General The Constructed thread

CML

Contributor
the good ol 4-0 0-4

someone recommend a legacy deck that i will not hate

(prefers: creatures, must be good)

I've played pauper combo elves a bit on MTGO, which was pretty fun, with a pretty bad deck with no answers to anything, but getting all the mana was pretty fun.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I've played pauper combo elves a bit on MTGO, which was pretty fun, with a pretty bad deck with no answers to anything, but getting all the mana was pretty fun.

What was the list? I was looking for just such a janky deck, but unfortunatly nettle sentinel only gets played in efficent green aggro decks I will have nothing to do with.

What was the list? I was looking for just such a janky deck, but unfortunatly nettle sentinel only gets played in efficent green aggro decks I will have nothing to do with.

I've played around with a couple of different lists, but let me see what I can find.

Ok, MTGO ate my decks, boooo, but it went a little something like this:

priest of titania, lys alana huntmaster, timberwatch elf, fyndhorn elves, llanowar elves, coiling oracle, nettle sentinel, wellwisher, elvish visionary, quirion ranger, essence warden, birchlore rangers, manamorphose, gitaxian probe, distant melody, and probably a kaervek's torch as well, along with a burst of speed, and I tried vitalize at some point. Essence warden and wellwisher are in the SB, along with some other weird cards. When I last played this deck though, cloudpost was legal. I recall doing decently in a daily, close but no cigar.

I also played about 7 - 13 lands, two of them simic guildgates.

VibeBox

Contributor
not that i give a shit about modern,but...
jace is so strong p much no one would consider unbanning it
bbe almost single handedly held jace in check in standard
why would you wanna have to play against that again?

if ancestral visions is considered fast enough to be impactful and banworthy i don't see any logical way wotc can argue bbe isn't.
not that wotc actually operates on consistent logic. they love creatures and hate spells so i wouldn't be thaaat surprised to se bbe get another whirl. hell i wouldn't have been surprised if they'd let drs run the show a while longer despite the numbers.

If I remember correctly ancestral visions was banned for making some combo decks too consistent they make the games kinda snoozy in the same way a greensunz might. I think finkle was also quoted as saying he could make an ancestral storm deck with something like 70% against the field if it wasn't banned, but they've banned other cards since then so I think it's no longer true.

lol I also think drawing an argument between BBE and Visions is pretty glib. Lets also make a conversation about manamorphose as it compares to thoughtseize.

MAYBE I SHOULD EXPLAIN
My idea here is so modern continues to be exciting and kinda busted, but to have your fast cards deeper into corners and not cost freaking 1 coloured mana at their cheapest. Like do you think a BBE nacatl deck / better jund would give a dig through time delver / scape / twin a run for their money?

CML

Contributor
after winning saturday's pretq (kinda lame) for the 4th t8 in four weeks i have concluded not playing the abzan whip deck is stupid because it is good. either that or i am good, and i am not good. we bumped it up to 4 eidolons and i have no idea how i ever played another version.

unrelated note: does anyone know how to crack parallels? i had it cracked but then fucked up by installing an update and with the bay down for the count finding reputable ways to get the trial to f off is increasingly difficult. someone hook a brotha up

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Great job Chris, a real testament to mastering a deck (and to playing Siege Rhino). What was your list?

Missed Top 8 on breakers with Abzan Aggro so I'm probably just running that back if I man up and go to Dublin this weekend.

Reactions: CML

CML

Contributor
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Courser of Kruphix
1 Pharika, God of Affliction
2 Abzan Charm
3 Hero’s Downfall
4 Eidolon of Blossoms
4 Siege Rhino
3 Whip of Erebos
4 Doomwake Giant
3 Hornet Queen

4 Sandsteppe Citadel
4 Temple of Malady
4 Windswept Heath
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Forest
1 Caves of Koilos
1 Temple of Silence
1 Plains
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
---
4 Thoughtseize
2 Reclamation Sage
2 Utter End
2 Arbor Colossus
2 Bile Blight
1 Glare of Heresy
1 Pharika, God of Affliction
1 Something Else

I think I want to start playing Block. Should I run Junk or Jeskai with new prowes Guy? Or some Black-based aggro deck is a possibility, I guess.

Hey kittens.
Does Spellstutter seem okay in modern now that decks are brimming with 1 and 2cc cards? Like I know it's hardly the way to win games but it seems like the 1/1 is relevant now and so is the counter.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Hey kittens.
Does Spellstutter seem okay in modern now that decks are brimming with 1 and 2cc cards? Like I know it's hardly the way to win games but it seems like the 1/1 is relevant now and so is the counter.

Also, Vendilion Clique is still a very good card and incidental faerie support for the Sprite. Not that I have much of a clue about Modern, but I wouldn't play Spellstutter without the 3/1.