Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I run very few planeswalkers and a low-ish amount of artifact mana (only Mox Diamond below 2 mana). I had to cut Balance because nobody played it, and when they did, it sucked.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The only thing I would fear at this point is that it can be a 2-mana wrath.
If it is used in this fashion, chances are the caster will have to discard a few cards as an additional cost :)

I run very few planeswalkers and a low-ish amount of artifact mana (only Mox Diamond below 2 mana). I had to cut Balance because nobody played it, and when they did, it sucked.
Awesome! Looks like I can safely try this out then! :D

Balance is broken. No if's and's or but's about it. It takes very little energy to break symmetry on it even without walkers for an absurdly low cost.

But it goes back to the emotional spike discussion. This card could be just what your group needs so by all means give it a try. My group hates it because of how easily you can reduce a board state to rubble. IMO, it doesn't belong in a balanced cube (pun intended).

Probably not? The cost seems prohibitive. Sure it's a sweet play when you pull it off, but imagine you keep the mana open and they don't activate your trap card - your options are spend 4 mana on a EOT 3/1 or do nothing with it and fall a turn behind.

I guess it's not complete trash if you have a lot of instant speed interaction, but the rate is really bad for a trap that will be infrequently sprung.

Notion Thief is strong in formats where Brainstorm is ubiquitous. I draw three, you put two on top from your hand is a crippling play.

I think that, unless you run multiple Brainstorms, it is not really worth it.

I'm a big fan of Notion thief. Huge. I've run him in both Legacy and Vintage, and he's an all-star in my dimir EDH deck.

That being said, imo he does too little to make the cut as anything but SB tech. Additionally, he's too easily dealt with to be a buildaround card. I prefer my buildarounds to be artifact or enchantments, so my opponents at least have to SB and go down a card to deal with it.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
It dosen't actually do that though in cube because most of the time its just mediocre. In vintage, legacy, or edh though, it can easily do that, which is why people like it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
In a vacuum, what do we think of fear and intimidate as a mechanic in our cubes? In general, I've been pretty down on uninteractive mechanics like hexproof, shroud and protection, unless they grant it temporarily to protect a creature/permanent. Intimidate basically reads "unblockable" except against one or two opponents. It's a very on or off mechanic, and I think Wizards was right to replace it with menace, however, the few cards with fear I run are pretty sweet and nostalgic.

How sweet would Shadowmage Infiltrator be if it had skulk, eh? Anyway, I don't think I can cut Shriekmaw, because that art and evoke are just too damn sweet!

elemental-shriekmaw.jpg

Gorgeous...

Laz

Developer
Someone rang?!

At the time there wasn't really a solid density of Intimidate effects at reasonable mana costs to make it interesting. The most exciting was probably Bellowing Tanglewurm, but past that you were looking at Spectral Rider and Highborn Ghoul. I haven't revisited it, but the takeaway was 'conditional unblockable is pretty sweet when both players have the ability to potentially mess with the conditions'.

Though I suppose that is how one could think of Flying. Colour-changing just had far more broad interactions.

Anyway, I don't think I can cut Shriekmaw, because that art and evoke are just too damn sweet!

elemental-shriekmaw.jpg

Gorgeous...

Did you know this was originally meant to be the art for Aethersnipe?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/lorwyn-elemental-swaps-2007-11-28

Anyway I don't actively avoid Fear/Intimate but I don't run a lot of cards with the ability just because it doesn't appear on very many good cards. I don't mind it as it's not quite as swingy as protection, and I think it tends to be "on" vs more decks than "off" so the cards are balanced as if they're always unblockable.