Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

This card is very cool. Very, very cool. But how good is it? On one hand, it's very expensive. On the other, it's a counterspell plus finisher in one card and you can blink it for more. I'm sure it's better than I think but not great and I'm not sure how it would work in cube.

What do you think?

This card is very cool. Very, very cool. But how good is it? On one hand, it's very expensive. On the other, it's a counterspell plus finisher in one card and you can blink it for more. I'm sure it's better than I think but not great and I'm not sure how it would work in cube.

What do you think?

This card used to be played in Vintage and Legacy cubes. I think it was a staple about a decade ago, and I seem to remember it in the MTGO cubes as recently as 2015. If your list isn't super high-power, I think it's worth a shot.

25f98f02-9ada-4561-93fd-9cfcb0f48b5d.jpg

How do you feel about this pitch removal spell in a low power environment? (is 'low power the correct term? I'm saying that there aren't many strong cards, faaar away from a powered cube')
Edit: it turns out the image is huge. How do I crop it?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
How do you feel about this pitch removal spell in a low power environment? (is 'low power the correct term? I'm saying that there aren't many strong cards, faaar away from a powered cube')
Edit: it turns out the image is huge. How do I crop it?
Just type [ ci ]Pyrokinesis[ /ci ] (without the spaces. We've got a nice autocard system on this forum :)

I'm planning to try it out in my new cube because it's a nice combo with Feather, the Redeemed!

I've cast a lot of Pyrokinesis, in Cube and not, and it's quite a strong card at a real cost. Combined with combat it's a real killing machine, and it even feels good to hit 6 mana and hardcast it. But it can't go face and it feels really cool to play, so if your players are accustomed to Force of Will/Daze style free spells it'll feel fair. I would say my cube isn't a power cube but it is strong, and PK Fire fits right in.

Whelk seems really swingy. It will often rot in someone's hand or it will counter a massive threat and totally swing the game, like a reactive Control Magic. Depends how you feel about that. It is cool. Combo with Mystic Snake, Frilled Mystic, and Mystic Genesis to really get stupid far ahead.

I really like Pyro, but my players weren't open to 0 cmc interaction. We like to know the coast is clear if someone has tapped out. If your playgroup doesn't mind losing that expectation, it's a sweet card.

That Feather interaction is pretty gross lol.

I've decided to put Mystic Snake back in UG instead. Similar card but in a slot I'm happier to spend and which supports an archetype I want to make a bit more playable. Talking about forcing archetypes to be more playable. How bullshit is this card?

On one hand, the "let it connect!" game seems fun. On the other, it's pushed as hell. Thoughts? :)

I hate the combination of low stats + hexproof :p It is a personal taste.

Anything combat-related can kill it but nothing spell-related can.

Not my cup of tea but I see no reason to not run pushed archetype flagships.

I've decided to put Mystic Snake back in UG instead. Similar card but in a slot I'm happier to spend and which supports an archetype I want to make a bit more playable. Talking about forcing archetypes to be more playable. How bullshit is this card?

On one hand, the "let it connect!" game seems fun. On the other, it's pushed as hell. Thoughts? :)

If it didn't have hexproof, I'd be all for it. Since it does, I don't like it all that much. You'd need like 7-12 Pyroclasm/Infest effects before I'd say go ahead.

I don't mind Geist so much because a 2/2 is so fragile in combat. If you have easy ways to make it unblockable, it's a lot more obnoxious, but as is I think it's fine.

This card seems kind of cool, but it makes me wonder how many flashback/aftermath/retrace/Gravecrawler cards a cube would need before it would become something other than just a 3/1 lifelink. Is that even a bad floor though? This definitely feels like something that could be a cube card in the right environment.

It seems very good with Lingering Souls.

I really fucking hate Geist. Consider if either of these scenarios are miserable: 1. Geist gets blocked like a little 2/2 bitch. 2. Geist bashes for 6 repeatedly.

Geistcaller seems pretty cool in the right environment. The payoff is a little low for how often I'd expect it to trigger. If the initial body is just a bit below curve for the cube, then it's probably worth a look.

Geist is broken as fuck. Bad card.

Draining Whelk is VERY cool and I like it a lot, but I switched back to Mystic Snake because it helps UG(W) Flash/Blink a lot and generally is a cool card (Invasion block <3). The snake is more interesting overall.

Geistcaller is pretty cool. Compare it to Burning Vengeance and Secrets of the Dead, it's a more board-centric payoff for gy casts, and all three of them are in the right colours to cross over with Jeskai Prowess/Spells Matter which already want flashback cards. I'll definitely try it. :)

After some games with my group of 4, I realized that we all like black way too much.
I've been thinking about a low powered mono black cube (something like Strix 4.5).
Since my group is relatively new to magic, I'm thinking about putting some archetype that is focused on cards that are really famous.
Hence, I ask:
1. Your opinion on the following cards
2. Which environment they shine in
3. Suggestions about other black cards that scream Power and Amorality

vs/with
vs/with
vs/with
vs/with
vs/with
vs/with vs/with Witch's Cottage