Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

ha my original reference to preordain (and it being my favorite cantrip for cube use by far) was in a really shitty bernie sanders joke

and the other 'crux' of my ideas on blue cantrips was partially typed in all-caps and also contained the word 'hooey'

i can see why this is going swimmingly

--

to try one last swerve back towards constructed conversation:

grillo, you said a few places that ponder is a fine T1 play (without shuffling). that's my biggest disagreement here. we're still playing limited, and not the vault-key or T2 iona kind usually. hands are often fairly crappy, and digging for one card -- ponder's biggest strength by far -- i think is much less useful in the early game than the general selection of preordain for when you want to just hit land drops, or just have any castable spells. if i have two lands in my opener and see one land in the top three with my T1 ponder, if i don't shuffle as the spell resolves i'm guaranteeing that i miss my fourth land drop. or, whatever similar situation for a land-heavy hand.

or late-game, if you're losing to a dauthi marauder and ponder into removal-crap-crap ("crap" i.e. extra lands, outclassed creatures, etc)... if you want the answer to your current on-board problem, you're drawing two crap cards next. of course sometimes it'll be crap-crap-crap, and ponder will shuffle itself into the best possible card. i just don't think that situation is as frequently encountered or as useful as preordain's reliability at every point in the game.

ponder is skill-testing, and does cool things for tempo and sequencing. but preordain makes people not lose MTG games for crappy random luck, and that's why it's my preferred card in this slot.

I got my butt kicked by T1 Honored Hierarch during Trios at GP SD side events. The dude I played mulled to 5 both times, on the play, and managed to stick it on T1 each time. It definitely jumped him pretty far ahead both times and you never want to waste removal on a dork. That aversion to killing the dork is only magnified in a Cube most of the time. It made total sense in hiw GW Renown deck that just wanted to aggro out, so a 1/1 for G that turns into a 2/2 made a lot of sense. Even then, I'm just not sold on it. It's just such a bad card if you can't get in with it unimpeded on turn 1. It's straight up dead at any other point of the game. Any regular dork can at least be a whatever draw on T3 or T4 because they'll jump you up one mana the following turn. This guy just stinks most of the time.

On Other v. Brainstorm, I feel like Brainstorm definitely has the highest upside in our fetch heavy environments by far, but ones in which there are lesser shuffle effects, I could see either Ponder or Preordain being better. I just like that you actually DRAW the 3 then put them back, makes for interesting interactions with other cards. I like that you can use Brainstorms as pseudo-team pumps at instant speed for the Prowess decks, maybe draw yourself into a burn spell to clear another blocker. You'd want a Ponder or Preordain effect the more control-heavy you are, but Brainstorm fits into more decks in my Cube at least. The only times I'd rather have a Ponder are if I'm playing a control build and actively digging for an answer or a boardwipe. Otherwise, I'd want Brainstorm just about every other time.

I've long had a 4/1 split of Brainstorm/Ponder, but I think I might try out 3/2 in the near future.

re: some other conversation somewhere about this guy that brought up stromkirk noble--

i think that stromkirk noble works in red because they have about a million ways to clear a t2 blocker and get your 1-drop up and running. green? it's more of a "well i hope they don't play anything" which isn't really a phrase i want to hear often in cube gameplay

Has anyone tried

? It seems like a card that probably turns on most games, and there's not a lot of enchantment removal flying around in my format.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
to try one last swerve back towards constructed conversation:

grillo, you said a few places that ponder is a fine T1 play (without shuffling). that's my biggest disagreement here. we're still playing limited, and not the vault-key or T2 iona kind usually. hands are often fairly crappy, and digging for one card -- ponder's biggest strength by far -- i think is much less useful in the early game than the general selection of preordain for when you want to just hit land drops, or just have any castable spells. if i have two lands in my opener and see one land in the top three with my T1 ponder, if i don't shuffle as the spell resolves i'm guaranteeing that i miss my fourth land drop. or, whatever similar situation for a land-heavy hand.

or late-game, if you're losing to a dauthi marauder and ponder into removal-crap-crap ("crap" i.e. extra lands, outclassed creatures, etc)... if you want the answer to your current on-board problem, you're drawing two crap cards next. of course sometimes it'll be crap-crap-crap, and ponder will shuffle itself into the best possible card. i just don't think that situation is as frequently encountered or as useful as preordain's reliability at every point in the game.

ponder is skill-testing, and does cool things for tempo and sequencing. but preordain makes people not lose MTG games for crappy random luck, and that's why it's my preferred card in this slot.

Ok, thats more reasonable.

I'll admit my background with ponder comes mostly from delver. That deck tends to run 17 lands, and its common to keep 1 landers, or otherwise somewhat flawed lands, on the basis that with x4 ponder and x4 preordain, you can find whatever your missing piece is.

I pretty regularly will shoot off a turn 1 preordain or ponder (though rarely turn 2), typically looking for a land. I've found both ponder and preordain work rather similar in that context, though I have a slight preference towards ponder. Ponder lets me determine what my next three draws will be, and if I miss I get to shuffle, have a shot at a land. If I miss on the redraw, I just have to hope the TOL cooperates, but the odds of this all going wrong is so low that I pretty regularly make this play.

Preordain works similarly, accept I only see 2 cards deep, than have to hope that the third card is a hit. Ponder is much better in this instance.

Their are a few differences though, from cube:

1. With delver, when running ponder and preordain together, you almost always want to ponder first, because you don't want to upset the scry from prordain if you can avoid it. This type of interaction in general, is sweet, and another reason why scry lands in cube are great.

2. Running 8 of the most powerful cantrips ever printed, means that even if I miss in my initial land searching, there is a good chance I either have a second cantrip in hand, or will hit on draw. However, some matchups are so condensed, that this can be a game losing stumble.

So I don't know, in terms of t1 play, looking to find a land or other fix another defect, I still prefer ponder.

I wasn't playing back in 2011, so the exact rational behind preordain rather than ponder in those decks I can't really comment on. It does seem strange, because caw blade has so many shuffle effects already in it (fetch lands and squadron hawk) the scry from preordain is going to be being constantly reset, and the outside shuffle mechanics seem to work much better with ponder.

I made some mild effort looking for a source explaining their choice, as its hard to be persuaded just by looking at deck lists without more context. The selection of preordain could be nothing more than negative information cascade for all I know.

I'm guessing, however, that the reason is rooted in the mana bases: those caw blade decks are running 26-28(!) lands, including 8 potential CIPT lands. If you are trying to constantly manage mana flood on your upcoming draws (especially as the deck thins once you cast caw blade), than preordain seems like a logical choice over ponder. Preordain seems to be run here for its ability to better control draws in a land heavy deck, which is different from my delver decks need to dig on turn 1 for land due to its land light design.

Again, I'm not sure one is being objectively better than the other, and not more a function of the deck that its in.

And so the battle of ponder vs. preordain continues.

"constantly manage mana flood" is a pretty accurate synopsis of what i want out of the ponder/preordain slot, and why i prefer the latter :)

--

delver (just the one card, not an archetype) is obviously a strong reason to prefer ponder (still assuming no fetches) -- you very much care what the top card of your library is. if you want 2-3-4 copies of the creature, that's certainly a strong reason to up the ponder count.

--

17/18 land delver (the archetype, still talking mostly about in pauper, but more or less applicable to legacy) also is happy with one land + ponder hands because the second land you see is frequently enough to win you the game. that's not the case in cube, hence my example of keeping a land-light hand and making a frumply face when an early ponder sees one land, two spells (or the opposite, since even the very aggressive decks want ~15/50 lands, while 17/60 is the equivalent of about 11.5/40).

I haven't read everything but I'll still voice myself:

- Ponder and Preordain are easily the most powerful ones exactly because they are the least synergistic and they always work very well; problem is they are so "anonymous", in that they are just a replacement for another card, which makes them unexciting to draft and not giving any identity to the deck
- Ponder, like brainstorm, leads to a lot of feel-bads, like leaving the best card on top and having two shitty ones after them. however, compared to brainstorm, it has the "downside" of enabling more shuffling, which should be avoided as much as possible to shorten games (on this topic, the cantrip that takes the least time to cast is probably serum visions)
- The fact that brainstorm enables instant prowess is very cool for a UR deck but probably not enough even if you have two of them

So to sum up brainstorm is less powerful than ponder (which is something i'm really ok with) and similarly synergistic but has a couple of upsides over it.
In the end, I think the best configuration for me is 2x Brainstorm 2x Thought Scour: the second one helps enable a mill deck and is just like a fetchland when coupled with the former. They're also both instant speed which is good with double monastery swiftspear and a couple of prowess creatures in blue (especially the custom ones that some people are running...). It's just a pity you can't cast both of them for 1U, but I think any cube with good fixing can afford this

Laz

Developer
I guess it does pressure the opponent to do something in the early game? It feels like it would be pretty swingy, though even white control decks often have post-wrath turns to get it online. Is the black one more interesting?

On Brainstorm versus Ponder, Ponder is a stronger card in a vacuum. Brainstorm lets you include sweet 'top of library matters' themes, while sometimes being a worse card. Ponder is always Ponder.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
17/18 land delver (the archetype, still talking mostly about in pauper, but more or less applicable to legacy) also is happy with one land + ponder hands because the second land you see is frequently enough to win you the game. that's not the case in cube, hence my example of keeping a land-light hand and making a frumply face when an early ponder sees one land, two spells (or the opposite, since even the very aggressive decks want ~15/50 lands, while 17/60 is the equivalent of about 11.5/40).

I can see that. I have about 20 bouncelands in the penny cube so that "stuck on two lands" ponder I don't think is really an issue for us. In the scenario of searching for a specific card, I still prefer ponder because it gives you more bites at the apple, but I can see where you are coming from with preordain giving you more total control.

Turillazzo also brings up some good points about how annoying these cards can be when one of your players goes deep into the tank upon resolving one, as well as the shuffling interactions some of them induce. Thats one thing I don't miss at all from giving up fetchlands.

Another few sweet draw smoothers that tend not to get the spotlight:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
In terms of going deep in the tank, I prefer Preordain for that purpose at least, since "do I need this single card yes or no" asked twice in succession is usually a bit easier than "what about these 3 cards as a whole and in what order" asked once

Brainstorm certainly has a higher top end in decision complexity, given the hide things from discard spells/top of library matters etc, but it's not that complicated when you're shuffling immediately, and it's not that complicated when you're not shuffling at all, so it works out fine

part of the strength of ponder (in constructed) is that its "lock" situations can be mitigated by other cantrips (in the absence of fetchlands).

ponder itself obviously has a built-in shuffle. preordain can bottom one or both of the put-back cards. thought scour does the trick (though i can't think of any deck that combines those two cards, aside from sporadic legacy jeskai ascendancy attempts). brainstorm... is usually not great after a ponder keep :)

but similarly to you (@grillo) initially questioning brainstorm in the 20/360 fetch cubes, i don't think a 3 brainstorm, 2 ponder (or whatever) 360 cube really is going to provide drafters' blue decks with enough multi-cantrip hands for that to be relevant -- or, at least it's a point worth bringing up as i'm beating a dead horse continuing the discussion on why i'm more iffy on cubing ponder.

--

more re: thought scour:

i have enough new/bad mtg players who i cube with that i'd rather play mental note to keep them from pointing the cantrip at an opponent and "hoping to mill good cards". though... maybe they need to learn the hard way by setting up their opponents' deep analyses and roars of wurms and turbo zombie fish. mental note art is definitely sweeter, though.

i mean i like using bad analogies and unnecessary hyperbole, but i didn't know outright lying about easily googleable facts was the Surefire Secret To Success And Four "Like" Clicks

in that case:

ponder kicked my dog and loves all media related to guy fieri

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
i mean i like using bad analogies and unnecessary hyperbole, but i didn't know outright lying about easily googleable facts was the Surefire Secret To Success And Four "Like" Clicks

in that case:

ponder kicked my dog and loves all media related to guy fieri

I felt it was a pretty justified after having to endure that bernie sanders joke and ridiculous wind-scarred crag, battlefield forge analogy.

Plus there is this new matter of a guy fieri reference. Not sure if I can forgive that.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
it's not that hard to look back at a format that allowed 4 ponder, 4 preordain, but has zero fetchlands. it's m12 standard. here's a sample top 8 from a major tournament: http://archive.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/usnat11/welcome#1

by FAR the dominant deck was caw-blade, a blue control deck which played... four preordain, zero ponder. the actual finals were won by a DIFFERENT blue control deck... that also used four preordain zero ponder.

the only deck to use ponder at all (in the top 8) was an all-in, pyromancer ascension combo deck.

4 of the Cawblade decks in that T8 you linked have fetchlands in them

Shrug I assumed from "the dominant deck" that we were talking about CAWBLADE and not UW why are we still playing Squadron Hawk when Deceiver Exarch/Splinter Twin is legal but we have no better ideas 2 weeks after M12 was released, my mistake.

Some of Preordain > Ponder is likely inertia from people a) knowing how good Preordain was and b) remembering how little Ponder did the first time around relative to how much Preordain did the only time around.
But if you look at the deck lists, it's not like any of these decks actively wants That One Card at any given stage of the game. Preordain is a much more consistent effect for generally smoothing out your draws without any help. Also 4 squawks + ~4 fetches is not actually a lot of on-demand shuffling when you consider how many situations arise where you can't just play your squawk to reset a Ponder pile, since a big part of your plan involves 3-4 Mana Leak and 2-3 Spell Pierce.

I want to run it but I seriously doubt it can be used efficiently enough to justify the slot. I'll probably run it eventually because I love complex-looking crap in cube but I really have my doubts.

I've always loved that card. People often seem hesitant to draft it, but I can't tell if it's because they're underestimating it or they're intimidated by it.

Tricking people into giving you one of the cards they shouldn't is highly satisfying. I'm currently running Intuition instead, which has been worth it.