General The Constructed thread

Is having the full cycle of ten fetches too much, or should we expect them when dragons of Tarkir rolls around? Also, is it worth playing crackling doom in a mardu aggro list?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Interesting! I wouldn't have guessed that from just reading it. I guess it almost always gets rid of the most annoying creature (including a certain pro-white dragon) at any time, while still dealing damage.

It gets damage in that Mardu charm never will, while also dealing with polukranos, pro colors, indestructible active gods, and almost anything dodging the 4 damage spells or targeted removal.

No way I just played in onslaught and people thought it was sweet and okay as an extension of more sound deck building decisions. Etc.
I'm also just, like, really into deck thinning and shuffling.

Regarding the fetches, I'm convinced they'll show up in the next set, because of wizards policy of color distribution among the lands within the block, in tandem with the new rotation format meaning the first and second set will rotate at once while the third large set stay in standard. Only leaving half the fetches in the format of the next autumn standard sounds very unlikely.

It would be quite tough to fit in a five land cycle into a small set. I think we'll either get them in Spring or in whatever the next big Fall expansion is going to be. I'm still not familiar with the next rotation so I might be completely off.

I don't know if it will pan out as well in Constructed, but Abzan Charm was amazing for me during the midnight prerelease. Dear god, all three modes were so relevant at all times and moving +1/+1 counters onto guys at instant speed has such blowout potential, especially in Limited. Also picked up a Bloodstained Mire and Raidcrawler via trades, great night!

Regarding the fetches, I'm convinced they'll show up in the next set, because of wizards policy of color distribution among the lands within the block, in tandem with the new rotation format meaning the first and second set will rotate at once while the third large set stay in standard. Only leaving half the fetches in the format of the next autumn standard sounds very unlikely.

The problem with this is that they only said they were concerned over having enough fixing for block- the cycle of common lands and tri lands, on top of the coming "we're not really supporting block anymore" doesn't make the likelihood great IMO.

Crackling doom is pretty fantastic honestly- especially when you get to nuke a planeswalker with the two damage. I really wish it was three but can't have it all, I suppose.

Local guy has been playtesting an infinite combo with Jeskai Ascendancy- basically you run various dorks out- mostly voyaging satyr and kiora's follower- and then slam a bunch of cantripping things while untapping your enchanted lands after every ascendancy trigger, eventually either fireballing your opponent out via crater's claws or dragon mantle, or just attacking because your guys are huge. It was largely too durdly but could go off out of nowhere relatively easily.

He always tests relatively strange decks and is either way off (was convinced green/black constellation was the format-warper when JOU released) or extremely on-point (pioneered mono blue extremely early) but always interesting.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Jeskai Ascendancy look like a baller card. Definitely interesting enough for cube if you can support three-color decks. Stapling looting onto any noncreature spell is already good, buffing and untapping your creatures is very nice gravy.

Jeskai ascendancy + convoke.

There are a lot of variations on the ascendancy storm deck. Most common kill conditions I've seen are burning anger, retraction helix combos and crater's claw.

Junk and esper seem pretty powerful- they access to IMO the most powerful cards ATM (thoughtseize, hero's downfall, utter end, elspeth) and have ramp/counterspells and their own other goodies like siege rhino and ashiok that are very threatening. I haven't seen a xenagos-based deck perform anywhere near as well yet- red removal just isn't quite up to snuff. Decks that lose anger of the gods really really hard vs. those that don't: the format. P.S. No one plays anger of the gods.

Local pro-tour goer predicts banning of Jeskai ascendency if the mana dork 'storm' deck gets too popular- it can take a pretty hefty amount of time to actually go off and you have to keep track of floating mana and number of +1/+1s your creatures have etc. It's just very cumbersome and time-consuming, he says.

Looked over pre-order prices at my three LGSs and it's like two of them don't even want customers- literally 15-40% price increase on every single card, but here they are literally selling out of $8 siege rhinos at midnight... jesus.

*Jeskai Ascendancy will very possibly be banned*

It's shit like this that makes me really frustrated with MtG players. A combo reliant on mana dorks (more than two cards) is not just not consistent enough to warrant banning. Even SPLINTER TWIN combos are not banned and it's a two card combo! Pro tour player or not, that statement is exaggerated bullocks and he should be ashamed of himself for making such a blatantly ridiculous statement.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
*Jeskai Ascendancy will very possibly be banned*

It's shit like this that makes me really frustrated with MtG players. A combo reliant on mana dorks (more than two cards) is not just not consistent enough to warrant banning. Even SPLINTER TWIN combos are not banned and it's a two card combo! Pro tour player or not, that statement is exaggerated bullocks and he should be ashamed of himself for making such a blatantly ridiculous statement.

Link?

Jeskai Ascendancy ban-worthy? What? An Ascendancy Dork Combo sounds about as viable as that weird Thassa's Ire combo from JIN Pro Tour which was super fringe.

People will play Anger of the Gods in the new Standard if it proves to be a good sweeper, which all signs seem to point to. Anger will take off if Mono-Black Aggro is still a thing (which seems likely) and people are jamming Mystics and Caryatids into their decks. Sure, it can't kill a Courser, but aside from End Hostilities there isn't another viable board sweeper that can cover your bases as effectively.

There's also an awful Standard version that had 2 copies in the top 32 of SCG Indy this weekend.

Friend top 4'd a TCGplayer 5k with my Abzan Reanimator list. Austin PTQ winner top 4'd with Esper. Friend who was playing my monoblue deck apparently lost his win-and-in but I dunno if that's actually true.