General Putting lands in every pack

This could just be a terrible idea, but I was curious to know if anyone had any experience with it. I've been building a multi-color heavy cube inspired by the Eldrazi Spawn Domain cube on here and was worried that there may not be enough fixing (haven't played it yet so I really don't have much to go on, just a general impression. My version is a little more color intensive, though it isn't complete just yet).

The idea would be to construct 14 card packs randomly, and then add one land to each pack. In terms of what land to add, I hadn't really decided on it. I was thinking of using guildgates, or possibly even the vivid lands (that's probably too much, just thought the interaction with proliferate could be interesting).

Has anyone tried anything like this before? Is it just a terrible idea or worth trying out one night and finding out the hard way wether or not it's good or bad?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think it could be fine. It worked in DGM. But keep in mind that the cube (at least my design) already has 40 lands in it, and 1-per-pack is 24 lands. Are you including both? Only the 24? You'll want to make sure you have the numbers calibrated to what you want.

CML

Contributor
i don't think it worked fine in DGR, format would have been better with DGM gates at common instead (which would have worked out to ~2 guildgates / pack instead of 1).

OP, I think you can do this but i don't see the necessity of it, just shuffle em in and itll work fine

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
i don't think it worked fine in DGR, format would have been better with DGM gates at common instead (which would have worked out to ~2 guildgates / pack instead of 1).

Geez, that's a mind-blowing observation. We did end up getting like one and a half Cluestones per pack. Imagine if those were lands!

CML

Contributor
nah much closer to 2

edit: i'm too drunk to do math but yeah i dont rmember maybe youre right. still it seems a shame to waste fixing slots on poop cluestones

I agree with CML, it would probably work with 2 lands per pack, but it seems unnecessary since it would produce similar result as just shuffling the cube. Also with a set number of lands per pack (let's say 24 packs for a table of 8), the colour balance will be somewhat odd.
I also don't think it worked for DGM, most of the decks needed a little more fixing than 1 gate per pack, especially when some gates are opened in multiples. The added information of when lands are being taken if there's a fixed number of lands per pack is something I'd avoid as well.

CML

Contributor
calvin -- the first draft of history is kind to DGR (see DeMars's article on SCG), surprising since I usually agree with most everything he has to say.

id anyone else play an A+ format / am i the only one who played very few 'real' games of DGR (beyond color-screw etc.) and found the ones i did play underwhelming?