Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Could this be part of some UG Taking Turns/Lands type deck? Fastbond, Oracle of Mul-Daya, Howling Mine effects, Time Warps? I saw some people talking about Taking Turns in one of the cube threads (Dom's?) and this came to mind.

Also would it be insane to custom it as a proxy with the ability as Landfall? I'm not sure the difference in gameplay would be all that great and it saves having to remember the distinction between playing a land and putting a land into play.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The old Legacy Horn of Greed deck (talking 1999 here) was awesome to play, but I would be surprised if this card turns out to be playable in cube, the main problem being that it's symmetrical and the fact that it doesn't advance your board state at three mana.

I tried to search the forums for this card and didn't find matches for some reason. <- i searched Empyrial Archmage which doesn't really come up on search because such a card doesn't exist! ;)

When i played Oath of Druid in German Highlander i started to like Empyrial Archmage and now that it has slept on my binders for months i included in my cube, but i haven't gotten a chance to test it out yet.

In theory it should be an interesting reanimator target. It offers a decent body that doesn't just die right away without giving value in some way. It doesn't kill on the spot. It generates an interesting puzzle for both sides of the table: "should i attack with Empyrial and hope he doesn't have a way to make 8 damage?" or "Should i just go all in and suicide my best creature and hope he doesn't have a way to stop me from doing 8 damage?".

Should be more interesting than Inkwell Leviathan at least ??

I don't know if "your opponent can't win the game unless they can deal more than 8 damage" on a shrouded 5/8 flyer is really "interesting" so much as it is "ruthlessly unfair"? I mean I fucking LOVE angels but wow is she strong and uninteractive

I don't know if "your opponent can't win the game unless they can deal more than 8 damage" on a shrouded 5/8 flyer is really "interesting" so much as it is "ruthlessly unfair"? I mean I fucking LOVE angels but wow is she strong and uninteractive

Think it as a reanimator target.
Dealing 8 damage is a better deal for the opponent than "destroy 3 lands" or "destroy 3 permanents" or "has protection from everything" etc etc..
Not to mention taking 5 damage a turn gives the opponent enough time to react.

EDIT: as a reanimator target it should win games often, but this one makes a minigame that isn't autowin by any means. My experience with the card comes from constructed so it may vary, but still.

Genericco, You say that because you would have to run a four color deck which would then be too clunky? Just making sure I understand what you're saying.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I'm on an Unhinged kick atm

If your opponent's tapped out, it's Exhaustion on steroids: you get to draw an extra card, untap all your lands, your opponent can't attack or cast a spell on their turn, and then you move into a new cycle. It's a very hard card to understand (and I don't claim to by any means) but it basically it ensures that anything sorcery-speed comes a turn behind schedule while cards with flash get even better (and cards that care about your upkeep - Ancestral Vision/Riftwing Cloudskate, Smokestack, Dark Confidant, Staggershock/Narset Transcendent - accelerate by a turn). You can bounce/destroy it to 'reset' the turn and Time Stop your opponent, and then do it again...

It's also 'hilarious' with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale...

What's that, BR has no answers to enchantments?! It's a fun thought exercise to break the symmetry here: I guess the mid-tier aggro creatures are more likely to be common/uncommon than mid-tier midrange cards, tokens get around it (though there are rare tokens right? see Marit Lage), and you can play a basic-heavy manabase. Most of the time, this card is a Death Cloud that's sometimes In Garruk's Wake + Mind Rot + Rain of Salt. See any Peasant Cube for inspiration.

EDIT: I read the card again, it's a lot worse than I thought! Still interesting though? Need a lot of X-spells

They both can work together to make a sort of mini "hard to use blue tutors" theme. Intuition I find a little harsher of a deal because you get card parity in your hand, not card advantage.

Bonus points to Intuition, though, for having a lot simpler wording.

Boring in function but acceptable power level and fits in many archetypes (stompy/little kid, graveyard-value, RUG/UG spells etc) without having to groan about playing it.

It's not exactly a flashy or impressive card but it does what it does well and for the right cost. It's got that "staple-ish" feeling to it, but I wouldn't cry if it got pushed out.

Here's what I'm running instead of Call to make it feel a little less boring (I used to achieve the same result by running the promo art, which looks amazing in person). Good card is good, role-player, but I wanted it at 2/3 instead of 3/4 because green decks won't always have the t1 dork.

Lulu's design: