The Board Game Thread

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I haven't played it, but I've heard good things. I've also heard it's a fairly long game, which might be a bit much for gateway players.

It has a short-med-long length options, but basically short feels like "wait it's done?" and long feels like EDH control mirrors
That being said short is a fine way to teach people the mechanics

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Just played Codenames, and can confirm it's great - short games, not unlike the length of Magic games, with a simple ruleset, but very skill-testing. Really want to play again!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So I know I'm a million years behind the times, but I played 7 Wonders last night.

This game is super sweet! The drafting mechanic is a nice little next level thing, and the symbology can be a bit hard to read at first, but it looks like theres a TON of replay value. I was thinking of making Splendor my board game gift to myself, but that might change. (Not least of which that I can probably mimic the gameplay of splendor with a few proxies and poker chips :p)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So I know I'm a million years behind the times, but I played 7 Wonders last night.

This game is super sweet! The drafting mechanic is a nice little next level thing, and the symbology can be a bit hard to read at first, but it looks like theres a TON of replay value. I was thinking of making Splendor my board game gift to myself, but that might change. (Not least of which that I can probably mimic the gameplay of splendor with a few proxies and poker chips :p)
Buy the Cities expansion as well, it really improves the game and its replayability factor imho.

The Leaders expansion messes a bit too much with the basic math behind the game, which leads to some blowout games. Skip it unless you plan to replay 7 Wonders a lot!

If you get tired of playing the same wonders over and over, there's a super fun expansion floating around on boardgamegeek that you can easily print at a P&P shop.

I'm surprised that 7W Duels haven't had more traction here, I personally think that the draft mechanic in it is great. I fully agree that Codenames is great, have played it a couple of times during the holidays.

I can also recommend One night ulitmate werewolf, if you want to play a mafia style game without the boring elimination, and the old Colossal Arena, that I found hidden away at home.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm surprised that 7W Duels haven't had more traction here, I personally think that the draft mechanic in it is great. I fully agree that Codenames is great, have played it a couple of times during the holidays.

I can also recommend One night ulitmata werewolf, if you want to play a mafia style game without the boring elimination, and the old Colossal Arena, that I found hidden away at home.

My wife refuses to play duel board games with me, we play hidden object games instead.

7 Wonders is great! I really need to get back to that game.

I received Tigris & Euphrates and Keyflower: The Merchants for Christmas. I also swung by Barnes & Noble and picked up Codenames yesterday.

I don't dislike SU&SD or their blog, but I've learned that we have very different tastes.

Rahdo from Rahdo Runs Through seems to have the most reliable video reviews for me.

Edit: I wanted to add that I find board game review videos in general to be lacking. I can't put my finger on it, but there's just always something gimmicky or off putting.

Yep, SUSD does a little hyperbole to make their reviews more entertaining. I find them useful, though, and share their love for Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective and Space Trucker(and almost all Vlaada games).

They tipped me off to Above and Below, holy shit it's like Arabian Nights but with better hinting as to what courses of action you might prefer and remixed to have a little dwarf fortress feel with the buildings and the going on underground adventures.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think Avalon is the most fun to be had in the boardgaming world right now. I've played it with so many different groups and it's always been a "just one more game" play for hours hit, even with complete non-gamers.

Avalon is surprisingly good. I am not usually a fan of sit-around-and-argue-until-the-most-charismatic-person-wins games, but the team aspect of losing together does a lot to take the sting off of being spot-on correct with your deductions while being unable to wheedle cajole and bully the table into believing you.

It is very fun with a dry erase board, grids of names and affiliations, and increasingly unfounded guesses as to who's who!

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
No great new games to report from this year's gaming retreat. The best games I played were old favorites, lead by Imperial, Stephenson's Rocket, and The Great Zimbabwe.

I played Food Chain Magnate twice and liked it. The game is nasty. In the second game I played, I set myself up for a huge turn, only for the game end condition to trigger before it came, sending me from an easy first place to a not even close last place. Ironically, I lost because I made too much money in the preceding turn. The game is a bit clunky, not as bad as 18xx or Indonesia, but enough so that I need to be in the right mood to play it. Don't buy it unless you really like the genre, but if you do, definitely buy it.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Zimbabwe is much more approachable: it takes less time to teach, its easier to set up, it takes up less table space, it takes less time to play, there are fewer arithmetic calculations, the arithmetic calculations are easier, the number of cards in the game is much more manageable. . . its just has less stuff standing between you and the gameplay. I'm not saying its a better game or that you'll like it better, but it is definitely easier to play. You have to want to play FCM, you'll never play it "just to play a game".

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Went to a splendor tournament today, got thrashed (1-2)

Playing the game with better players did turn my understanding of the "meta" on its head though :p