Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

It combos with Dualcaster Mage (with a creature out) and I really want more combos that I can actually run. I had to cut Twin/Kiki awhile back because the cards involved are too low power. Blink is a thing right? Can this be a thing maybe please? :p I really wish it were an instant or targeted any creature though.

If infinite combos are what you're looking for, Kiki-Jiki is exactly what you want:

And if not for his insta-win combos, he's amazing value in any sort of deck that has ETBs to abuse:

Not to mention stuff in other colors. Kiki-Jiki is the quintessential Cube card in my opinion and gets very close to "staple" status, especially since he scales fairly well with the power level of his environment.

What would it take to make this playable in cube?

What would this need to be good? Quite a lot, I think, probably at least a Sharpie.
You're already sinking 3 mana to cast a 1CMC spell for free and I think decks that are instant/sorcery-dense also tend to be low-curve cheap-interaction style decks without large instant/sorceries as a payoff.

This card is essentially Aether Vial, only Aether Vial is able to (with proper deck construction) generate a large mana advantage fairly quickly, where this card is much harder to make a mana advantage with. With that said, Vial is miserable in limited so I'd imagine a worse-mana-advantage version of Vial would be even worse, for a card type that is less readily available/build around-able.

That being said, I think if you want this style of effect, Isochron Scepter might be that card.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
What would it take to make this playable in cube?
For instants and sorceries, the requirement that the cmc has to be exactly equal is killing, because you run so few targets, and it's really hard to draw them exactly in ascending order of converted mana cost. Removing the charge counters to scry is cute, but the ability is extremely overcosted, see Crystal Ball. I dunno, this is pretty hard to save without making some serious readjustments I think.

If you guys are not running this card, I recommend you at least check it out. It has proved it's worth so many times.

I got the scoop from my friend who drafted Asylum Visitor yesterday. He played against a Naya deck with DeftBlade Elite and he misplayed against it by dropping Asylum Visitor. Deftblade forced the block with provoke and killed it and as silly as it sounds, that is ultimately what decided the outcome of the game. Sometimes it's the smallest of things.

Anyway, this isn't an isolated incident. Deftblade is this strange little card that just wrecks a lot of decks if not removed and it's so easy to forget what the ability does or see a 1/1 and ignore it as harmless. It's a completely playable lure effect primarily because of that untap. Nothing is truly safe and you simply forget until you've already misplayed against it.

This deck my friend played also had Retreat to Valakut, another surprisingly playable card (one I've said good things about before). He kept pumping his deftblade and lured everything he wanted dead into it. The pump allowed deftblade to survive combat in at least one scenario. Really sweet play the way he described it to me. He was swinging away, spending no mana and losing little tempo, killing what he wanted and getting his other guys through. Just by playing lands.

I love it when things like this just come together in cube. These aren't mainstream cards, so it feels that much better.

Been tinkering around in my mind with Gifts Ungiven, and figuring out cards that naturally:
a) support it
b) are good on their own
c) potentially are really cool

I think that Dreams fits this bill very well. It has a lot of potential uses, and cool interactions, and on the very base level, it's not a terrible deal to pitch less useful things for more useful things. But I do want to highlight some of the interactions that have been brought up/I'm thinking of...

This is a pretty crazy interaction in RUG. Basically says {2}{U}{G}{G}: double to triple your remaining hand size, cherry picked from your GY. So if you have two cards beyond blast and dreams, you get six cards (discard the two + blast). Also the copy can target the original cards you pitch, so you don't even lose cards you actually want to keep. Also if things go slightly south you can at the very least use geistblast to get one copy of Dreams thru a counterspell. Sweetness.

+ / + creatures
switch out these for any reanimate + fattie combo, and you get the same sweet deal: switching the beater(s) with the reanimate. If you accidentally mill your reanimate, it's gets countered earlier, discarded, whatever, you can swap it around with the finisher(s) you want to have in the yard anyway. Self-contained discard outlet, recursion for the reanimate, and if you have the reanimate in hand it can still recur whatever else you might want/need.

any dredge is going to be synergistic, but this is like... scroll rack + land tax synergistic. Use the loam engine, recur some lands, dump them all + loam for a hand of useful stuff that was dredged with the Loam. Neato.

This is the card that started it all, but it effectively allows you to swap two of the other cards that might have been given/denied to you, adding levels to the choice complexity. This works well with the reanimate/creature combo (non rites).

I could go on and on, with stuff like delve, snapcaster, etc. but I think I'm rambling about enough for one post. I'll probably be trying it out at least for a while. Swapping it in alongside the geistblast, because that interaction is just so cool.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Thats actually probably how you want to use gifts as a tutor; where its like a super buried alive, grabbing these graveyard pieces, and making those decks more consistent as a result.

Flashback cards in general seem like a very easy way to build a control deck around that principle, with gifts functioning like mystical teachings. Its also less narrow than buried alive as you can just use it for value.

Dictate of Heliod is in no way comparable to Citadel Siege. Siege can build up a dominating board state across two axes; vertical growth on your board, or permission for Villain. The flexibility of the card and the hard-to-remove nature of enchantments leads to a lot of miserable board states where you're really screwed no matter what when you're facing Citadel Siege down; either your best biscuit is kept tapped, or their best biscuit reaches insurmountable heights.

Dictate is a mana more expensive, which is something to be considered. That it has flash actually works to its advantage, I think, because if it wins the game for you, it's generally from out of nowhere the first time, and then played around with some consideration for it later. It also is a board-wide +2/+2, which is powerful, but not unbeatable. That it requires bodies to be effective, is a mana more, and has a limit (+2/+2) as well as the potential to immediately close out a game makes it infinitely more fair; you'll get the same crying over a Dictate blowout as you would a critical game-winning Counterspell or Burn=X victory. I can see not maindecking Dictate; Citadel works in every deck and is unpassable.

In my experience, both those cards are powerful and win games. I got rid of both for slightly different reasons though. Citadel because of reasons RavebornMuse mentioned. Dictate because I've intentionally culled most of the anthem support to neuter token decks.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member

So I'm adding this card, but what do you guys think?
Recent sets have provided a lot of synergy with counters, and now we got the options with cards like bygone bishop, tireless tracker and thopter spy network to add a lot of incidental artifacts that can be sacrificed. While the archetype seems strongest in Bant colours, I'm certain you could cook together some freakshow with welder/daretti, vampires or shaman of the great hunt as well.

I think it's really marginal, and probably not good enough for your environment. I tried to force it a lot in SOM draft, and even there it often underperformed. I think Volt Charge and Tezzeret's Gambit are where you want to be with proliferate.

How many Legends do you need to make this worthwhile? I'm kinda piling up on them lately, but I think it's probably still a smidge too narrow for inclusion. A 3-mana, body-based reanimator tool in white with relevant typings (Advisor tribal becoming a thing!!!) seems pretty cool, though, and I really love the idea of some Reveillark shenanigans (the lack of Alesha, Who Smiles at Death synergy obviously pains me).

This deck my friend played also had Retreat to Valakut, another surprisingly playable card (one I've said good things about before). He kept pumping his deftblade and lured everything he wanted dead into it. The pump allowed deftblade to survive combat in at least one scenario. Really sweet play the way he described it to me. He was swinging away, spending no mana and losing little tempo, killing what he wanted and getting his other guys through. Just by playing lands.
How does the deftblade being pumped to a 3/1 survive survive any better? I can see it holding up a blocker each combat, but how did your friend keep it alive for several combat steps while also killing things in combat with it? If you use the damage prevention ability neither deftblade nor the blockers deal damage.

How does the deftblade being pumped to a 3/1 survive survive any better? I can see it holding up a blocker each combat, but how did your friend keep it alive for several combat steps while also killing things in combat with it? If you use the damage prevention ability neither deftblade nor the blockers deal damage.

I didn't see the games, got the story second hand. Guessing fetchland, so double trigger? I guess that still doesn't keep it alive. I have no idea, maybe it had been given first strike or something?

I don't think they misread the card. No one pays the ability on Deftblade. He costs W. I mean, if he dies and kills something that costs more he's already doing as much as you can expect from a 1 drop.

I didn't see the games, got the story second hand. Guessing fetchland, so double trigger? I guess that still doesn't keep it alive. I have no idea, maybe it had been given first strike or something?

I don't think they misread the card. No one pays the ability on Deftblade. He costs W. I mean, if he dies and kills something that costs more he's already doing as much as you can expect from a 1 drop.

I like the card a lot for its versatility and play it in my peasant cube. The card is a mechanics and flavor win. [On attacks the Deftblade Elite engages an enemy, letting your other attackers through. On blocks or attacks, he either goes for the kill, or takes a defensive stance.] The story just seemed fishy or missing information.

I like the card a lot for its versatility and play it in my peasant cube. The card is a mechanics and flavor win. [On attacks the Deftblade Elite engages an enemy, letting your other attackers through. On blocks or attacks, he either goes for the kill, or takes a defensive stance.] The story just seemed fishy or missing information.

Fair enough. It was likely exaggerated a bit and I did not fully vet it obviously.

Dom Harvey

Contributor

I want artifacts that go well with red and cards that support a big red deck, and this does both nicely. 4 is so much less than 5 for an effect like this. The symmetry is awkward but against most of your opponents it won't matter and, in the worst case, you can board it out or wait for a good moment to use it; the deck I'm imagining it in would probably have a lot of Faithless Looting effects, so the downside is minimized.

I want artifacts that go well with red and cards that support a big red deck, and this does both nicely. 4 is so much less than 5 for an effect like this. The symmetry is awkward but against most of your opponents it won't matter and, in the worst case, you can board it out or wait for a good moment to use it; the deck I'm imagining it in would probably have a lot of Faithless Looting effects, so the downside is minimized.

Not to mention everyone's favorite Mountains:

But real talk: this card looks like it could fit in with Wildfire quite nicely, as well as to break other red land destruction symmetries (Boom//Bust comes to mind) as well.

Geistblast: This just showed up in a heads up draft with my roommate. He had a UR Control Deck vs my GR Big Stompy Deck (a bunch of ramp at the small end, leading into Hammer of Purphoros / Surrak, the Hunt Caller and then other fattys). It was useful for killing my small utility guys (Birds of Paradise , Lotus Cobra, Oracle of Mul Daya), but I didn't have enough of them where Staggershock would have been better. And he got to do some sweet stuff like copy 1) Dig Through Time to close out a game and 2) NOT copy Dig Through Time because the board demanded that he copy Pyrokinesis instead. 3 mana to split 8 damage was really sweet for a red deck to deal with a board of bigger green creatures.

Build-around enchantments:
Eyes of the Watcher seems really low power and clunky. While Jace's Sanctum costs more, reducing costs of other spells and NOT COSTING MANA to trigger the scry does wonders for being an engine. Costing less over time is generally better than costing less upfront (think about the equipment phenomena), and Jace's Sanctum does the former in multiple ways. Either way, you would need a really specific environment to make it good.
• I'm not a fan of payoff cards that don't do anything on their own. The play patterns are generally disappointing. You have to take a turn off and spend a card to do nothing. And then next turn you still have to do the specific thing that the card says, at which point you're probably only even on cards and still down on tempo. And then if you can do it again you probably about even with someone spending 3 turns doing normal things. Depending on the environment, this can be good worth it. But if your cube's power level includes Man-o'-Wars and Flametongue Kavus, those angels are really just not up to snuff. And you had to go through all the trouble to draft a deck with a high enough synergy density! Unless your whole cube is built around that theme, critical mass decks won't work very well. It's the same principle of having more 1 and 2 cmc cards than you think you need so that aggro decks can function. It's the same reason draw go control and mono red burn shouldn't be coming together every draft if your cube is well rounded.
Sigil of the Empty Throne is especially egregious because the critical mass of stuff doesn't necessarily all work together well. The best solution I've seen is to errata it to a constellation trigger so that it's not insanely parasitic and at least baseline playable. Of course this does depend on if the environment can handle it, but on average this would make the card see play in more white decks across the board while situationally being SUPER awesome, which is where I think you want to be with build-arounds. I think Doomwake Giant, Eidolon of Blossoms, and Academy Rector are the only good build-arounds for the average cube, and I do think they're very sweet. They're baseline playable, with very fun upsides.
Hardened Scales at least avoids the spend-your-whole-turn-to-do-nothing problem. I still don't like the sets-you-back-a-card thing though. I think Abzan Falconer is exactly the pay off that the average (not extremely pushed for +1/+1 counter) cube wants for this theme. Proliferate cards are also great. If your cube is extremely pushed for it, then go deeper on payoffs.

Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker combo
• Re vennythekid: he's saying Pestermite is too lower power, not Kiki-Jiki
• I disagree. I think Pestermite is reasonably strong in a blue flash/tempo/aggro deck. But it does require your play group to have that opinion and know how to draft that kind of a deck.
• Other more powerful options: Bounding Krasis (standard power house ;)); Great Oak Guardian (not narrow Overrun! probably the green 6 drop with the most interesting play to it)

White pump enchantments: Same caveat about power level of your cube applies here, but in general I think these are both awesome and great incentives to push people towards white/x aggro decks (which are otherwise not often sought out) without feeding as hard into other strategies. Yes, they're good in almost every white deck...but they're really maximized when people max out on creatures and can curve 1-2-3-(4) into them. And it's pretty sweet that Citadel Siege can operate as a removal spell in a control deck. Cards that fit into multiple decks make the drafting experience richer.

Nostalgic Dreams: I really wanted this to work, but found it to be under-desired; often a 14th-15th pick type of card. The problem is that the average case scenario is not up to snuff. Yes, the sweet interactions exist but there are not many of them ...and when you don't get the sweet interactions, it is worse than Regrowth 90%+ of the time. You have to put in work to make it an above average card.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Sigil of the Empty Throne is especially egregious because the critical mass of stuff doesn't necessarily all work together well. The best solution I've seen is to errata it to a constellation trigger so that it's not insanely parasitic and at least baseline playable. Of course this does depend on if the environment can handle it, but on average this would make the card see play in more white decks across the board while situationally being SUPER awesome, which is where I think you want to be with build-arounds. I think Doomwake Giant, Eidolon of Blossoms, and Academy Rector are the only good build-arounds for the average cube, and I do think they're very sweet. They're baseline playable, with very fun upsides.

I actually cubed with a Sigil of the Empty Throne variant with constellation, and it was filthy. Even when I pushed it to 6 mana, it was totally running away with games. There's totally enough enchantments that you'ld want to run in the SotET deck in my cube that I feel the baseline effect is fine without constellation. If you must change it, I think it's better to give it another enters the battlefield ability, like "gain 4 life" or something, ensuring you will live until next turn.

Aoret

Developer
So despite my better judgment I watched some magic coverage. LSVs Fevered Visions deck looked cool. In what universe is that a card? UR prowess decks in my environment are definitely interested in that type of effect, but I also can't imagine anyone in my environment being able to afford taking turn three off to not affect the board. Should I try running this as-is just to see? Is it completely stupid and I shouldn't even entertain it? Does it need to be cheaper? Does it need to do something like ETB shoot a creature for 1-2 damage or cantrip?

These questions and more on the next episode of Aoret Adds Janky Cards Because They're New.