing a Desert is a death sentence for this card, if not from a lack of viability then from an additive complexity standpoint. I really want this second ability in my Cube, bespoke token or not.

Crack a fetch land? Get a dude.

Self mill? Get a dude.

Pop a Horizon land? Get a dude.

Wasteland your opponents' triome? Get a dude.

I hate the "only once each turn" rider on many cards, but it's the worst here because it's not as though there's easy ways to go infinite here, so it's just extra text on an already long card.

Could have very easily been my favorite card in the set, but making my drafters' eyes glaze over like this is, as the kid's say, "not it"

---

angelofindemnity.jpg

I've already seen arguments that this is better than Sun Titan for Cube and I probably agree? The difference between 3MV and 4MV is huge when it comes to power-level, especially these days. Besides, you'll be happier getting 5 life and an aerial attack out of this than the second pseudo-Helping Hand trigger in many scenarios. Not sure if I want to make that swap myself, but it's more than justifiable, and I'm glad this card exists. I'll never be upset about cards that love a fat graveyard having upside if they're stuck in the graveyard themselves, either.

I would prefer it to simply have Unearth instead of Encore to avoid one-off mechanics, but at least it's got reminder text here.

----

thunderclapdrake.jpg

Another card where the additive distraction is an absolute card ruiner. Would love this if it just copied spells once regardless of commanders...I would be so happy in general if they literally never referenced commanders on any Magic card again, even for Commander the format's sake. It'd be a slam dunk in many of our Cubes if its activated ability was playable in 1v1!

As is, it's still not terrible. We have enough Welkin Terns for power-interested Cubes these days via Faerie Mastermind, Malcolm, Alluring Scoundrel, and even Copy Catchers (for those of us with exquisite taste) that it's easy to call this baseline "good", even if late 2010s mainstay and obvious analogue Baral, Chief of Compliance has only been able to hold on to his spot thanks to a recent Universes Beyond skin.

Just another frustration for me with the card as written. I even like the art!

--

backintown.jpg

Pre-OTJ, I've only got 24 Outlaws in my list, and none are more than 4 mana. Still...I want the boys to be back in town. I adore big reanimation spells, and I think Thwart the Grave is a lot closer to playable in large power-interested and power-motivated lists than its given credit for. This is probably worse, but it's also easier to read and draft around.

I'll come back to this after I finish my first draft of OTJ inclusions, but this might be a pet card I can justify for a few sets.

--

angelicsellsword.jpg

Now that's a Serra Angel!
--

pyreticcharge.jpg

I love Dangerous Wager effects, and I feel like this one is the best we've gotten. It does a lot of different things for different decks, and is probably as close as I can get to justifying pet card Mercadia's Downfall in my Cube. I think I can find room for this, especially with the flexibility given from Plot.
--

smirkingspelljacker.jpg

Desertion has made its way in and out of my Cube several times, and this addresses the issues I had with it. Not 100% sure it'll make the cut all the same, but this is a spicy card that will lead to some great stories and seems very fun.

--
rumbleweed.jpg

I want this in my Cube for purely selfish reasons. It's a much weaker but also much more interesting Craterhoof Behemoth that makes you work for it, almost a Riptidian version of the card. Will lead to better games and is not quite so impossible to overcome.

I imagine Earthshaker Giant, a card I cut for not doing enough, will be better in 80%+ of situations, so I think this a little too narrow for me, but again, happy to have this design. Funny name and flavor, too.
--

vengefulregrowth.jpg

Deeply tempted to make a new Cube just to play this card.

We-Ride-at-Dawn-OTC-265.jpg

Damn. The first half had me excited that this was Eldrazi-specific ramp.

Bounty-Board-OTC-265.jpg
Forgers-Foundry-OTC-265.jpg

@Onderzeeboot ?

Lock-and-Load-OTC-265.jpg

Storm(ish) Draw a card won't matter for us, but this is cool to see.

Eris-Roar-of-the-Storm-OTC-265.jpg

New? token type. This one looks pretty decent.

Kirri-Talented-Sprout-extended-OTC-265.jpg

What a let down. It costs 4 mana to be a narrow +1 to hand every turn? And it has no power? I don't even think Commander players want this.

Cactus-Preserve-extended-OTC-265.jpg

Made me read the whole card before revealing it's Commander-only lol.

Territory-Forge-showcase-BIG-265.jpg

Love the design, but 5 is a lot. White custom of this for any card could be ok at 5.

Embrace-the-Unknown-extended-OTC-265.jpg

Slow, but should be fine in any format that can support Loam levels of slowness.

Rumbleweed is 1-2 mana away from being sweet.

Quite a few cool Desert cards.

Some of these Outlaw cards have me looking at The Black Cube again.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
We-Ride-at-Dawn-OTC-265.jpg

Damn. The first half had me excited that this was Eldrazi-specific ramp.
The Outlaw deck is such a letdown, but I am currently building an Aragorn the Uniter convoke deck, and this fits right in XD

Bounty Board could definitely be decent! The blue one doesn't do a whole lot in my cube, I don't think.

Cactus-Preserve-extended-OTC-265.jpg

Made me read the whole card before revealing it's Commander-only lol.
Did I mention have a Karador Desert Eldrazi deck already? Yeah, I think I might :D