Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
How about in the absence of easy ways to break it? No bitterblossom, gravecrawler etc.

I was thinking of it more as a tanglewire type play, or a way to briefly fix mana for cards that care about that.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

I think it would be fine in that scenario. No blossom, no crawler, no two shields. Anything else in black that can break it?

It would be a cool incentive card for a heavy black strategy. Again, the effect and flavor are both super sweet.

It's powerful, but you don't need ways to break it. If you even have two random dorks, then you triple timewalk them if they have no colourless or black spells.

It's powerful, but you don't need ways to break it. If you even have two random dorks, then you triple timewalk them if they have no colourless or black spells.

Yes, but you are sacrificing permanents to get those time walks. And you are also locked into playing only black spells. So there is a definitely a cost associated.

As long as you don't have easy tools to make a lock, the card should be like a more flavorful Tangle Wire. I see where Grillo is coming from with that and I believe it should play that way while encouraging mono-black strategies.

Guys, how many of you have actually played against this card? Forget theorizing, this card is a piece of shit. You literally can't do anything unless you've got colorless cards to play or rocks that help produce your color. It's the most miserable thing ever. You just can't play anything at all. If they have any way of completing the lock, game over. There's not much play to it; just play it and have a few bodies you can sac to it. There. You're done.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I have a feeling we already discussed this but. . .

This card just feels bad in an environment with lots of blue cantrips, right? Brainstorming it to the top, then getting 3 angels for 5 mana isn't in any way interesting, is it? Nevermind if the game gets long.

Miracles seems like a cool white/blue concept, but the power level here just seems a little high.

I have a feeling we already discussed this but. . .

This card just feels bad in an environment with lots of blue cantrips, right? Brainstorming it to the top, then getting 3 angels for 5 mana isn't in any way interesting, is it? Nevermind if the game gets long.

Miracles seems like a cool white/blue concept, but the power level here just seems a little high.

I think it depends on your format and frankly how whiny your drafters get. Note that "whiny" isn't a bad thing here, I just mean it as a blunt descriptor. Will they let their opponents do some busted bullshit that feels unfair in exchange for the opportunity to do some busted bullshit themselves sometimes as well? If no: whiny.

The way I see it: I allow for Kiki-combo, which is potentially a one turn, game-winning removal check, if you draft for it appropriately. Entreat isn't even a one-turn game-winner necessarily, and it demands you pack in a Brainstorm or two, at the least, to get maximum value (having the max amount of mana to take full advantage of it). To me, someone building a miracles deck and sucking up a few Brainstorms to consistently poop 3-5 angels on the board in the midgame seems pretty tolerable. Not the easiest to deal with potentially, no, but definitely not unstoppable. But your drafters might be hostile to that experience; if they are, then obviously, you shouldn't run it. But I plan to pick up a copy myself real soon, because even a best-case scenario is only "pretty friggin good", which I tolerate in my format (as do my drafters). YMMV.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
when i saw someone else had beat me to this joke i became ecstatically happy

threadjack: can we discuss Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
Regrettably I still have to see that one. When you don't download movies, don't have Netflix, don't have a video library nearby, ánd don't go to the movie theater much, there's a lot of sweet movies you miss. I will say I love Cage (much to the dismay of almost everyone I know). I don't know why, but even in eminently forgettable flicks like Ghost Rider, National Treasure (1 & 2) and Sorcerer's Apprentice, Cage amuses me.

Also, even if you hate Cage, go watch Leaving Las Vegas if you haven't already. That movie is just stellar (if a bit depressing)!

Oh, and Kick-Ass. How could I forget Kick-Ass? Cage just winds up in so many of these riotously entertaining movies!