Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

If been toying around with the idea of a Mirrodon-esque draft environment for a while now, where all of the smoothing comes from cheap artifacts.

There is a huge body of 1-3cc cantriping artifacts, that either fix in some way, or provide interesting incidental utility.

Did a casual gatherer search. These seem interesting. Don't know how to evaluate them.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Wow, I've never seen Conch Horn before. Mini-Brainstorm on an artifact is really cool; the ceiling is lower than Scroll Rack but the floor is higher?

EDIT: folks, Credit Voucher is great with Alhammarret's Archive! #sponsored

So there's a pretty cool deck in Modern that uses these cards along with Faithless Looting and other red discard/draw. Is it possible to get the density of discard outlets in cube to make these viable?

I'm not sure it's the discard outlets that are the problem, it's more the density of the trigger effects. The modern deck is effectively aggro combo (I think). You could put in plenty of discard effects, but I don't think you can get the consistency of triggers.

However there is an aggro discard deck in my cube but works more with madness and graveyard effects

Dom pulled together this sick GY aggro deck a couple days back from my environment that gets relatively close in concept to what the Hollow One deck is doing (including having Hollow One!):

http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/sigh-a-cube.1148/page-5#post-73815

Edit: and I probably should run the Adept too, thinking on it now. The Monastery Swiftspear hasn't really been doing much for a while now. Menace is great, and I think the adept stands well even on that basis alone

Has Faith of the Devoted been good for you? I was looking at bumping back up the discard and madness in my black and red sections and I thought about it, but it was always so bad in retail draft.

Yeah, it's format dependent but is decent in both aggro and controlling builds. It can be a bit of a do nothing but is build around support that requires a decent density of discard. When you're just cycling or tormenting voice-Ing then it's not affecting your board position, but when your discard outlets are attached to creatures or permanents it's more robust.

Is this playable in a world where madness/discard matters themes are more prevalent?

I actually think that could be an interesting option for my Madness Aggro decks. I've been looking for more incentives to draft the archetype in the face of the more seductive combo options in my cube. I've also considered:

in place of Collective Brutality. I like the subgame it provides, and sometimes I feel fatigued with utility cards.

Perhaps. I played with it some in peasant...but I can't for the life of me recall how it panned out.

The subgame probably isn't that interesting. You might occasionally trick someone on turn 3 by targeting yourself first before sending it across the table, baiting them on stripping your hand, and then pitching Anger and dropping a hasty Tasigur, the Golden Fang or something...:mad:

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, maybe I should give adept a try too. Grillo, didn't you try it I seem to remember?
cvan
Lol that sigh and Don just drafted two more decks to test out the approach. Both look quite good.

Yeah, I liked it quite a bit. I think I cut it eventually though because it wasn't quite as consistent a performer as I wanted.

If I were to revise that theme, it would be to run more static sources of discard for 0-1 mana (prob both mongrel and constricter--the format feels like it wants constricter). Both that card and Grizzly Scavanger because very fun when you have repeated sources of discard to power them. I miss scavanger. I had left it in the cube on accident for a long time (it was supposed to be heir of falkenrath) and it always felt explosive, but just in need of a little bit more support. It played a lot like a bad psychatog.

The instant and sorcery speed sifters are nice for providing a sort of utility combat trick in color combinations and power levels that don't normally feature tricks, but the static sources of discard are good to make the cards into consistent sources of pressure, and raise their floor up.

This looks like a nice little gem, that hits a lot of neat points. An enchantment is a great body to put a powerful, but not GRBS, engine piece on, and it can do a lot of good work in more focused syngery decks, while still having a strong enough floor to justify itself as an early pick. Colour me intrigued

I played Flameblade Adept for a while too and liked it, but I've benched it for a bit while I tinker around with other aggressive options. Menace is a marvelous keyword on cheap creatures, though. That said, I really didn't care for Faith of the Devoted; it performed poorly in its limited environment (for me), and it played even worse in my Cube. Drake Haven seems to be the proper power level for that effect I think, as even that is often inconsistent, but it's more exciting and more impactful when it works, two things that can't be said for its cousin in {B}. Frankly, I think it's a temptation for cementing a {R}{B} "theme" that is ultimately a distraction from the pair's true potential depth as a discard-for-value pair.

The discard themes appeal to me personally a lot more as durdle engines than aggro with the flameblade adept or trying to power out an early hollow one.

Unfulfilled desires is a very attractive alternative to compulsion.

Yeah, I liked it quite a bit. I think I cut it eventually though because it wasn't quite as consistent a performer as I wanted.

If I were to revise that theme, it would be to run more static sources of discard for 0-1 mana (prob both mongrel and constricter--the format feels like it wants constricter). Both that card and Grizzly Scavanger because very fun when you have repeated sources of discard to power them. I miss scavanger. I had left it in the cube on accident for a long time (it was supposed to be heir of falkenrath) and it always felt explosive, but just in need of a little bit more support. It played a lot like a bad psychatog.

The instant and sorcery speed sifters are nice for providing a sort of utility combat trick in color combinations and power levels that don't normally feature tricks, but the static sources of discard are good to make the cards into consistent sources of pressure, and raise their floor up.

This looks like a nice little gem, that hits a lot of neat points. An enchantment is a great body to put a powerful, but not GRBS, engine piece on, and it can do a lot of good work in more focused syngery decks, while still having a strong enough floor to justify itself as an early pick. Colour me intrigued
Unfulfilled Desires is a card I've looked at several times before. I think if I didn't have Ancient Excavation, I might be on board with trying it.

It's pretty good in formats with that 3 mana Transmute Wall to help find it more consistently.

Let's ignore the fact that this card is way more expensive than I'd ever be willing to drop for:

Yeah yeah it's "Power", but like... it's not really actually going to break much right? There already is Memory, but this seems like a very evocative and historic blue effect. I feel like Wheel of fortune would be much more breakable, and there's no like Lion's Eye Diamond to do funny stuff with.

Seems like a great anchor/building-block of some sort of delve/Sultai Baron deck. Dunno.