Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Wilt-Leaf was pretty brutal when I was running a heavy token theme in GW. I've pulled the theme since, and Wilt-Leaf has been decent. I'm experimenting with pushing the power level back up so Wilt-Leaf is back on the bench, but I often think about putting it back in.

Sadly I'm not sure a 5 mana 2/4 is doing it for me, even if it has a really devastating trigger. The passive is really good in either red or white token decks but I'm not sure 5 is where they want that. Maybe I'll try the convoke anthem or the hall of triumph or something.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Man, it has overlap with so many strategies! At some point I'm going to try the lifegain aggro archetype, as well as retry the overlapping token/double strike strategies. Since spells matters is already awesome this would be a great fit at that point.

I'm not sure it's really a spells matter card as much as it is a colours matter card? Spells matter tends to put a lot of emphasis on card replacement and card type where as this thing just makes your burn spells and red 2/1s incredible on turn 6.

Long time lurker, first time poster

On the topic of Boros anthems that give +2/+2 to Figure of Destiny...

I've been thinking about running this custom version of Legion's Initiative:

{2/R}{2/W}
Red creatures you control get +2/+0
White creatures you control get +0/+2
{1} {W} , sacrifice legion's initiative: Exile all creatures you control. At the beginning of the next combat, return those cards to the battlefield under their owner's control. If {R} was spent to activate this ability, those creatures gain haste.

I like that it's playable in decks with access to only red or only white, but not sure if it might be too strong of an anthem for red.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Thats a fair argument. I'm still in the mindset where low power = pauper/peasent, and am a bit slow to take into account pre-NWO common design.

I suppose higher cc reanimates like unburial rites or dread return are actually better examples of "low power" reanimation, as odd as that might seem to say.

I'm oversimplifying of course. In your graveyard cube, exhume is probably not broken at all since both players will often get something back. It's the turn 2 Griselbrand that becomes a problem. And I love those two spells you listed. Dread Return in particular. Wonderful synergy in that card.

I don't know if lower powered was the right way to phrase it, but I like my reanimation conditional. I had forgotten about stitch together, I like that card.

Do you feel like the extra mana does that much difference?

Death is just your graveyard as well, which is a limitation, but I don't know if I'm after that kind.

Is jumping through a bunch of hoops making reanimator more interesting and reasonable? The way i see that card, it's only really gonna be worth while if what you are bringing back is really gonna fuck someone up. Like you probably aren't playing that card happily in a value reanimator deck.

Do you guys really have such a problem with necromancy? I guess hitting your opponent's yard is kinda rough. There's gotta be another way guys.