Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I'm running 0 wastelands and 1 tec edge. I have some LD in the main cube and other things that can deal with lands like song of the dryads. It hasn't really been an issue where I've felt I needed more answers to lands. That might change if we get enemy manlands though.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The problem that I had with wasteland was that the metagame relationship it was supposed to represent was never real: 3 wastelands at 360 is less than 1% of your cube. You just can't really base a "legacy feel" on that. In general, i think people in actual legacy play around wasteland too much, and its certainly incorrect to play around it in cube when its such a small % of the meta.

Now, players with a legacy background might overvalue it, but none of my guys have a legacy background, so its only impact in my meta was blowing up manlands (good) and sometimes mana screwing or color screwing someone (bad)-because thats, well, what ld does. Tec edge fills the same function, but does it without the negative, due to its condition (as much). So does ghost quarter at a fraction of the real world cost.

Also, the eliot quote is way better than then judge foil art. en garde!

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Wasteland was really strong in my cube and more importantly it was making games less interesting. The decks that could best use it (Goblins, Other Red based aggro, White based heroic) just didn't need the power boost. I swapped into x2 tec edge in the land draft which don't get taken much, but its an option for nuking manlands. Rishadan Port is the proper cost for stunting an opponent's growth out of a land slot.

I run 2 Ghost Quarter and it handles ULD shenanigans just fine for us without ever feeling too bad. And it's fun with Titania sometimes

Thoughts on
?

Seems like it could be fun but I was thinkin it might also just be too slow

I personally am not a fan of Entreat. I run Secure the Wastes and Tempt with Vengeance as my two X token makers. I dislike Entreat as compared to them because:
-Entreat is a sorcery, and the tokens don't have haste
-Miracle is super high-variance and Entreat might as well be Decree of Justice without it
-Angels don't have any tribal synergy, but Warriors do
-Entreat is a 5-drop at best unless miracled
Idk, I just find it boring and kinda gamble-y. If you're looking for an X token spell in White I really recommend Secure the Wastes, it goes great in a lot of deck types.

I hate 1/1 tokens and find them generally extremely boring, as they usually just contribute to board clog; it's part of why I run few token-makers. We like Miracles here, but I suppose I may just pass for now. We'll see if I can find a deal or not on the FTV Entreat.

This is probably too custom for this thread, but I think if Azorius Justiciar read like so:
Azorius Justiciar {2}{W}{W}
Creature—Human Wizard
Flash
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may detain up to two target nonland permanents your opponents control. If you do, return Azorius Justiciar to your hand at the next end step.
3/2

It would be pretty sweet. You could use it to beat and stop blocks in aggro, or as a resilient vs. sorcery-speed removal finisher in control.

EDIT: Raveborn, if your group likes miracles, Entreat's value goes up by a lot. That's my main reason for disliking the card. Test it out!

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Rhystic Study isn't very good. Its a card that accrues value in the long term, but as the game stretches out you are less likely to be able to get value from it. Maybe I'm wrong, but its about the same power level as diviniation: potentially better early but a way worse topdeck.

Yeah. I think you can squeeze about three cards from this on the play? Which is fine! But it's probably really slow. Doesn't matter how many cards you have when your dead.

I feel like I would rather run Divination in 1v1 for the immediate and guaranteed value.

Cute control finisher or efficient beater that synergizes with stuff that likes dying? Is the drawback too big?

I feel like I would rather run Divination in 1v1 for the immediate and guaranteed value.

Demonic Taskmaster

Cute control finisher or efficient beater that synergizes with stuff that likes dying? Is the drawback too big?

I feel like you'd need a very low-powered, token-heavy cube to pull that off, and even then, I'd rather be gambling with Master of the Feast's drawback than getting set up for a 2-for-1 with this guy. If he just had something a little extra.. But as-is, heck, Necrogen Scudder might even prove more easily playable. I don't feel good having just 1 creature out, and Taskmaster really, really seems like he just wants some "me" time out there.

Thoughts? I'm looking to give blue some more things to do at higher costs. I'm guessing Mind's Desire needs more Storm support than I'm ready to give it. Psychic Overload is like a blue Faith's Fetters variant, and due to the low artifact supply in my cube, I really like the idea of using it to keep a needed land tapped down forever.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Overload seems really bad; fetters is already kind of marginal I feel, and this version has none of the incentives of shutting off all activated abilities of the card or life gain.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Faith's Fetters marginal? I cut it because it's pretty gross on aggro decks.

Re: Stolen Goods

- Only hits instants and sorceries
- Can whiff
+ More control over what you steal
+ Has the chance to be a 2-for-1
+ Secretly supports mill

I already run Talent, and it's very awesome. It's picked pretty highly and gets a good laugh when it whiffs. I'm not sure if I'd want to double up, though it's an interesting thought...

And I'll second Fetters being pretty gross. I still run it because we're evil over here, but yeah, that card is really mean in my environment, and totally worth splashing for most of the time to shut down whatever the opponent might have to break the board state.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Its a fine card, but its also slow and clunky; and it makes up for that via lifegain. Overload is just as clunky, but dosen't have the life gain or the same utility to help make up for those weaknesses.

So it's like a blue Suppression Bonds!

I don't get Talent/Goods -- 4 mana to hit a random card that'll often (usually? almost always?) not be worth four mana? Or, you know, worth any mana at all for board situation you're in?