Raveborn Meddlings: My first cube, presentable at last!

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Did you say green 6-drop spells? May I introduce you to my girlfiend:

Edit: Naw, only just noticed it was taken out a couple of updates ago. That is what I get for not looking hard enough :\

Also, is this really a card?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Right now, if you cut all of the singleton breaking (not counting lands) you would be 24 cards smaller. That would put you at 416.

Not saying that you should cut all of the singletons, but remember that the smaller the cube the less important it is to have multiples to up density when you do the 2 player drafts. In addition, the smaller the cube, the less you need to break singleton to reach effect mass. For example, you could cut a swiftspear and noble, if you want to shrink your cube down.

As you noted, while you had a large cube, you also had a lot of chaff in it, which is ripe to rip out to bring your sections down to 50 per.

With your red section, for example, I would start by considering the cut of:

That brings you down to 47, though I would move that goggles to the artifact section, and honestly reforge the soul would probably go, so more like 45, which gives you five slots to play with. That should be enough slots to toy with to run some more generic storm payoff cards, other red sweepers, a more flexible LD package (pillage), or less restrictive to cast 2 drops (abbot of keral keep looks like something this cube really wants, and a great place to break singleton).

If you really want to bring the cube down closer to 360, it should be possible, but like you said, tuff cuts.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
But the rest of your suggestions make much less sense. In particular, Magma Jet and Monastery Swiftspear are really fun cards that I would never drop below 2 of. You even suggest I use the free slots to put in some "more generic storm payoff cards", after proposing I cut... the two storm cards in my cube, and a Swiftspear, one of the cards in my cube that also benefits from storm enablers. It's not that I take offense to the advice - it's interesting to get a new perspective - but I'm having a difficult time following some of your reasoning. I appreciate the ideas all the same, though!

Let me rephrase that a little bit, I was just going through how I would cut the section down to better accommodate a 360 cube (something I wasn't clear on). I know you had been asking about reducing the overall size, and was curious how it might looks if you were to go to that extreme. The take away lesson seems to be that the cost of going down to 360 is too much for what you are looking for, and 400 would probably be more comfortable.

I've generally found that 360 cubes feel really competitive for space, so a lot of the actual storm cards have slowly made their way out for more flexible de facto storm effects: young pyromancer, guttersnipe, monastery mentor, talrand, sky summoner and so forth.

Because its more competitive for space, it can be hard to run multiples of non-essential cards, however partial one might be too them. Thats why I was imagining the magma jet and swiftspear going, in order to make room for any more essential cards. Of course, with the leftover space (I think we had 5ish cards) you could turn around and add them back in. Its probably a good sign that the skeleton of your red section comes out to around 45ish cards.

Chaff was probably a bit too negative sounding, its more that at 400+ its easier to nail down the essentials of a section, but still have room for more narrow cards, that can be fun or interesting, but might be dead in a certain % of drafts. Thats an advantage of having a larger format.

I really enjoy your cube updates, they're always full of enthusiasm. I like your three new pillars of lower power, less removal, more graveyard stuff and smaller cube very much too. I think all in all your changes look very good, some comments:

White: I would be surprised is aethersworn cannonist and twilight shepherd did very much, but I please let us know if they play differently. Have you considered emeria shepherd? I'm really glad to see balance finally go.

Blue: have you considered millikin instead of deranged assistant? Dream twist does seem narrow like you say. Thoughtscour would be better (fights TOL tutors too) but doesn't trigger vengeance I guess?

Black: corpse augur looks variable but again pls let us know how it goes. It feels odd to be upping graveyard enablers and removing phyrexian reclamation.

Red: all looks great.

Green: talaras battalion looks like a pain to turn on.

Other stuff: all looks good.

Comments might come across as negative, but they're just the things that Spring out to me, the majority of everything else does look really cool.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Thank you! I'm glad to hear anyone but me reads them! :p
Most of the time when people write up large change lists and/or results analysis of the last draft, there isn't much you can actually reply to unless you have had similar realizations.

This is why I like the 'like' system. Sure it isn't as good as getting some feedback that you can bounce-off of, but if you went to the effort of writing a post for 15+ minutes (I should know I have done a couple of large posts like that) then you'll be damn sure I'll throw a like your way. I mean, I always appreciate when I see a little alert to know that someone has read my post.

I also try and pump out a couple of drafts for people as a thanks as well.
Keep up on pumping out the awesome posts!

draft, I like to pumping
Most reply system!
results should I?
people reply minutes posts, you'll read post.
I 'like' should damn my!
write much as well. Keep!

Reactions: B8R
Awesome patch notes. I bet you'll be happy with 360 - I'm unlikely to change from it - but ahaha if you thought making cuts was hard before...

Love the increased gold focus!

As always, love your patch notes <3 I'm suspicious about a few of your adds (ghost lit guy, and mark of fury in particular) but I like your openness to trying things out. Ribbons of night is a great card and add.

I wanted to ask how the lovely enthralling victor has been for you?

RavenbornMuse said:
Mark of Fury I think fits well in quite a few places; spells-matter likes it, as does Eidolon of Blossoms/any future enchantress themes. I also liked it to set up Jori En, Ruin Diver to meet the trigger every turn easily. It's definitely a bit of a shaky include, but I'm curious to see it play out. It could very well be terrible, though; a peek at my older update posts shows a lot of me blustering excitedly for something that quietly gets cut a few weeks later. :p
Have you thought at all about Mark of Eviction? If you are looking for a repeatable enchantment effect, this one could serve that function as well as affecting the board.

Also, what has been your experience with Increasing Confusion? I had it in my underpowered cube as well, and my play group felt it was too powerful/unfun as an non-interactive blue win condition. Have you had any grumblings about this card?

My partner and I are playing your cube, kirblinx's draft decks:
http://i.imgur.com/jTnnaG9.png

new:
8QRTRp9.png

I did a couple of drafts of your cube, and there's a couple that I just had to share:

Alfonzo_Bonzo's draft of Raveborn Meddlings on 08/05/2016 from CubeTutor.com

I just love this. It has the mystical tutor/seasons past loop, mana superiority from primeval titan, oracle of mul daya, garruk wildspeaker, and spells at all curves for the seasons past. Decree of Pain is amazing here, as you can 'cast' it for five and then get it back later or even cast if for full effect. I've added it my cube because of this.

mardu control from CubeTutor.com

This one is cool too. I think I first picked Mizzix's Mastery to see what it could do, and love how radiant flames and painful truths helps enable this (though I think Nahiri is helping lots more cool decks happen). How has original Elspeth been for you? Seems pretty interesting.

Random poking-around alert. How is your double cabal therapy working out so far? You still have them that way, so I imagine fairly well? How is the card for you overall? Is it overly skill-testing, or is the flashback nice enough to be ok with fully-blind naming? Thanks!

My backup would probably be blackmail? Trying to dump a transgress the mind I haven't been fond of

that does help a lot thanks! Props to the best of coincidental timing, I guess :p. Unfortunately I think my drafters would end up relying on the second chance too much, ie. we don't play often enough/they aren't deep enough into the game to really plan through what cards are actually in my cube :oops: (combined with the fact that it's not straightforward to gain value off the flashback)

I suppose that could be Grade A+ BS though, which would make me more than happy. Still think blackmail is def safer, and is a cool minigame in of itself.

I'll just take a moment to be sad that Blackmail foils are 7 dollars :(

Nice post! Do you have any ideas for what the decks would look like? Like any actual 23's? Maybe we could start with just a RG lands deck, that I know Grillos been looking into. The red filter cards, Rude awakening, Life//Death, Assault, some green midrange fatties? Some green grave pulses, etc.

I'd also worry that maybe stuff like rampaging balloths and avenger of zendikar is just really good without comboing, so they end up in villains deck and just outpower us?