Sets The Best of Tarkir Block

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
The Best Card in Khans of Tarkir

Many cube enthusiasts can't help but be a little disappointed at one of the core themes of Khans of Tarkir: three color cards. We all know the design limitations of cube and how they relate to heavily restrictive casting costs, so no need to dwell on them. The multicolor cards in this set were very good and those who were willing to tinker their design to include them were rewarded with some amazing options like Sidisi, Brood Tyrant, Savage Knuckleblade, Mardu Ascendancy, and Anafenza, the Foremost. But under the golden gifts, there were a lot of really amazing single color cards that pushed players in different directions. One word I heard used to describe the set was "inspiring". The three color themes inspired bold, broad based design in some, but the mechanics of the set also were inspiring, making players think about the value of different resources and how they relate. Azban Falconer and its ilk made people think deeper about the value of the +1/+1 counter as a resource and Khans delivered new payoff angles for the theme. Sure, Morningtide did it first with cards like Rage Forger, but Khans took the concept and did it in a better, broader, more self sufficient manner. Then, you had delve which helped give a new emphasis on graveyard management and provided insanely powerful rewards like Treasure Cruise for accumulating a big graveyard.

The mechanic that seemed to excite the most people, though, was Prowess. Prowess isn't fancy, giving a mere +1/+1 until end of turn, but the reward came from something extremely simple: casting a non-creature spell. That's something decks do all the time, naturally, as part of gameplay. But still, is it a big deal? Its not like Delver of Secrets and Young Pyromancer are tearing up cubes. Its not like a non-permanent +1/+1 buff is going to incentivize players to do that more, right?

Actually, it will. The first thing note about prowess is that unlike previous "spells matter" cards that only work on an instant or a sorcery, prowess triggers off of artifacts, enchantments and planeswalkers, which opens up tons of deckbuilding space. No longer must you choose between a less appropriate card with a trigger and a better one that gets you nothing. Also as a consequence of this is that prowess supports more then just spells matter decks. These creatures cross over into heroic/aura-aggro decks, artifact decks, and are great in any deck with way too many planeswalkers. Cards that find ways of connecting decktypes are great for brewers who like the deckmaking opportunities that cube provides and will invariably use these types of cards as glue to make decks you didn't think were possible in your cube work. Prowess, you could say, is an inspiring ability and is a great representative of the set as a whole.

Specifically, Seeker of the Way is the best card in Khans of Tarkir. His most important attribute is that he is a white card, which is important because it helps him bring the spells matter theme into a third color. He's also an asskicking aggro creature that is a huge threat, specifically to any deck that tries to race. A 3/3 lifelink for 1W would just be a stupid card and Seeker of the Way will be that as long as you can feed him. That lifelink also makes him life gain matters support. He is in the best color for aura aggro and looks fantastic wearing a turn three Empyreal Armor. He's a fine silver medal in a doublestrike deck. He's better then most random 2 drops as a 23rd card in a loose deck, because he's got a good chance of getting a 6 life swing before he's useless. And, at worst he's a bear, which is not the worst thing you can be, even in cube (see again Delver of Secrets).

And he's a human warrior, two types which are very relevant for incidental support.

He's powerful in his theme, he ties in multiple themes, he's incidentally relevant, and not that bad as a random body. Seeker of the Way is pretty much a perfect design and is definitely the best card in Khans of Tarkir.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
The Best Card in Fate Reforged

Fate Reforged came to us after a very disappointing middle set from the Theros block, but managed to crush expectations. While it lacked the inspirational power of Khans, Fate Reforged brought tears to many Power-Maxers eyes with a handful of amazingly powerful effects. Sure, there was no Treasure Cruise to be found here. Granted, bolster was basically useless, but there were insane goods for everyone. Prowess got rounded out with two more solid cards, delve got a laugh out loud worthy "1 drop", and speaking of actual one drops, there is a really sweet scaling one in here too.

But all that aside, the set lacked the inherent charisma of Khans. There just weren't the cards here that were likely to add elegance to a design. In fact, the best card in the set doesn't add any elegance at all. It doesn't connect any themes. Its not a very good random body. And as far as being incidentally relevant, its actually quite the opposite.

You see, the best card from Fate Reforged is Soulflayer and to call him awkward is an understatement. Soulflayer uses the delve mechanic and while it is true that BB for a 4/4 is pretty good, when you consider that you have to invest your graveyard, which is likely a resource for other cards in your deck, its not actually that great an investment. And besides Hooting Mandrills from Khans could get down to G and came with a keyword and it wasn't best in set material, right?

Obviously what makes Soulflayer great is the Keyword stealing ability and let me tell you it is a glorious ability. When you draft Soulflayer, all of the sudden your perspective on the other cards in the draft change, just a little. The draft becomes a scavenger hunt as you try to hunt down the best keywords so that your little demon gets insane. Vampire Nighthawk obviously moves up a few spots in importance, but does Vault Skirge suddenly have a place in your deck? That Flamewake Phoenix looks really good all of the sudden, even if your demon doesn't delve it, it can bring the phoenix back to life. And don't they have similar enablers? This deck is suddenly making sense! Soulflayer doesn't have incidental synergy like many good cube cards, but he gives every other keyworded creature in your cube de facto synergistic which is an extremely charming quality in a card.

Having little minigames in Magic is fun for the player who has them, but can often be boring for the opponent. Ask anyone who has had to watch someone play a combo deck for ten minutes during a particularly tricky sequence. The player comboing out gets to solve an interesting puzzle while the other player. . . . sits there. This is the opposite of quality gameplay. Soulflayer admittedly won't instantly win you a game if you play it right, but on the plus side his keyword hunter mingame is lots of fun and doesn't interfere with playing the game against your opponent. Building the awesomest BB 4/4 just happens naturally in the game. And for your opponent, its just a dude that needs killing. For the player, it makes drafting more interesting. And for the cube designer, it gives you a terrible, terrible reason to put Chromanticore in your cube. And that definitely makes Soul Flayer the best card in Fates Reforged.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
The Best Card in Dragons of Tarkir

Dragons of Tarkir isn't even out yet so I'm not going to guess about how it is going to be received. It looks really good to me. Rebound is awful in the set, but otherwise I found it very likable. Warriors are now a full fledged incidental tribe that will probably never get support again, but is pretty awesome. The set is jammed full of huge dragons, which are awesome for a literal dragon cube. The set has build arounds, gimmicks and some raw power, making it likely that everyone will find something to love in this set.

You will have to forgive me for the card I am going to pick as the best one in this set, but please hear me out. I am one of the devoted disciples of the +1/+1 counter synergy deck and the card I picked is a support card for that deck. But before you decry me as simply picking a card that fits my pet theme, I'd like to remind you that I did NOT declare Abzan Falconer, Hardened Scales, or Anafenza, the Foremost the best card in Khans. I did NOT declare Citadel Siege the best card in Fate Reforged. I didn't even pick Hero of Iroas from the very weak Born of the Gods set even though my love for heroic and +1/+1 counters are both well known. So know full well that I picked this card not simply because of my taste, but because the design on this card is incredible. There were about 10 cards in this set that could have been declared the best of Dragons of Tarkir, but the one I picked stands about them ever so slightly.

Inspiring Call is the perfect theme card, because it addresses a fundamental issue of that theme in a way that provides both play and counterplay.

+1/+1 counter decks rely heavily on brute force. They make creatures bigger, but they also have lots of cards that make all creatures bigger, so they often put a lot of creatures on the table. The weakness here is obvious: if you invest a lot of mana into one beefed up creature or a bunch of creatures and a pump effect, that is a lot you are going to lose to a resolved board sweeper. Even a piece of spot removal can ruin your day. The decks also tend to run combinational effects and can be slowed down significantly without the right draws. Damnation and its ilk were often free wins against this kind of deck and that kind of fragility isn't particularly fun.

Over the past few sets we've seen plenty of ways to make creatures bigger and to leverage counters, but little to help address these decks' fundamental weakness. Ajani, Mentor of Heroes is decent in this regard, as he could find more dudes when you needed them or advance your position when you didn't, but a 5 mana multicolor card is only a partial solution. What these decks never really had was a great, well costed way to protect their investments. Things like Rootborn Defenses were exceedingly narrow and situational and the upside was often irrelevant. Inspiring Call is the card that these decks have been looking for. Rather then providing more brute force, Inspiring Call gives the decks card draw and protection from removal. It is an instant where half the effect in reactive, so intrinsic in the design is a compromise: you need to decide when to stop advancing your board and hold mana, which of course room for the opponent to play around the effect But, in the tradition of many great Magic cards, Inspiring Call can just be cashed in to do something else that is universally useful. You get to draw cards for having guys on the table, needing only one creature with a counter to cycle it. Not only that, the scaling on it is insane: a three mana instant that can easily draw 3+ cards is awesome. However, the card can't go in any deck and requires commitment to the theme, but with the raw power involved it will be an extremely effective incentive. Add to this that +1/+1 counters are a 5 color, non-poisonous theme that transcends archetypes and you have a truly great card. The fact that it is efficient card drawing that isn't blue is nice, particularly since being situational it doesn't feel like it is encroaching on blue's turf.

It may be a little narrow, but Inspiring Call is the best card in Dragons of Tarkir because it gives needed depth to a great theme in a unique and powerful way.

inspiringcall.jpg

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Oh you, stop it! You're making me blush! ;3
How'd you know I was talking about you?

Khans definitely made me think more and inspired more design decisions that made my cube better. Dragons, though, I like too, because the developed power level of the actual cards just seems more on target.

Seeker added a lot to spells matter and sorta reinforced ideas that white token strategies are an essential way to create bleed from what is essentially just a blue red deck into broader cube archetypes.

I love delve and prowess for making magic reward interaction density and synergy in the way it does. I also love that it doesn't do it in a way that's very blatant either, like what we saw from enchantment themes and devotion.

You're probably right about seeker lol.

CML

Contributor
For KTK I vote for this card for its graveyard synergy and tutor-tree-level multifariousness

For FRF I vote for this card that's kinda not 3 colors for its reinforcement of sac and pump themes, snug-fit power level, and difficult and interactive decisions every combat

Honorable mention: the only cool 3-color card

Best guess for DTK: new Sidisi

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Fuck! I had a huge reply and then the page crashed :(

en_cYDBAvpeRM.png

Delve was the best mechanic by far in Khans block, followed closely however by Prowess. I love the breadth that was added to the +1/+1 counter theme, and the multitude of humans printed. As the owner of a cube with a focus on gold cards, I love how many powerful gold options this block added as well.

Honorable mentions include Surrak punch spells, the other FrF khans(except Dagatar, but I still like him), a mix of dragons, delve spells, the megamorph 2 drop cycle, some prowess dudes, and the +1/+1 counter lords.

EDIT: Surrak is the DTK card. He'll be visible eventually...

Man I am so surprised to see surrak showing up so much on here. He just doesn't feel like he does enough to make him more interesting than other above the curve attacking creatures to me. Green is just so dense on great attacking and blocking 4s I kinda look for a new vector now.

I'm not feeling the Surrak either...

Inspiring call feels a little poisonous. I have to admit I glossed over it because of that, but you're making me consider it. How big a counter theme do you need for it?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I'm not feeling the Surrak either...

Inspiring call feels a little poisonous. I have to admit I glossed over it because of that, but you're making me consider it. How big a counter theme do you need for it?
You need to be running enough incidental counter creatures that having 2 dudes with counters on them on turn 4 is a normal occurrence. If you only have one dude out most of the time, you might as well shelter. Obviously the ceiling gets nuts on it with token maker + Ajani or Big Mike. Travel Preparation is another card that gets you what you need with a bare minimum of cost.

I mean, yeah, its not a super flexible card, but its not super poisonous because the effect is so strong when it hits and its not asking for anything extremely specific (like a creature type).

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think the issues are that +1 +1 counter themes are still pretty niche, and that its a card that dosen't actually do anything unless you drafted a density of +1 +1 effects.

Compare it with feat of resistance, a card which also works really well with a +1 +1 theme, but is perfectly fine in a deck (or cube) that dosen't care about counters.

Surrak does something in green that green never had before. He grants haste to dudes. Before, it was exclusively red to do this. But now, ANY green deck could do it & that is a big deal. G/W Timmy gets scarier for sure. G/B reanimator gives you even MORE value. Humans decks can get hastey. G/R Fires strategies can be more prevalent. I'm sure G/U doesn't even mind giving some of its guys haste. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Haste might not be that good. But if there was ever a color that appreciates it, its green. Besides, what other 4 drops in green promote any kind of archetype single-handedly? Obstinate Baloth is ok in that subpar lifegain theme. Vengevine is dec in like 1 or 2 decks. Master of the Wild Hunt/Polukranos=raw power. Deadbridge pushes a graveyard theme a bit? Oh, can't forget Kozilek's Predator or Briarhorn, amirite?

Point is that green 4s aren't bad but are far from pushing any interesting archetype single-handedly. They're just powerful. Surrak does what other green beefheads don't, & his body is just as solid.

I like master, kranos, vine, card advantage 4s because they usually give you more gameplay and give green decks something outside of their normal purview but that's just this old cantankerous ogres opinion.

I hope surrak rules

Dude karl I love your willingness to check out the value command. That thing is good in so many different game states.

I like master, kranos, vine, card advantage 4s because they usually give you more gameplay and give green decks something outside of their normal purview but that's just this old cantankerous ogres opinion.

I hope surrak rules

Dude karl I love your willingness to check out the value command. That thing is good in so many different game states.

I'm not saying those 4s are bad, I love them. But they don't promote any archetypes like Surrak does. That's why I like surrak. He's solid on his own & arguably better than Ogre Battledriver when he's not alone.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I think you won me over. I was going to skip over Surrak entirely, but now I think I'm going to test him.

I don't know what's gotten into you, GenericZero, but your posts lately have been completely kick ass.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I think you won me over. I was going to skip over Surrak entirely, but now I think I'm going to test him.

I don't know what's gotten into you, GenericZero, but your posts lately have been completely kick ass.

Man, why didn't they print a donkey-hoser called "Kick Ass" in Unhinged?