Card/Deck Someone sell me on Birthing Pod (but first, long backstory)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Legacy says hi and nods suggestively in the direction of its cute single friend, Veteran Explorer

the other cool thing about Pod is that it's a nonpoisonous new archetype you can add to a cube, with a wealth of options, for the low cost of three slots. If your players enjoy creative deckbuilding adding Pod will keep them entertained for months.

Veteran Explorer was a lot more attractive in his home country unfortunately, where people got the cultural references for his jokes and opponent's didn't have basics to fetch up. Here nobody really has that many nonbasics, and he keeps confusing people when he talks about "football"

Ah well, not every exchange program is a success.

Between the Riptide manabase (double fetches) and ULD, I regularly see 2-3 players in a draft who only have 1-2 basics in their deck. The first one that dies is certainly not good enough. But what about the second and third copies?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Between the Riptide manabase (double fetches) and ULD, I regularly see 2-3 players in a draft who only have 1-2 basics in their deck. The first one that dies is certainly not good enough. But what about the second and third copies?

How many lands do you run?

I think on average my players still have 7-8 basics in their decks. (9-10 nonbasics)

Veteran Explorer was a lot more attractive in his home country unfortunately, where people got the cultural references for his jokes and opponent's didn't have basics to fetch up. Here nobody really has that many nonbasics, and he keeps confusing people when he talks about "football"

Ah well, not every exchange program is a success.

I think Veteran Explorer will find, in fact, that talking in a foreign accent about "football" is mondo hot and that being able to break the symmetry of Explorer's ramp (either by fixing more colours or just having a higher curve) makes it okay most of the time. He's a popular 1-drop for pod here, since his death trigger lets you cast the big creatures in your hand. We still have basics - my players get 3 ULD picks each, what about y'all? - and he's mostly been just okay for exactly that reason, but there's no denying it's a powerful effect at a cheap cost. Some decks will be interested, some won't!

(i'd say we average 6-8 basics / 8-10 nonbasics)

I've got double fetches +3 extra fetches (that align with the three-color card slot), duals, shocks, Creeping Tar Pit, 3 Wasteland, and a Horizon Canopy in the main draft. We get 4 ULD picks, of which include 2 "Temple of Choice" and a "Fastland of Choice" that almost always get played. Also 3 Cloudpost/2 Glimmerpost and Artifact Land packages are availible. People here tend to play at least 2-3 of their ULD picks.

But mostly, I cube with greedy fuckers.

I've got double fetches +3 extra fetches (that align with the three-color card slot), duals, shocks, Creeping Tar Pit, 3 Wasteland, and a Horizon Canopy in the main draft. We get 4 ULD picks, of which include 2 "Temple of Choice" and a "Fastland of Choice" that almost always get played. Also 3 Cloudpost/2 Glimmerpost and Artifact Land packages are availible. People here tend to play at least 2-3 of their ULD picks.

But mostly, I cube with greedy fuckers.

Alright, someone show me this Utility Land Draft I'm missing out on. Please?