The Dandy Cube (Chris Taylor's Cube)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Lost Shephard is awesome. I'd totally play that. Envenomed Blade too.

Really great work on these custom cards. The art is sweet.

He's currently a double as a way to get UB to abuse value creatures, as well as some more support for pod.

Note for Envenomed Blade: There's 2 spikeshot elders in the cube, and no other pingers to combo with. (though maybe cunning sparkmage can make a return)
There are however quite a few things with/to give trample :D

If I ever decide to run custom cards (and find a way to make good proxies), I'm stealing a bunch of yours. They are well thought out. A few are maybe a little OP, but if I designed cards they'd ALL be OP, so you've exercised constraint from where I'm standing. :)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
If I ever decide to run custom cards (and find a way to make good proxies), I'm stealing a bunch of yours. They are well thought out. A few are maybe a little OP, but if I designed cards they'd ALL be OP, so you've exercised constraint from where I'm standing. :)

I am up front with my drafters about that. There's no way Lost Shepard is being printed so long as Gravedigger is good in limited, but cube wise he's fine, if WAY over the jedi curve.

I feel all my cards that can't really be printed are fine from a cube standpoint

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Nother Patch!

Ins:
-Lots of Artifact Mana
-Tokeny Stuff
-Custom Killspells because soul reap has a LOT of blanks in this cube

Outs:
-Creatures overall. Blue is finally below 50%, green is close to 50%, and the rest are 55%ish
-Some Archetype Support Cards. I cut a few of the double strike 2 drops, some sac outlets, etc
-Scavenging Ooze. Too stronk.

Details to follow!

PS: Jason, hornet queen is back in so you can add that to the list of reasons you never draft my cube. A list that probably starts with "It's an 8 hour flight" and ends shortly afterward.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Out:

In:

The sylvan library is a temp until I find an actual sweet green card to put in. I don't really like it more than mirri's guile, and I don't think my cube needs 3. But on the other hand, it probably doesn't need another survival of the fittest either.

Notes:
-Path of Bravery has been basically glorious anthem 90% of the time (even with fetchlands and people fighting back). Plus: Sweet plays with combat damage causing a bunch of almost trades, then perilous myr hits me for 2 down to 19. I love this card!
-Mother of runes hasn't untapped in months
-Mistmage (the 2/1 cloudshift for 2) is likely too powerful. I got shriekmawed 4 times in one game tonight, but that might be more his fault then mistmage.
-I accidentally forgot to specify who's controller the creature returned under on Ethreal Grasp (3 cost, 1, T: flicker something), and it finally came up tonight as someone wanted to flicker a bogarden hellkite with control magic on it. I felt it was only fair to roll which way it came down, so now you can't use it to permanently steal threaten'd creatures.
-Prismatic Lens is probably where I want my mana rocks to be at 2, but I don't wanna add in like 9 of them so There's 3 mind stones in as well for now, as well as a host of randoms. The fact that they don't tap for colored mana like the talismans did is super relevant, and it makes my drafters more likely to pick ones that might usually be "out of their colors". Win win! (I still don't like sphere of the suns)
-I may need to further prune sac outlets, as I realized A) how poisony most of them are and B) how they blank all the graveyard hate I've nicely woven in to my regular killspells and wraths. Hallowed Burial does little against gravecrawler if you have Carrion Feeder out.

New Black Killspell of choice (From soul reap):

13-DarkFeast.png

Chris Taylor

Contributor
i might try some of those artifacts

i was testing out an icy manipulator that's also rusted relic

i kind of wonder if 3 drop manarock cantrip is too good though

It probably is in abstract since it's better than cultivate in like 4 ways, but cultivate has always been really weak here. There's currently 3 in my cube, so it's not like they aren't getting enough testing. :p

Interesting idea on the rusted relic! That'd be a wildfire win condition if I ever saw one.

I don't know how I never saw Volcanic Cascade in your gallery before. I'm stealing it. I like that its sort of an arc lightning that more aggressive decks still like.

Considering this, also:
Strive — Volcanic Sprinkles costs 1 more to cast for each target beyond the first.
Volcanic Sprinkles deals 2 damage divided as you choose between one or two target creatures and/or players.

Worse Shock with a Forked Bolt mode. Fire/Ice gives the effect at 2 mana also, but with instant speed, so I think its ok, but might be slightly too pushed to see print.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The gallery changes each time I do a patch, and given how bloody hard it is to document custom cards, I occasionally miss a few posting the changes here (stupid 20 image post limit which is totally justifiable...)

Strive generally didn't get the push most of the cards I make for my cube get. I'm slowly starting to realize just how different constructed and limited are, and how unfeasably strong some of my designs are, yet they all play perfectly fine.

Volcanic Sprinkles sounds cool.

If you do use Volcanic Cascade, origional credit for the idea goes back to netn9 on the MTGS boards, who came up with the idea around rise of the eldrazi!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
M15 Pre emptive patch:
Moment of Heroism > Mirrorweave
Ajani Goldmane > Ajani Steadfast
Regal Presence ( {2}{W} enchantment, upkeep make a 1/1) > Spirit Bonds
Mulldrifter > Military Intelligence
Desperate Outcast (B1 2/2 sac a creature: Gain 1 life) > Oona's Prowler
Geralf's Messenger > Xathrid Necromancer
Duress > Relentless Persecution #2 (Addle for {1} cheaper)
Lightning Mauler > Borderland Marauder
Chandra's Phoenix > Goblin Rabblemaster
Feverish Trance ( {2}{R} enchantment, upkeep chandra draw) > Soul of Shandalar
Sylvan Library > Reclamation Sage
Mind Stone > Phyrexian Revoker
Ajani, Mentor of Heroes > Qasali Pridemage

Chris Taylor

Contributor
How does Spellweaving work for you? Does it help {U}/{R} spells matter theme or some other purpose in your cube?

I kept trying and trying to make it work and eventually just gave up :(

Spellweaving came out this patch after having 0% maindeck throughout it's whole life here, even in the typically instant/sorcery filled UWR control decks. It's possible this is because nobody bothered to read it however. It seems like it would be great there, but

I'm trying to take UR in a more wildfire-y, control-y direction and it's been pretty well recieved.

I've actually had a patch since then, which I'll document here in a bit.

Updating 5 different places is hard ><

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1UR enchantment

When you cast an instant or sorcery, you may reveal an instant or sorcery from your hand and pay its mana cost. If you do, copy that instant or sorcery, you may cast the copy without paying its mana cost

in my experience that kind of thing is better left as a spice on tempo or aggressive archetypes without being its own archetype

M15 Pre emptive patch:
Moment of Heroism > Mirrorweave
Ajani Goldmane > Ajani the Steadfast
Regal Presence ( {2}{W} enchantment, upkeep make a 1/1) > Spirit Bonds
Mulldrifter > Military Intellegence
Desperate Outcast (B1 2/2 sac a creature: Gain 1 life) > Oona's Prowler
Geralf's Messenger > Xathrid Necromancer
Duress > Relentless Persecution #2 (Addle for {1} cheaper)
Lightning Mauler > Borderland Marauder
Chandra's Phoenix > Goblin Rabblemaster
Feverish Trance ( {2}{R} enchantment, upkeep chandra draw) > Soul of Shandalar
Sylvan Library > Reclamation Sage
Mind Stone > Phyrexian Revoker
Ajani, Mentor of Heroes > Qasali Pridemage

I completely disapprove of dropping Mulldrifter - that card is insane. There has to be something else you can cut. Losing Sylvan Library is a harsh pill to swallow too. Are you sure? Green has so few library manipulation / CA engines.

The rest looks good to me. Curious how good Spirit Bonds is. That's one I won't be including initially but will be keeping an eye on as others test it.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I completely disapprove of dropping Mulldrifter - that card is insane. There has to be something else you can cut. Losing Sylvan Library is a harsh pill to swallow too. Are you sure? Green has so few library manipulation / CA engines.

The rest looks good to me. Curious how good Spirit Bonds is. That's one I won't be including initially but will be keeping an eye on as others test it.

For reference, that is Mulldrifter #2 and Sylvan Library #3 :p (x2 Mirri's Guile, which I find much simpler and more elegant)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Since my patch notes have been lost to the wind, I thought i'd just take a while and talk about how this cube is coming along. I'm really feeling I'm at a sort of cube nirvana, where I feel like most all of my cards are there for a reason, and I'm happy with them :D

White

Recent Changes:
Out:
Archangel of Thune
In:
Isamaru, Hound of Konda
Spear of Heliod
Karmic Guide

White has been a solid color in my cube in recent times. Jason has espoused his hatred of token based strategies in that they create board stalls, but my experience has been quite the opposite. As your creatures are usually so cheap to produce, the token based decks can usually trade aggressively, and the board only ended up clogged when certain cards were involved, neither of them white (Avenger of Zendikar and Hornet Queen, and that's what I want them there for). Double Blade Splicer has been a nice nod to the token decks, as well as giving a removal resiliant white 3 drop with some vulnerabilities to bounce. I Highly recomend it.

The presence of large lifelinking creatures got toned down with the removal of Archangel of Thune, who was just a little less loved than baneslayer was. Many an aggro deck has been put out of the game by a double striking Flying Lifelinker of sorts (usually by way of the two silverblade paladins)

Current Custom Cards:
Loyal Ediolon {W}
Bestow {3}{W}
2/1

He's been preforming well. Nobody much complains about savannah lions with upside, and while it doesn't get bestowed much ouside of dedicated double strike decks, the option is always nice. Also, being an enchantment creature is nice for making the few value disenchant cards like Qasali Pridemage and Reclamation Sage.

Training Regime {1}{W}
Enchantment
During your turn, creatures you control get +1/+0
During other player’s turns, creatures you control get +0/+1

I always wanted glorious anthem to be a little bit better without being honor of the pure, and this card is shaping up to be a fair but pushed way of doing that. I've also got Glory of Warfare in my gold section, and people chuckle when they see the similarity.

Guardian Spirit {W}
Instant
Convoke
Target creature gains protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.

Part of the problem with the double strike based decks is that they are so vulnerable to removal. I've taken steps with my removal spells to ensure this isn't the problem it can be in other cubes, but I did want to give the double strike decks a way to fight back that didn't demand mana leak as an answer. Guardian Spirit in particular is a test to see if free is the price people are willing to pay for this effect, as Ajani's Presence has been rather niche. Though perhaps that's the way it should be?
Note: This card has not been draft tested yet.

Stay tuned for blue!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Blue

Recent Changes
Out:

Vapor Snag
Memory Lapse
Jace, Architect of Thought
In:

Conundrum Sphinx
Sphinx of Lost Truths
Remand
Dissolve
Ray of Command

Blue has been holding it's own. I've started to accept that a mainly blue aggressive strategy would make my cube a tad too aggro focused, so I've decided to let it settle into more of a supporting role in those kinds of decks. I'm hoping Military Intelligence can help in this regard, and Bident of Thassa might come in if it can't. The quad brainstorm when combined with the fetchlands has preformed quite well, giving control decks the filtering they need and support the more combo like aspects of the various aggro decks I support: Gravecrawler + Sac Outlet, Double Striker + Pump, Tokens + Anthem, etc etc etc.
Swapping Memory Lapse for Remand was mostly to reduce feelbads, and looks to be working. Maybe you should pay more attention to lucas eric :p
Upheval may or may not be too powerful, and may need to come out again.
I've also added ray of command as a way of achieving the 1.5 control magic effects I wanted. I tried dream leash, but the tapped restriction usually made it too late, even if you occasionally stole gideon jura with it. I imagine it could be cool with pestermite and similar effects to steal walkers, but that seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Current Custom Cards:

Field Researcher {U}{1}
When ~ enters the battlefield, draw a card.
2/1

The fundamental shift here is that blue actually wants to use this creature to attack, whereas it's green equivalent (elvish visionary) is more of a cantripping lifegain spell in my experience. Blue really does deserve a creature it wants to play on turn 2, and while I don't think I've hit on the perfect idea quite yet, Field Researcher has come exceptionally close.
Note: I run two copies of this card

Stumblethought {U}{1}
Flash, Flying, Changeling
When ~ enters the battlefield, counter target spell unless its controller pays 1
1/1

Spellstutter Sprite always fell a little short of what I wanted it to, and this is the result of me trying to fix that. I'll freely admit the changeling on the card has basically been because of the art, but I'm not opposed to blue getting more zombies.

Idea Plant {U}
Sorcery
Look at target player's hand. You may choose a nonland card from it. If you do, that player reveals the chosen card, puts it on the bottom of his or her library, then draws a card.
Draw a card.

I'm sure someone somewhere has proposed the idea for this card, but I actually thought of adding it when considering how to tie the sacrifice theme to blue: One of the main problems I've always had with blue is how most of it's early plays amount to durdling or sitting there, holding up mana leak. I wanted to give blue something a little more proactive to do, and I noticed black can usually fill the early turns (When it isn't casting gravecrawlers) with discard. Blue certainly can't have thoughtseize, but I think this card comes close in a blue sort of way. We'll see how it plays.
Note: This card has not been drafted yet

Wash Away {U}
Sorcery
Strive {U}{1}
Return any number of target creatures to their owner's hands.

This one is a bit of a pet card of mine. I'm unsure weather blue does need a card like this, or if it wants another cyclonic rift more, but for now it remains. Blue has a lot of other options for stallbreakers if need be.

Operation Table {U}{1}
Artifact
Tap, sacrifice a creature: Draw a card. Play this ability only as a sorcery.

This card also grew out of a desire to see the sacrifice theme branch out into blue occasionally. I may remove the sorcery restriction to open up more removal-countering and evoke synergy, but I want to see how it plays like this first. Maybe go halfway and specify "only on your turn"?
Note: This card has not been drafted yet.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Black

Recent Changes:
Out:
Zul Ashir, Lich Lord (Custom Planeswalker)
In:
Vampire Nighthawk (#2!)

Bloodline Keeper
Sever the Bloodline

Black has been a crowd favorite for a while now. So much so that gravecrawler rarely gets to utilize his synergy, and more often gets played as a generic 2/1 for 1! My drafters are strange :p
The quest for a black 2 drops that blows my mind is ongoing, but I think I've settled into a few that don't actively make me sick. While many (5/10) are still custom, their reception has been warm.

The only problem right now is possibly Volrath's Stronghold, which each time it gets drafted threatens to either hose out an aggro player with repeated shriekmaws or baleful strixs (Strixi? Strixies?) while at the same time beating control decks hand over fist. If not for wasteland, this card would be a hard card to beat in my environment, and I find myself hate drafting cards that interact with it really well, and that's rarely a good sign. Nobody should feel a card like that is unbeatable enough that they don't really consider taking something to help their deck.

Duress got replaced with another relentless persecution (Addle but 1cc) which is fast becoming my favorite discard spell. I still don't think cabal therapy is right for an environment with custom cards, but I see now why you guys have such fun with it. And this card only gets cast once!

My black killspell of choice has had a wording change from it's form above. Originally, just as all the lightning strikes in red became volcanic hammers, I swapped all the doom blade expys to soul reap (the only available sorcery speed 2cc black killspell. (I know! I was surprised too!), but this proved problematic, as in drafting doom blade, it's less likely you'll run up against another black drafter as you're naturally cutting black, but soul reap's nongreen restriction offers no such comfort. As well, the odd hybrid creature proved an equally devastating headache. Kitchen Finks is one thing, but for a moment there I had double dryad militant in as well.
Dark Feast has had the extraneous text removed, and is now just sorcery murder for {1}{B}, which I feel is much better.

13-DarkFeast.png

Current Custom Cards:

Bumbling Famaliar {1}{B}
Flying
When Bumbling Familiar enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a card and put it into your graveyard.
1/1

A mainstay of my cube essentially since I started, this entomb on legs reminds people that reanimator might not be the natural inclination with this card. It also plays well with birthing pod in green, and can randomly grab the odd flashback spell when it isn't giving people free bloodghasts

Dark Feast {1}{B}
Sorcery
Destroy target creature.

Mentioned above, I'm happy with how this card has been playing. I think it probably gives up too much of black's identity for it to crop up in a real magic set, but when I cube the less dead spells the better.
Note: I run three copies of this card

Lost Shepard {1}{B}
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may return target creature card in your graveyard to your hand
2/1

What with gravedigger being the draft pick that it is, it's unlikely anything like this will ever be printed unless it goes straight to legacy like baleful strix did. I had origionally intended for it to act like snapcaster mage for creatures and have the creature need to be cast that turn, but I didn't want him anywhere further up the curve, and the additional complexity was a bit hard to word. He's been absolutely fine though, and can give control decks reasons to play creatures (He combines really well with bone shredder ;))
Ah buffs from laziness. You're my favorite :D

Mesmeric Shambler {1}{B}
Creature - Zombie Soldier
When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals his or her hand and you choose a nonland card from it. Exile that card.
When ~ leaves the battlefield, return the exiled card to its owner’s hand.
2/1

I like mesmeric fiend as much as the next guy, but the single point of power is a strike against it for a non-evasive creature. I made sure to preserve the old wording of Mesmeric Fiend instead of the new Brain Maggot wording, as while the added complexity is somewhat annoying for the newer players, as the interaction is mostly harmless, and actually comes up enough to become accepted, unlike bouncing oblivion ring which comes up way less, and is usually exiling something the player has a bigger connection to.

Relentless Persecution {B}
Sorcery
Choose a color. Target player reveals their hand and choose a card of that color from it. That player discards that card.

One thing I love about my cube is that I can play cards which were so close to being awesome without much jumping through hoops. Addle costs 1 too much? Add in a custom card!
I definitely respect what FlowerSunRain does by the good old "sharpie erratta", (and encourage others to do so!) but most of these do require more sharpie than would be reasonable.
Plus this way I don't need to go shopping for an alpha orcish oriflame if I want it :p

Stubborn Wight {1}{B}
Creature - Zombie
Undying
2/1

Man, if only we didn't have to wait until avacyn restored to get butcher ghoul, what might have been? I did want a few zombies to exist as relatively easy ways to keep gravecrawler and co around, and I've been experimenting with a few different ways to accomplish that. Regenerate (for either 1 life or {B}) were also on the table, as was unearth (in combination with something. Dregscape Zombie isn't impressing anyone.)
He's been pretty good so far. As well, the control decks don't mind a hard to remove blocker that can trade reasonably well either.
If he proves too strong, I'll probably nerf him by making him create a diregraf ghoul token when he dies, which provides a window to swing, less power, and vulnerability to bounce. For now he seems fine though.

Underworld Shepard {3}{B}{B}
Creature - Horror
When Underworld Shepard enters the battlefield, each player exiles all creature cards from his or her graveyard, then sacrifices all non horror creatures he or she controls, then puts all cards he or she exiled this way onto the battlefield.
4/3

Essentially Living Death on legs, this card has been in my draft for a while now, but hasn't seen play yet. I'll admit it's a lot of reading, but I can't really simplify it at all, as living death is a sadly complex card to template.
Pod can be a hard deck to pull together over here, even with the 4 copies, though that may just be my slightly less experienced drafters.

Juzam Efreet {2}{B}
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life.
3/4

This is the card I show people when they get worried my custom cards are all going to be horribly designed, broken, or both. I'll admit black probably doesn't need it thesedays with Master of the Feast and Herald of Tormet really giving the black beatdown creatures a boost, but I keep him in anyways. Splashability and the base 4 toughness are both relavant factors, and I'll happily admit both it and serendib efreet have gotten their fair share of killing blows on their controllers in their time in my cube.

Man black has a pile of custom cards! Ah well.
Next: Red!