Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

It's a decent card, giving an aggressive creature +3/+1 to punch through bigger blockers is big game, being able to gain some card advantage when your creature dies is also nice. The biggest thing it has going for it is the 1 equip cost, that's very low for something that gives you that much value throughout the game. The initial cost of 3 to play it is a little steep when you're trying to deploy things on curve, but this is fine as a T4 play with a play + equip as well. I've liked it so far, no real complaints on my end. It's hard to find solid equipment for a higher power level and it fits the bill.

I think a lot of people just don't understand how powerful the effect is until they see it in action, it reads more durdly than it actually plays.

What is the consensus on ?
I never played with it and I don't know how powerful it is.
it's good, it's an equipment that draws like 3 cards a game and has relevant stats and a cheap equip cost. love that thing, love how it quietly supports tribal shit anyone wants to do (someone onced used it in an Eldrazi deck which was a real delight)

Which creature types are people using it for besides Eldrazi as mentioned above and possible Humans?

Elementals, Knights, Zombie?

Which creature types are people using it for besides Eldrazi as mentioned above and possible Humans?

it's just an incidental reward where you don't really have to build around it but it keeps you constantly developing threats. Wizard, Warlock, Elf, doesn't matter, they kill a guy you develop a new guy and equip it same turn

Most creatures will share at least one of their types with at least one other creature in the deck, so usually this will have a hit. Even if it doesn't, it's still basically just a Grafted Wargear that trades the Drawback for -1 toughness and an equip cost of 1.

it's just an incidental reward where you don't really have to build around it but it keeps you constantly developing threats. Wizard, Warlock, Elf, doesn't matter, they kill a guy you develop a new guy and equip it same turn
This.

Are any of these traps?

I don't think so, but you need enough incidental support for them to be worth it. If I were to see either of this when opening my first pack of the draft, I'm assuming that there's some dedicated U/x Artifacts archetype present. Not exactly sure which is harder to get the most value out of, Sai is something you need to set up before deploying threats while Emry wants ways for you to stick artifacts in the grave to generate value. I'm leaning towards Emry being better.

Have you guys tried this card? It seems a great fit for RG

You know, I have not had a chance to play with this guy yet, but I am testing him in my next update. I played against him in ELD limited and he was pretty nuts.

I don't love how he doesn't affect humans though- it means that he doesn't hit some of the important red aggro dorks Rhythm of the Wild hits. That said, he is able to buff Pia and Kiran Nalaar tokens, which is probably more impactful in the long run.

Okay. I originally wrote this guy off because I assumed you would need food synergies for him to be playable. Clearly, I was wrong as stupid sexy Oko is showing up in Modern and Legacy now. He provides removal that green/blue has been traditionally lacking, but every number on his card is fucking obnoxious. Where is everyone else with this guy in cube?

I won't ever touch it. I think it is poorly designed.

Also it is clumsy for paper Magic because of all the power/toughness altering doesn't show automatically like on Arena.

Oko, the Fixed 1UG
+1: Create a Food token.
-1: Target artifact or creature loses all abilities and becomes a green Elk creature with base power and toughness 3/3.
-4: Exchange control of target artifact or creature you control and target creature an opponent controls with power 3 or less.
Starting loyalty: 3

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Have you guys tried this card? It seems a great fit for RG

So I hard leaned into Grumgully last draft and I've got some data
Finding nonhumans isn't hard. I do like that it works with token spells (I had a custom Saproling Migration), and it's also another thing that goes infinite with Kitchen Finks (which can be a plus or a minus)
However, a 3/3 for 3 that gives the rest of your creatures a counter if it lives just isn't that great. Cool idea, but the agressive lean it has is in conflict with the midrange curve it gives you, where your deck wants to be jammed with 4s

I won't ever touch it. I think it is poorly designed.

Also it is clumsy for paper Magic because of all the power/toughness altering doesn't show automatically like on Arena.

Oko, the Fixed 1UG
+1: Create a Food token.
-1: Target artifact or creature loses all abilities and becomes a green Elk creature with base power and toughness 3/3.
-4: Exchange control of target artifact or creature you control and target creature an opponent controls with power 3 or less.
Starting loyalty: 3

I mean I had to make a custom Urza for my cube:
Oko the Fixed.pngOko the Fixed 2.png

Grumgully looks wonderful and not as busted as the Modern Horizons Unicorn. I love to have some anti-synergy with humans in my cube.

What do you think about this card? Staxx is usually located in WB, but it also usually benefits from having tokens to minimize the effect this kind of effect has on your own board - and Doom Foretold doesn't care about tokens, sadly.

Grumgully looks wonderful and not as busted as the Modern Horizons Unicorn. I love to have some anti-synergy with humans in my cube.

What do you think about this card? Staxx is usually located in WB, but it also usually benefits from having tokens to minimize the effect this kind of effect has on your own board - and Doom Foretold doesn't care about tokens, sadly.

I feel like this card is straight up bad. I played against it at Prerelease and after re-reading it a few times in a close match, I realized that if this becomes the last sacrifice-able permanent on the board when it flips back to your opponent, they just lose it and get nothing. That's not too difficult to pull off with trades and timely spot removal. It's a fine card if you're ahead, but for Stax pieces I think Braids, Smokestack and the new Rankle are waaaaaay superior.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's a red-white enchantment with an activated ability that allows you to trade two generic mana and a land for two 1/1 red and white Goblin Soldier tokens. It was first printed in Apocalypse, and was a one off in the Star-Spangled Slaughter deck that Peter Jesuale used in the 2002 U.S. Nationals. Goblin Trenches holds the honor of being the first card to create tokens with two honest-to-God creature types. Looking at you, Hazezon Tamar, with your Sand space Warriors!

Anyone tried this? I have a high power level so I'm not sure spending 3 mana for a card and 2 life is worth it, even if you can rebuy it, but maybe if you built around it specifically.....?

Anyone tried this? I have a high power level so I'm not sure spending 3 mana for a card and 2 life is worth it, even if you can rebuy it, but maybe if you built around it specifically.....?

After having some fun with it in a WAR draft, I wanted to give it a go in cube too. I was (am still am) running a low power cube, and it was just too slow to get to work as a build around come game time. I thought it actually fit best into builds that were playing more Kor Skyfishers and Emancipation Angels along side a Cartouche and Trial package, maybe with some enchantress effects. WAR seemed to have the instants that supported main phase play (cus Addendum), and made that type of control deck work in that format.

I DO want to see more enchantments that play like this, and one day perhaps a beefed up Azorius Aethermage effect to ride alongside that.