The Dandy Cube (Chris Taylor's Cube)

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I love sturdy (I don't know if that is an intentional Pokemon reference or not), it is sort of like a cross between the Myojin and the Glasskites of Kamigawa. It even gives proliferate more work to do. It seems weird looking at the two Sturdy cards and one is the first ability and the other is the second ability. It makes the ascetics look all wonky (Not a phrase I thought I would say, or even makes sense).

It could even have deeper design choices if you decide to use more of it. Like some rare that uses charge counters as an activated ability. The possibilities are endless *drools*

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I love sturdy (I don't know if that is an intentional Pokemon reference or not), it is sort of like a cross between the Myojin and the Glasskites of Kamigawa. It even gives proliferate more work to do. It seems weird looking at the two Sturdy cards and one is the first ability and the other is the second ability. It makes the ascetics look all wonky (Not a phrase I thought I would say, or even makes sense).

It could even have deeper design choices if you decide to use more of it. Like some rare that uses charge counters as an activated ability. The possibilities are endless *drools*

It is a bit of a pokemon reference, yes :p
good call on the first/second ability thing. I'll swap those and make some new proxies tonight.

And come to think of it, I was wondering if I wanted to add back in Ion Storm... Maybe a sturdy creature that gets a charge counter each turn if it doesn't have one? :D
Might need more sturdy cards first though :p
I don't want to outright replace all the persist/undying cards though, as Sturdy doesn't play well with pod.
It's a great name!
Dude, I love your blue one-drop! I want better cards that return instants and sorceries.
double up on snapcaster :p
Considering Anarchist is still good in some limited sets, nothing like this is being printed for a long time :p

2/1 fur U! Wow, you are really brutalizing the color pie and forcing it to whipspank all its relatives! 1/2, 0/3, or 0/4, the traditiional good one drop bodies in U, don't do it for ya?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
2/1 fur U! Wow, you are really brutalizing the color pie and forcing it to whipspank all its relatives! 1/2, 0/3, or 0/4, the traditiional good one drop bodies in U, don't do it for ya?

Well, no.

Good Creature:

Shit Creatures:

Color matters for what it should do, not how powerful it should be. Blue shouldn't just have worse creatures than every other color, it should have blue creatures

Blue and black do actually get worse bodies, but especially blue. AFAIK this is due to blue having a very easy time clearing blockers out of their way to swing, thus it has worse creatures for swinging with.

Whatever the reason, the numbers don't lie and show some very consistent trends. The following are the highest toughnesses on the left, and highest powers on the right, available on no-drawback bodies at each mana cost:
635620718703995377.png

Now a blue 2/1 wouldn't show up (and stick out wildly) on this chart if it had a downside, but yours actually has an upside! If you draw quadrangles around each color, it helps visualize that white gets good weenies, green gets good everything, red has a strong rightward(power without toughness) shift, and blue is shitty and leftward(toughness)-leaning:
635613949745362448.png

(method explained further here: http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/...-master-list-creature-design-theory-keen-eyes )

Mark Rosewater has periodically mentioned wotc's experiments with giving bounce spells to White in Planar Chaos. This isn't the most detailed such instance of him mentioning it, but it was the first I could find:
"In addition, tempo advantage cards are scary to give to the strongest, most aggressive weenie color."
You're doing the opposite - giving strong, aggressive weenies to the best tempo color. When it's one card, or two cards, it probably won't ruin everything ever, but you risk making a color that lacks its usual weaknesses and thus any reason to splash other colors. I know you're not making a custom set but cubes have a lot in common with those.

I hope this was interesting and not too prescriptive! See how it works, put in more aggressive blue creatures, but please give me a holler if I get a chance to say I told you so! :)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm gonna apologize in advance, this might have gotten too crusadery. TL: DR: Me and Maro design by different standards.

I think you might be approaching this from the wrong angle: Those numbers apply to all magic cards. We're not talking about what blue can do, we're talking about what blue ends up doing: what players use out of the subset of all magic cards.

Constructed formats are defined by their outliers. Cube isn't fully a constructed format, but neither is it a fully limited format: It's defined as much by outliers (Restoration Angel, Survival of the Fittest, Damnation) as it is by cards core to a color's philosophy (Lightning Bolt, Birds of Paradise, Counterspell) and while you can look at cards out of context and see weather they fit into the color pie of current magic abstractly, it makes more sense to look at these cards in the context of their format

For example:

These cards are not blue cards: they are black cards. They are zombies, they have a larger power toughness than their cost would imply, and they have a downside related to creatures (About the least blue thing ever) the graveyard. The only thing blue about these creatures is their synergy with merfolk looter. Power level wise they were fine, and the most egregious cards from that set were the ones that actually made sense in blue:

When you start to look at cubes, the context tends to shift: a 2/1+ for C is baseline, every color has them or an equivalent. Creatures tend to be above the curve you describe because cubes tend to involve powerful cards, owing mostly to their design as the hybrid Constructed Limited, defined by outliers.

Or, in another word: Mistakes.

Hell, some would actually just render constructed a wasteland. This one in particular eliminates all pretense of ever playing Black in an eternal format:
Hg8YuDl.png

Thoughtseize? Nah, too weak. I've got this
But here, it gives the blue mage something worthwhile to do while the opponent is busy getting under mana leak. Typically, blue had to either cheat (Daze, Force of Will) or pretend they weren't listening instead

I know a lot of this sounds like my cube is weird and beyond reproach, but I'm honestly not intending that. I've always designed this thing as the cube we wish we had, the one where you didn't sigh to yourself when looking over gatherer searches, wishing there were enough green 1 drops that you could make green aggro work.
Or good black 2 drops that aren't Dark Confidant.
Or good blue 1 drops at all.
White removal that works with young pyromancer
Green 3 drops that don't get laughed out of the red zone by Riot Devils (courser of kruphix was a good start, keep em coming!)
Black Lifegain other than Vampire Nighthawk
Green Finishers that don't cost 8 bloody mana (I'm not saying primeval titan doesn't exist, I'm saying he could use a friend)

Every single card I've made is a mistake: That's what makes them playable.

Heh, cool! That's is a great post and helps me understand why, among a bunch of designs that make sense to me,, you also appeared to be throwing in things that I would expect some random new person on #custommagic to pop in and ask for feedback on. Not because you're a Timmy making cards for the decks you like, but because you're intentionally crafting a Timmy-friendly environment where everything seems awesome.

So I tend to focus on trimming the top-performing outliers, and you focus on trimming the lowest-performing outliers. Makes more sense now. Illustratively, in a custom set I'm working on, I tackled the "blue one drops are crap" problem by, among other solutions, colorshifting Monastery Swifspear and removing the haste. I totally expect playtesters to look at it and feel disappointed, but I hope to reward Johnnies who give it a shot.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
pbufjvc.png

Well clearly we think alike to some extent! :p

Are there any cards in particular that look out of place? (In that My First Custom Design kinda way)
A pile of new cards came in this patch, and if some need re-doing I'd rather know now.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Are there any cards in particular that look out of place? (In that My First Custom Design kinda way)
A pile of new cards came in this patch, and if some need re-doing I'd rather know now.

Discordant Soul feels like it should reward you more. Giving fateseal 2 to your opponent is pretty good.
I think I would word Sturdy to not work with proliferate (as in: if it would be destroyed, remove all charge counters from it instead), and I would name them shield counters or toughness counters or brawn counters, or anything but charge counters really :)
The 2/1 merfolk feels most weird though, as a blue 2/1.

Going back a bit further:
Police Brutality has a very good (though cheeky) name. Direct damage doesn't feel really white though. Maybe Sunlance (i.e. to nonwhite creature)? Feels like they wouldn't strike their own, makes the "pun" even more apt :)
Rage Stoker's text spills into its P/T box. Tip: You can add trailing spaces to the last line in your text box to readjust the alignment of your text in Magic Set Editor.

Going back to the link in your first post:
Roar of the Lion feels green, not white
Riverwheel Master feels very pushed.
Idea Plant is super, super awesome.
Operation Table feels black, not remotely blue.
Chronoflitter is pretty strong, I like it!
Bumbling Familiar's text crosses the P/T box.
Lost Shepherd is an extremely efficient Gravedigger.
Rotting Steed's scavenge cost seems a tad too cheap?
Relentless Persectution has a spelling error (should be Persecution) and a templating error, it should be "Choose a color. Target player reveals his or her hand and you choose a card of that color from it. That player discards that card." (see Addle).
Woooow... Cinder Swordsman? Eesh!
Nightly Hunt misses a dot at the end of the first line.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Oh wow thanks! I kinda forgot the old customs I have are still around here somewhere.
Discordant Soul feels like it should reward you more. Giving fateseal 2 to your opponent is pretty good.
Yeah, this one probably requires a bit of tweaking. As I said before, I wanted U1 2/3, not specifically this effect. Fatesealing feels like a blue downside, but maybe 1 is enough?

I think I would word Sturdy to not work with proliferate (as in: if it would be destroyed, remove all charge counters from it instead), and I would name them shield counters or toughness counters or brawn counters, or anything but charge counters really :)
Yeah charge counters is a temp thing. Shield Counters seems best, and I can errata Ion Storm if it comes back in to eat any counter.
I specifically want them to work with proliferate though. The deck always has problems when it's losing because 90% of the time Volt charge acts like an anthem, so I wanted something that would work synergy wise and help fight that weakness.

The 2/1 merfolk feels most weird though, as a blue 2/1.
Yup. I wish it didn't feel weird and blue did occasionally get the odd agressive creature that wasn't treated like development treated Treachery, but hey what can you do.

Going back a bit further:
Police Brutality has a very good (though cheeky) name. Direct damage doesn't feel really white though. Maybe Sunlance (i.e. to nonwhite creature)? Feels like they wouldn't strike their own, makes the "pun" even more apt :)
This is one of those wierd ones:

Because to me, these two basically have the same effect.
And so Correspondingly:

These two are also very similar
Because of cards like puncturing light and reprisal, white can just destroy things sometimes. It's usually based off power, but Valorous Stance shows us it can go the other way as well. And while it could be "Destroy target creature with toughness 3 or less, or detain target creature with toughness 4 or greater", I feel this fits the flavor better, as quite often the purpose of actual police brutality is not to kill someone: it's to send a message.
The problem I have with the sunlance analogue is they definitely would hit their own! Have you seen the news? That's the whole point! :p

Rage Stoker's text spills into its P/T box. Tip: You can add trailing spaces to the last line in your text box to readjust the alignment of your text in Magic Set Editor.
Good call! I'll modify this guy in my "On Deck" file, but he has been removed this patch

Going back to the link in your first post:
Roar of the Lion feels green, not white
Eh, I was just ahead of my time :p
I see your point though. It is kinda halfway between Elven Rite, Sigil Blessing and Ajani Goldmane

Riverwheel Master feels very pushed.
He is. Everything I've said about blue 1 drops basically applies just as heavily to their 2 drops (Since snapcaster costs 3+)
And this sort of thing is weird, since I know Monastery Swiftspear (in legacy, and probably in modern too) is better than goblin guide, even though that is provably not true in cube. So I know WotC couldn't have made even a U1 2/2 prowess, since even that probably would have done stupid things to eternal formats.
However: in 450 cards, there's 25 (!!!) instants that work, (since cards like harm's way and condescend don't really) so it works more like goblin shortcutter.
He is very strong, but hasn't been oppressively so.

Idea Plant is super, super awesome.
Always good to hear :p
Operation Table feels black, not remotely blue
Yup. The closest analogue is Vivisection, from NPH where every color was doing evil, black aligned shit.
I think thawing cache does the job I wanted this card to do far better
0P4izmz.png
Chronoflitter is pretty strong, I like it!
It was a cool one, and I was a bit enamored at the time with how basically no deck cared about mana leak ever, so I wanted to give blue new avenues to deal with things.
This one's a little more Spin into Myth than it is Hinder, but I think it could probably be printed (Though I'm sure they'd make it cost like 5UU)
Bumbling Familiar's text crosses the P/T box.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOkay I'm done
Dangit how come I never realized this? He's been in my cube, unchanged since like day one! :p
Lost Shepherd is an extremely efficient Gravedigger.
He sure is! This one kind of gets weirdly self balanced by how magic happens, as when you play him early enough for the body to be relevant, you usually don't get the card, and when you play him late enough for the card to be relevant the body usually isn't. There are exceptions though, he's insanely strong with cheap evoke creatures (Basically shriekmaw) or against thoughtseize, but those cases come up infrequently enough that he's been surprisingly balanced.
I feel if I ever change my mind on that one it'll switch to a dies trigger.

Rotting Steed's scavenge cost seems a tad too cheap?
Possibly. He wasn't all that amazing on the front end, so I pushed the back end a bit to let people with survival have fun. The Sac ability doesn't kill a huge ammount of creatures in my cube either. He's been benched however, counter synergy in black was a bit paltry so I refocused the color

Relentless Persectution has a spelling error (should be Persecution) and a templating error, it should be "Choose a color. Target player reveals his or her hand and you choose a card of that color from it. That player discards that card." (see Addle).
I hate that Set Editor doesn't spell check names :p
Also: when I originally spoiled the card, I copy pasted the wording from the oracle text of Addle. Then Jason commented the wording was off, and suggested that I use the oracle text from addle. Baffled, I copy pasted the (Now different) oracle text, put that card in my cube, and now we're here, where I've just checked the oracle text for addle, found it to be what you suggested, and found that it was different to the current wording of the card o_O
i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

Woooow... Cinder Swordsman? Eesh!
Yup. That black got this card over red I'll never forgive. I'm sure there was some problem in standard at the time where there were too many good red 1 drops and they couldn't print another or something, but still.
It's Rakdos Cackler, but harder to cast, and it gains bestow. It even matches Maniacal Rage! Then again, red apparently doesn't deserve savannah lions either, so who am I to talk

Nightly Hunt misses a dot at the end of the first line.
Balls

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Okay, actual patch notes now :p
Note: The cube went from about 490 to 450, so ins are fewer than outs.
In:

Out:

Custom Cards New This Patch:
(A lot of these were in the preview, bear with me)
XyOc7J4.png
d3Uu3ky.png
9Ohpt44.png
C4gOH1h.png
D8ZZ3rU.png
nQjKP5b.png
1GGnIfP.png
8s4cILX.png
Vke8r6K.png
awmc9rL.png
kR0M8eR.png
NHXxXz2.png
N2GFMwW.png

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Actual Talking about what this patch is actually about:
Ninja Edit: Cubetutor now up to date

-Heroic Theme and all pants related cards came out. Equipment solidly for value now. I mourn the loss of wordmail blowouts
-Went from 4 Gravecrawler, 2 Bloodsoaked Champion to 2 Gravecrawler, 4 Bloodsoaked Champion for slightly less efficiency in the combo half while maintaining good black 1 drops. Also moar humans why not
-Thoughtseize left for being boring and powerful, since a lot of my custom discard spells are more archetype agnostic than duress/despise/inquisition would be
-Swapped to Double Mutavault from Mutavault/Mishra's Factory. Block + Tap sucks for new players on factory, and accidental tribal synergy is the best synergy (Hey, changeling is also a downside!)
-I forgot how much I loved primal command

Custom Specific:
D8ZZ3rU.png

It's not straight voice of resurgence, but I kinda don't want it to be

XyOc7J4.png
d3Uu3ky.png
9Ohpt44.png
C4gOH1h.png

Let it be known that this was the patch where I gave up and just decided to put the swords of X and Y back in my cube but not because I hate protection :p
I think a decent move might be to move the "black" one to a discard trigger a la sword of feast and famine and let the "green" one be the raise dead one.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Nice cards, I wonder where the new equipment falls on the power scale. They seem pretty saucy.

Also, you should really use more colons on your cards. The only place they are not used is after keywords, if I recall correct, so every normal rules text should end with a colon :) Also, you're using "when" instead of "whenever" on some of your cards (some of the equipment at least). Rule of thumb is to use "when" if the effect occurs only once (like on enterig the battlefield) and "whenever" if the effect naturally can occur more than once (like on dealing combat damage). Sorry to be a nitpick ;)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Nice cards, I wonder where the new equipment falls on the power scale. They seem pretty saucy.

Also, you should really use more colons on your cards. The only place they are not used is after keywords, if I recall correct, so every normal rules text should end with a colon :) Also, you're using "when" instead of "whenever" on some of your cards (some of the equipment at least). Rule of thumb is to use "when" if the effect occurs only once (like on enterig the battlefield) and "whenever" if the effect naturally can occur more than once (like on dealing combat damage). Sorry to be a nitpick ;)

Nah man, this is good. I pride myself in that my customs look (for the most part) like real magic cards.
I also don't actually have that great a handle on my native tongue, so this is solid advice :p

The sort of swords have been...solid? the no evasion is real, and they don't tend to truly run away with the game, but so far I've only seen flicker and raise dead in action. Flicker was overpreforming, but my deck was almost mono skinrender, so I'd say that's an above average case.

nobody has equipped them at instant speed yet, though one person thought they had flash, and another thought south seas
kR0M8eR.png
Was a little more Dungeon Geists than frost titan, but I'm not sure if I can/need to do anything about those. People do kinda need to read the cards

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Mid Patch thoughts:
1s5aXRB.png

This card should probably cost BB, it's still a bit too strong at hosing aggro. Good lord when he was just a 2/1 undying for B1.
I know this card needs to exist, but it's looking like anything stronger than Butcher Ghoul is REALLY strong.

kR0M8eR.png

Another card that is proving difficult to maintain the origional purpose while still making it balanced :p
This card needs to be
-5 mana
-Blue
-Have 5 toughness, more than 3 power
-Be good in Pod

So I'm switching the dies trigger to "Put target creature on the bottom of it's owners library" from current.

a6TuLNm.png

This card is also a bit too good sadly. I really should have split up the prowess incentives onto different dudes rather than putting them all on this creature :p
I'll probably be splitting off the tap a creature trigger onto someone different, but I still need a U1 2/x prowess.
He'll probably have 1 toughness, but I wanted some feedback on the new trigger for this guy:

Do you like:
-When ever you play a noncreature spell, untap CARDNAME
or
-Whenever you play a noncreature spell, you may scry 1
the only problem I have with the second one (which I like better BTW) is that the text spills over slightly onto the P/T box, and adding spaces to the end of it makes the card look super weird :(

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Reminds me of this guy, who I like. Besides the obvious casting cost difference, you trade the permenant boost for a much easier trigger. Repeated scry adds up. I like the card. Its strong, but not so much I'd balk at using it if it was pushing the direction I wanted.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Cubetutor has been updated with my Magic Origins patch notes.

Nice upside of cubetutor champion: Being able to add in anything that you have an image of :p

I'll reflect the patch notes here, since no cards actually went in and out this time, (Just images changed) but I've got work in the morning :p

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Okay MTG origins patch now actually on cube tutor as opposed to scans are up on cube tutor:
Dragon Hunter > Kytheon, Hero of Akros
Archangel of Thune > Patron of the Valiant
Enclave Cryptologist > Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Reef Worm > Harbinger of the Tides
Snap > Thrummingbird
Fatestitcher > Conundrum Sphinx
Nezumi Bone-Reader > Shambling Ghoul
Mardu Skullhunter > Shambling Ghoul
Vampire Nighthawk > Graveblade Marauder
Sidisi, Undead Vizier > Priest of the Blood Rite
Imperial Edict > Reave Soul
Imperial Edict > Reave Soul
Humble Defector > Abbot of Keral Keep
Academy Raider > Abbot of Keral Keep
Prophetic Flamespeaker > Flameshadow Conjuring
Avalanche Riders > Pia and Kiran Nalaar
Faithless Looting > Magmatic Insight
Wolf-Skull Shaman > Heir of the Wilds
Thundering Wurm > Tuskguard Captain
Surrak, the Hunt Caller > Managorger Hydra
Mirri's Guile > Evolutionary Leap
Mirri's Guile > Evolutionary Leap
Sarkhan the Mad > Dreadbore
Edric, Spymaster of Trest > Selkie Trickster ({U}{G}{1} 0/1 ETB: Bounce a creature, {T} Add one mana of any color)

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
What's with Shambling Ghoul? I'm not seeing the appeal. Is three toughness so good that players want it with a downside and an otherwise black text box?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
They're not exactly the same, but wouldn't Thrill-Kill Assassin be better in most situations? A 2/3 deathtouch attacker would get past a lot of early defences, while a 1/2 deathtouch blocker would stall the ground pretty effectively.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Thrill kill can't ever switch between modes. It's either a mediocre attacker with counter synergy or a doom blade (It's not blocking twice).

I like ghoul because It can block sometimes and attack sometimes, something I think black creatures lack, and that every black 2 drop in existence sucks balls.
Don't read too much into the fact that I've added two, it's not necessarily the correct number for my environment, but to get more testing data.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, I get that... but the fact that, on the draw, Shambling Ghoul can't block until your opponent's turn four (!) makes it pretty mediocre at that job, in my eyes.