General [STX] Strixhaven Spoilers

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Obviously cube is very different and the barrier to entry is often a good bit lower and I simply need to acclimate my expectations a bit for the context that a lot of Riptide Lab cubes are operating at. I'm not really used to formats where something like Cunning Rhetoric is a seriously considered playable card as I don't really play retail limited or have any cubes anywhere close to that segment of the power level pyramid so my unfamiliarity with this space is certainly going to color how I view these kinds of cards as I'm used to seeing cards like Sea Snidd and Kianne, Dean of Substance and as far as a Standard power level format is concerned they're both "unplayable garbage" but in low power formats the actual gradient between the two is apparent and I need to do a better job at recognizing that here. :)
It took a very enlightening discussion on the Brainstorming Discord for me to realize that my cube is actually way closer to (modern era) retail limited than I realized. It has a narrower power band, but WotC has become quite good at raising the floor of their commons and uncommons and creating more interlocking, well supported archetypes in their sets in recent years.

THIS CARD IS RIDICULOUS

I just lost 0-2 against a guy who had two of these, and I weren't that salty since opposing Crystalline Giant got immediately hexproof two games in a row in Ikoria limited when that was new. Actually, it was worse. In this format, when you're drafting Prismari, this guy reads like this:

Piece of Shit {4}
Creature - Mistake (r)
When this creature or another creature you control dies, gets bounced or exiled (really doesn't matter), just somehow leaves the battlefield, you create at least one free 4/4 elemental token. Yeah you read correctly.
"Who said limited games should be fun?"
4/4

phew

Now I feel better

Chris Taylor

Contributor
That looks delicious

And yes, what Ravnic is pointing out is true: you can stack multiple of the triggers from this card on one creature, bounce it and then get like, 4 4/4s

Actually, I would love some fries now. Soulfood, you know?

You just need an not empty board with this guy and one or two instants to take over the game. And as soon as you're the aggro, it also works well with sorceries. Your creatures won't trade, they'll kill theirs and get upgraded to one or multiple 4/4s.

Yeah, I got my teeth kicked in by that guy in the draft challenge. Ended a run I had with a pretty sweet Witherbloom deck, so that card is on my shit list at the moment.

THIS CARD IS RIDICULOUS

I just lost 0-2 against a guy who had two of these, and I weren't that salty since opposing Crystalline Giant got immediately hexproof two games in a row in Ikoria limited when that was new. Actually, it was worse. In this format, when you're drafting Prismari, this guy reads like this:

Piece of Shit {4}
Creature - Mistake (r)
When this creature or another creature you control dies, gets bounced or exiled (really doesn't matter), just somehow leaves the battlefield, you create at least one free 4/4 elemental token. Yeah you read correctly.
"Who said limited games should be fun?"
4/4

phew

Now I feel better
Every time I've had this card in Draft I've lost. It's very strong, but I think calling it a Mistake is...

...A Mistake.