Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

If it fits, it's such an easy line to add, and if it even theoretically prevents one embarrassing situation like this it's worth it imho.
The kind of person who would insist on making invasive questions regarding someone sexuality is not going to be deterred by a technical change of the rules of a card.

I think attempts to address bad player behaviour through game design are misguided. You cannot use a game to prevent people from being nasty beyond its scope. If they really want to, they will, because there are infinite ways of being a dick. The guy making homophobic jokes is as likely to do so over Llanowar Elves or Alesha, who smiles at death.

The only thing that works is going out of the game and having a talk with that person. Be open about behaviour standards. Do not welcome them in your games. Yeah, that's harder that tweaking the card text a bit, but it's what really matters.

Of course, I'm not playing at a game shop with Magic players so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's not the asshole you're trying to deter from asking asshole questions, it's the regular guy or girl you're trying to deter from asking misguided silly questions. There's no ill intent involved here, it's just the "this cards wants you to anwer one question truthfully, but it says nothing about it needing to be game-related - teehee - so here's my silly question".

But if they are a regular guy or girl asking silly questions, why not just talk to them? I think it's better to just talk to people if something's wrong.

For the record, I've never seen someone use Truthtrance in Dune or Seeker in Cosmic to ask out of the game questions, much less inappropiate ones.

For the record, I've never seen someone use Truthtrance in Dune or Seeker in Cosmic to ask out of the game questions, much less inappropiate ones.

Maybe, but apparently other people have had different experiences, because they updated the wording in the new version:

0563f28a7898a2ac3934a25240eb3553f4b33458.jpeg

That's from the fan-made Print and Play version, not the new edition. Either way, the mention is not because people make inappropiate questions but because the game is unnecessarily wordy. For example, there are no "instants" in the game so all the talk about "pausing the game" is pointless.

It's not a game's responsability to prevent players from being dicks to each other. Adding pointless rules text to a card does nothing. It's a player problem, not a design problem and it should be treated as such. I am just very, very oppposed to the idea that sportsmanship is a designer's responsability, and not each somkething each player should hold himself accountable for.

If you can't play without making inaproppiate questions, then you shouldn't play at all. The game doesn't even matter. If you made "gay jokes" at my table, regardless of what the game looked like, you would not be welcome anymore.

To change topics a bit. I've been struggling with this card:

I'm not sure I'm building around it correctly. Most of the time it seems a luxury compared to just running Serendib Efreet. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to get the best out of it?

To change topics a bit. I've been struggling with this card:

I'm not sure I'm building around it correctly. Most of the time it seems a luxury compared to just running Serendib Efreet. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to get the best out of it?

The idea of Skaab Ruinator is usually better than the average case scenario. The idea is an undercosted beater who will get there by applying evasive pressure, but the reality is usually that it gets removed early or it gets chumped by 1/1 forever. The cost of exiling 3 creature cards is pretty steep in most U/x decks so it crops up very rarely. You need it in something like a U/G deck where you can deploy it early or U/B where you can fill up your graveyard through looting effects. I've found it to be more cute than good the handful of times that I've tried it out over the years. It's is pretty sweet flashing it in off Collected Company though.

I have high hopes for Skaab Ruinator to be a thing in my cube. As I cut a lot on enchantments and instead play creatures with the same/similar effects while being easier to interact with, while also having a lot of incidental selfmill, I really hope this will be the right environment for the Ruinator to shine. It's quite restrictive, so it won't be too strong.

I find that the decks that self-mill don't want to lose three creatures in the yard and shrink their Bonehoard or Twilight's Call, or exile their Squee, Goblin Nabob / Honored Hydra, so Skaab Ruinator is basically unplayable because it's so risky and isn't that good a payoff.
This has been the problem for me as well. If I'm running graveyard synergies, I don't want to exile cards from there!

Still, Inscho, how good is Mesmeric Orb? Because it seems good to enable self-mill outside of its colours but it seems busted strong in black!

Mesmeric Orb is excellent. It creates a weird milling subgame, fuels entire archetypes, and it allows you to apply pressure on an axis that is not usually available. I don't remember who it was that first ran it here, but after they gave a glowing review I decided to try it out in my cube around two years ago. It's been a staple since then. There are many ways to get creative with it from enabling reanimator shenanigans to fueling an earlier Emrakul, the Promised End or even outright winning with Laboratory Maniac. You can even play it as an alternate win-con out of the SB in certain matchups in control decks which is super sweet.

Shamizy (Awesome name, by the way)

That is exactly my experience and memory as well. About two years ago I tried it out because someone wrote a praise to Mesmeric Orb and I have had it in my cube ever since. Maybe three years ago. Don’t remember the name of the user.

I have one fear: I often play matches in which players are down to 7-12 cards in their deck. I like grindy matches. Wouldn't Mesmeric Orb be extremely strong in those situations?

I have one fear: I often play matches in which players are down to 7-12 cards in their deck. I like grindy matches. Wouldn't Mesmeric Orb be extremely strong in those situations?

Yes. The game would be over 10 turns earlier if someone cast it on turn 2.

But is your cube 360 where all cards are guarenteed to be drafted?

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Mesmeric Orb is excellent. It creates a weird milling subgame, fuels entire archetypes, and it allows you to apply pressure on an axis that is not usually available. I don't remember who it was that first ran it here, but after they gave a glowing review I decided to try it out in my cube around two years ago. It's been a staple since then. There are many ways to get creative with it from enabling reanimator shenanigans to fueling an earlier Emrakul, the Promised End or even outright winning with Laboratory Maniac. You can even play it as an alternate win-con out of the SB in certain matchups in control decks which is super sweet.

I believe (and hope) it was me. I still really love the card and touted its praises wherever I could. I even made a video about it 3 years ago when it was in the Twisted Colour Pie cube:
When I decide to rebuild the wobbly cube, the orb will still be in it, too much of a pet card to not run.

EDIT: Actually, it was probably RavebornMuse that gave the response as to why the card is great:
Mesmeric Orb is pretty much the quirkiest, easily-playable buildaround in my list, and it's loads of fun. It's colourless, so that's obviously a huge boon, and being {2} means you can run it out fairly easily at any time. There are a few scenarios to consider it for, though there's a lot of overlap among them and the list is by no means exhaustive.
  • Control-Mill: This is the purest and most wild version of the deck. Here, you're looking for additional effects to force draws, mill extra, and tap-down, as well as board clog effects like Whirler Rogue and Meloku the Clouded Mirror. There's a lot of tools I've tried on and off over the ages, dialing back down and back up as the strategy intrigues me. Good enablers for mill include Dakra Mystic, Mindshrieker, Altar of Dementia, Reforge the Soul, Magus of the Wheel, and, typically, running a few extra cards in your deck as some extra-super-sneaky tech; even like 3 more cards can help a lot imho (but no more than 5 extra, you still need to draw into your mill!)
  • Living Death/reanimator: less combo win, more value win. This one can get much more complex and would really like for tools to make sure that your reanimated board is best if you're using Living Death, and can sometimes wind up being more of a straightforward reanimator package, though things like Deathrite Shaman, Scavenging Ooze, and Mardu Woe-Reaper can help keep opposing 'yards in check while still being very cube-worthy includes
  • Aggro-Mill: This is a deck I'd like to feature here in my discussion, because it's kind of a quirky brew and I'm not sure if it's a very obvious possibility. The angle of this deck is to drop the Orb as part of a low-curve deck, and if your opponent is midrange/control, they're gonna get wrecked just by trying to commit to the board or remove your paltry threats. Versus control, their usual cadre of draw spells works against them quite wickedly, which makes the Orb worth saving and dropping a bit late sometimes. A nice tutor effect helps the aggro version of this deck a lot; the point here though is that the mill win is primarily an alternative, rather than necessarily the top plan. Think of it like a cool, anxiety-inducing Devil's Play for guaranteeing you can go the distance if you get stumbled, except your opponent will likely misplay themselves into the loss rather than eating it out of nowhere.
These are just a few highlights; the card can do a lot, and needs exploring in your own format to work out. Often, the correct answer can be to just ignore it or race it if the deck isn't built to maximize on it, but most players don't realize that and start FREAKING OUT and playing terribly, which is hilarious and really fun. Usual mill caveat to consider as part of this whole discussion is some people get really whiny facing against mill and you may need to get less boring friends consider how this will translate to mill being present in your format.

Re: Sphinx's Tutelage, if you want a 1-card quirk-piece for blue control/durdle wins, I prefer Increasing Confusion, which takes longer to start happening but cleans up the match quick. Also works just fine with draw-more effects like Magus of the Wheel for accelerating the win/digging for the card itself, and ties into graveyard strategies, if you're dead-serious about them.

Aside from that, if you're looking for a U/R identity, I'll echo other comments that suggest a Spells-Matter theme. I've tried a very gentle form of storm before in my cube that was mostly URg, and I wasn't super impressed, though it was "neat" for a few drafts. UR artifacts is also a popular idea, although imho it lacks enough incentives in most cubes, as Goblin Welder does not a 2-colour theme make (though it does provide a cool, fun deck). U-centered artifact interactions has been fun (note that I've only got like 3 blue cards in my list which feed into this, noting, again, it's sort of thin unless you want to get really poisonous...), but that's another tale for another time. For UR, I'd look at things like...

Flashback spells help push it and are also quite playable. The theme overlaps into white very well, but that actually just makes it a better theme for being flexible.