Rogue Community Cube

I've been chatting with a guy named Kevin Crimin (aka Rogue Deckbuilder on YouTube) because I may be doing some work for him, and I mentioned this site and cubing in general. That in turn inspired an idea where a bunch of (especially, not exclusively) YouTube Magic players would get together to create a cube.

The way it works is that each person picks one main card. Then they pick five cards that synergize with it and those six cards go into the cube. The power level is supposed to be kept fairly low and focus on synergy rather than raw power level.

Now, of course it's going to be unbalanced and unrefined and very rough. But it also seems fun, so I wanted to participate.

Here's my entry:

Here's the cube tag on his website: http://roguedeckbuilder.com/tag/cube/

On the sidebar of that same site you can see most of the current picks (he's a little behind, mine aren't up there for instance).

He did say that he'd be happy for Riptide Labs to participate. I'm not sure if that means just an official representative or if he's open to any and all members to start sending him cards.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
This is a cool idea, though there is obviously a difference of opinion on what constitutes "fairly low power level" and "a focus on synergy".

Including Hidden Strings was a baller choice, I love that card.

If someone were to want me to do one of these, I'd probably go with Flickering Ward.

This is a cool idea, though there is obviously a difference of opinion on what constitutes "fairly low power level" and "a focus on synergy".

Including Hidden Strings was a baller choice, I love that card.

If someone were to want me to do one of these, I'd probably go with Flickering Ward.

Yeah, there are definitely some choices by some of the other guys that I feel is pushing the line. It'll wind up just contributing to the rough feel I think. Even a rough first-draft of a cube is still fun though, so *shrugs*.

Flickering Ward as your primary card? How many things synergize with that card? I'm legitimately curious because I don't know where I'd begin for synergistic picks with that.

Either of those feel more build-around than Flickering Ward. It just feels like Ward is one of the "five" and not the main card. Enchantress actually seems pretty sweet as a build-around...

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Flickering Ward has synergy with a lot of other things though, as opposed to those two which really do lock you in

Also:

Hmm, quote function doesn't seem to work on Android...

I'm the only one that really thinks in terms of balance. It's mostly that the people that draft white think primarily in terms of combat damage. Every time they want a new card in white, the card they want to remove for it is an extort card.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Hmm, quote function doesn't seem to work on Android...

I'm the only one that really thinks in terms of balance. It's mostly that the people that draft white think primarily in terms of combat damage. Every time they want a new card in white, the card they want to remove for it is an extort card.

Do they not have wraths where you cube? :p

We have a few. I've actually reduced the number recently. I like to keep things consistently changing though, so maybe it's time to up that number again...

My 5 for flickering Ward would be:

Syndic of Tithes
Kor Spirit Dancer
Fabled Hero
Livewire Lash
Agent of the Fates

Those all seem pretty decent. If your opponent doesn't have a counterspell or instant-speed removal to negate your Flickering Ward (in all this time nobody has linked the card!) it seems like one turn is enough to get so much advantage they'd never come back from that. It does kinda make me sad though that the protection from a color thing is just completely ignored and the card is just being used as "WW: Get a triggered ability."

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
That's part of the beauty of the card: not only does it do a laundry list of other stuff, also including destroying opposing auras and turning off opposing tricks ( give there mulldrifter pro-blue so it can't be vensered), if those situations don't come up, the card is still really useful for "just" giving a creature protection from a color, which in itself can be protection from removal or evasion. Beyond that its changeable AND movable protection for minimal mana. The card is great.

If all it was being used for was activating triggers, there are a few other comparable cards you could pick, but only flickering ward gives you all that PLUS a useful card on its own (Shimmering Wings is playable I guess, but I wouldn't put it in a deck without a couple of combos, unlike Flickering Ward which can be played JUST for what it does).

That's part of the beauty of the card: not only does it do a laundry list of other stuff, also including destroying opposing auras and turning off opposing tricks ( give there mulldrifter pro-blue so it can't be vensered)

Now I'm sold. And I see your dilemma too. It's hard to show those sort of interactions because it's interacting with what your opponent is doing, not so much with other cards in your deck. I think with a write-up and/or a video pointing this out, I'd have been immediately sold.

In fact, I kinda want to get my hands on one of those for my cube... *goes off to look at how many other synergistic cards are already in there*.