The Dandy Cube (Chris Taylor's Cube)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I've actually tried a downsideless savage punch, but the problem is that fight cards have the same problems that Auras do: you need a dude, and any removal becomes a counterspell. This is assuming you have a big enough creature :p

I love what they've been doing with fight cards (Unnatural Aggression notwithstanding), but they're clunky enough that I want something better. Basically all removal is conditional, but "This creature has 3 toughness or less" is way more broadly applicable than "You control a larger creature and your opponent can't remove that creature right now"

As for Police Brutality, again limiting them to attacking/blocking or tapped creatures is unfortunatly a huge cost. You know what doesn't attack or block? Llanowar Elves. Sun Titan doesn't Tap, let alone when you're trying to beat down and can't use these spells proactively.

Damage is a bit too universally useful to be kept in one color (Red). Police Brutality could easily read "Destroy target creature if it's toughness is 3 or less, otherwise detain it" and it'd play the same like 95% of the time. But isn't it's current wording so much cleaner?
Much like drawing cards, which was kept in the hands of blue for far too long, (The color of Magic in a game where we all cast magic) I'm trying to expand what colors are allowed to do what, so long as it feels right. And trust me, police brutality is not a card that needs nerfing :p

I've actually tried a downsideless savage punch, but the problem is that fight cards have the same problems that Auras do: you need a dude, and any removal becomes a counterspell. This is assuming you have a big enough creature :p

I love what they've been doing with fight cards (Unnatural Aggression notwithstanding), but they're clunky enough that I want something better. Basically all removal is conditional, but "This creature has 3 toughness or less" is way more broadly applicable than "You control a larger creature and your opponent can't remove that creature right now"

As for Police Brutality, again limiting them to attacking/blocking or tapped creatures is unfortunately a huge cost. You know what doesn't attack or block? Llanowar Elves. Sun Titan doesn't Tap, let alone when you're trying to beat down and can't use these spells proactively.

Damage is a bit too universally useful to be kept in one color (Red). Police Brutality could easily read "Destroy target creature if it's toughness is 3 or less, otherwise detain it" and it'd play the same like 95% of the time. But isn't it's current wording so much cleaner?
Much like drawing cards, which was kept in the hands of blue for far too long, (The color of Magic in a game where we all cast magic) I'm trying to expand what colors are allowed to do what, so long as it feels right. And trust me, police brutality is not a card that needs nerfing :p
Unfortunately, those are costs associated with the colors! Not every color is supposed to be as good at removing creatures the same way. With green, you are supposed to have bigger/more creatures, and to use your creatures to kill other creatures, fight just comes down to waiting for the right moment. Your fight card especially, you just have to learn to wait until they overstep a little then use it, and you have the flexibility to pick that right moment. Same timing as waiting for the wrong attack or block on their part to use burn to kill a bigger creature.

If removal = counterspell is an argument, no cube should ever run fiend hunter or banisher priest, and pump becomes worthless. Why even bother with enchants when removal is a counterspell? Aaaand in your cube I've noticed that you actually don't bother with enchants, at least afaik :p .

Again, your customs your cube your format. I'm not going to convince you, I guess I'm only bothering to use up time... :rolleyes: So, don't mean to pick on you, just think "design holes" are a little overstated sometimes.

Also, I know you've explained it above somewhere, but why no to enchant removal? Is it because it doesn't interact with snapcaster mage? Looking, you don't even have that card! I guess then Jace, VP and the two Benthic Seers?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Pump is worthless [/Exaggeration] :p Giant Growth has typically been on the edge in lower power environment obliquely trying to support it, with things like heroic or double strike, neither of which are archetypes in my cube. It's been a long struggle to get combat tricks to be worth playing, and I've opted to just go the other way. Pump has a very high setup cost compared to the average magic card, which makes it generally less powerful. You need a creature, they need to be blocking, their blocker needs to be a small enough, they can't have a removal spell or their own trick, or they need to be low enough that the lava spike giant growth turns into some of the time is worth a card, etc etc etc. That's a lot to ask compared to even cards like Oblivion Ring, which is basically the fairest of them all.

Banisher Priest is a little closer to man-o'-war. In the absolute worst case it does nothing, but usually things are a little better than that. You aren't always bouncing a creature with flash they have mana open to cast, and you aren't always fiend huntering a creature with an ETB trigger while they have mana available for a removal spell.

(I do have snapcaster mage, he's costed as a 3 drop in the spreadsheet/cubetutor, since nobody ever plays him as actual ambush viper) The instant vs Enchantment is a bit more of a reaching problem than it looks on the surface, I originally made the swaps because of young pyromancer! Then I realized white was playing much better with Snapcaster and Jace, Vryn's Prodigy, and then Eternal Witness and Greenwarden of Murasa came up, then grim lavamancer, then Tasigur and Murderous Cut...

And that's just right now. I'd been contemplating trying Delver of Secrets (As much as I loathe to admit it), and that'd make em worse too. The only thing that makes enchantments a better choice is devotion or constellation. (Or like, not having a better option :p) Neither of which I'm hugely on fire about.

Pump is worthless

And that's just right now. I'd been contemplating trying Delver of Secrets (As much as I loathe to admit it), and that'd make em worse too. The only thing that makes enchantments a better choice is devotion or constellation. (Or like, not having a better option :p) Neither of which I'm hugely on fire about.
Obviously you've made your choice. Your choice was to bend the color pie to fit what you wanted instants and sorceries to be doing in your environment. Here's what I would have started with if I thought those card types needed more help (I don't think they do honestly, but I won't even get into that).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If you're use customs, you might as well make some playable pump! :)

Boon of Nylea {G}
Instant (U)
Split second (As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't cast spells or activate abilities that aren't mana abilities.)
Target creature you control gets +2/+2 and gains hexproof until end of turn.

Growthmonger {1}{G}{G}
Creature - Elf Shaman (R)
Flash
When Growthmonger enters the battlefield, choose one:
  • Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
  • Draw a card.
2/2

Eternal Growth {2}{G}
Sorcery (R)
Split second (As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't cast spells or activate abilities that aren't mana abilities.)
Suspend 2—{G} (Rather than cast this card from your hand, pay {G} and exile it with two time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter. When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost.)
Put two +1/+1 counters on target creature you control. Exile Eternal Growth with two time counters on it.

Ok, so far I've gathered the following comments on Experiment Two:

> It apparently started as a 2/1 evolve only

Experiment two has been fine, but he could probably use an upside. A small one, something on the level of the regeneration that X1 has, but nothing as bonkers as trample or haste or whatever.

-Experiment Two (G1 2/1 Evolve) now has graft. Should be sweet :D

Experiment Two {1}{G}
Graft 2
Evolve
0/0
Honestly the cutesy name is just a mental shorthand for people to compare this card to experiment one. Graft and Evolve together has proven to be a strong combination, and sometimes it offers some hard sequencing decisions, but not too often. My drafters quickly understood you couldn't cheat the system by grafting off a counter then evolving off a 2/1 (It's a intervening trigger, so it checks both before and after and only fires if it's met both times)
I know the only way this creature is seeing the light of day is VIA Time Spiral 2: This time with even more rules complexity! but I desperately want it to. Y'all are missin out.

• From the above, experiment two, more complicated than intended. Still worth having, but there are slightly weird corner cases. Graft in an of itself is kinda weird.

What else have you got on it? :D

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So there's been a lot of talk lately about my old friend experiment two
uFuWsPf.jpg

And a few people have been asking about what the average case for this card is, as I spent most of the stream discussing the worst case of this seemly innocuous card. Sorry if this turns into a bit of a puff piece about the challenges of getting people to understand custom cards in general :p

So as per the stream, here's what I've mentioned so far:

Pros
  • Splashable (Har har har it's a 2 drop)
  • Helps +1/+1 counters decks, token decks if said tokens are big enough (Lingering Souls no, Garruk Relentless maybe, Garruk Wildspeaker yes!)
  • Best case is a bear with an additional glorious anthem at no extra cost, but the card is well balanced enough that drafters have never complained it's overpowered
  • Design is (At least on the surface) clean and elegant. This is the card I've received the most comments of "Feels like it could be a real card"
  • Contrary to Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit, this triggers on tokens, which lets it play better with the various Garruks and Call of the Herd type cards.
Cons
  1. If you play a 2/1 and Giant Growth it, it won't evolve. If you play a 2/1 with Spear of Heliod in play, it will.
  2. Reverent hunter evolves it like a 1/1 does, but cytoplast root-kin evolves it like a 4/4 does. (Don't even get me started on clones)
  3. Boon Satyr doesn't give a counter when you bestow it onto a creature (Most people get this, but it has been confused before. Don't ask me if you can negate him in that circumstance though.)
  4. Nylea, God of the Hunt gives a counter if your devotion to green is 7 when she enters the battlefield, but doesn't if your devotion to green is 2.
  5. Since it's printed power and toughness is 0/0, it takes some reading to glean the actual value of the card. (Again, usually not a huge issue, but since people can be opening up boosters with 8 customs in them or opening up sealed pools with dozens, I like to help people shortcut where I can.)
  6. No matter how you stack your triggers, a fresh Experiment One is not evolving when you play a 2/2. This is the biggest issue, and comes from the fact that evolve checks twice: first when another creature enters, long before anything goes on the stack (which is why point 1 works the way it does) and again once the trigger resolves. So even if you move a counter from Experiment Two to the creature that just came in, evolve already decided it wasn't doing anything.
  7. Green has a distinct lack of creatures with power or toughness greater than their CMC. While this can come down to individual card choices, look at your green section. Fauna Shaman, Scavenging Ooze, Nest Invader, Sakura Tribe Elder, Beastbreaker of Bala Ged, Eternal Witness, Reclamation Sage, Yavimaya Elder, Managorger Hydra, Acidic Slime, the list goes on. There are a few creatures which can help reliably evolve Experiment Two, but the most readily available ones are walls, like wall of blossoms or wall of roots, which typically don't fit into the game plan experiment two is suggesting. This generally leads our drafters to turning to other colors to get more consistent triggers (Since Gore-House Chainwalker works fine), but green is not generally a terrific splash color, especially since experiment two is an early creature.
So in terms of the severity of the (Now more daunting looking) cons, only 6 and 7 are real concrete issues, with 5 being something for me as a designer to keep an eye on. The amount of actual frustration seen at the hands of this card is basically 100% on point 7, which has been a longstanding problem for green for years now (Seriously, compare Brimaz, King of Oreskos to any green 3 drop. It's been like this for ages, just like when we were side by siding Hypnotic Specter to Uktabi Orangutan. You know, when the dinosaurs were young.)

It's a fine card, but it's mostly just that: fine. It's not powerful in the way Dark Confidant or Snapcaster mage is, it doesn't synergize with basically every theme imaginable like nest invader does, and it's a green card intended for an aggro deck, which turns a lot of people off from the get go (Seriously pick an MTGS threat at random where green aggro is even mentioned, and the results are basically universal: it's a trap. Granted that perspective is limited, but it's also common)

The reason I bring up all these side cases of rules interaction above is mostly because if you're including custom cards in your cube, you need to be the judge for ALL of those cards. Even though this card uses existing mechanics and any L1 worth their salt can probably answer the questions I've mentioned, YOU are going to be the first person asked, and it tends to lead to mistrust when you don't have the answer. And I know that sounds unfair, but it's definitely the reality unless you're cubing with people that already trust you.

• Your cube is going to be weird when people realize you aren't conforming to their conceptions of what cube is (For eg, copying the modo cube exactly, or copying Wtwlf's list, etc)
  • Your cube is going to be weird when people realize you break singleton (Though this is becoming less and less the case)
  • Your cube is going to be weird when people realize you've got custom cards in there, even if they're tiny differences from existing cards (Addle but {B} instead of {B}{1} for example)
  • and lastly, your cube is going to be weird when those custom cards aren't understood -in full- immediately. People love to categorize things, and magic players especially. Playable, not playable, removal spell, bomb, etc. If your card confuses people, unless they think that it's so broken they can't afford to pass it (Batterskull style), they're likely to just ignore it, take what they know, and feel off about the whole thing.
For the most part, the thing I dislike most about Experiment Two is that it tricks my players. Basically everyone sees that card and goes "Oh cool, I understand this" but then they play with it and uncover some of the corner cases, or have to make some unfortunately complicated sequencing decisions, and have to change their mind. People often change their mind about how they understand individual cards work, but they aren't usually so trusting to begin with, and that trust is normally with WotC, rather than me, which tends to carry a lot more weight, what with the usual year of testing that goes into sets and so forth :p

Experiment Two will probably be a net positive to your environment, but that comes with costs I don't want people ignoring. One of the other guys who runs a cube in my area runs a Modern Legal cube, and while I'm sure it plays fine, the most telling moment I've ever heard about it was that he scrambled to find something to swap in for splinter twin when that card got banned, since he was running a draft that night.

I'm firmly of the belief that Twin shouldn't be anywhere near a limited environment in that capacity (Anything that punishes a player that hard for not keeping up specifically instant speed removal is way too far in my opinion), but don't cut that card because WotC wanted to make the pro tour interesting, cut it because you think it's the right thing to make your cube more fun.

That cube has 12 people sign up to draft it, and regularly fires more than once a week. My cube does not :p

Customs come with a cost, and if experiment two was the only custom card in my list, I don't think it would be worth it.

Thanks for the write up, that is a lot of useful information. In the cast you said you usually play with a couple of judges. What about your other players, do they tend to have a good grasp of the rules or are they starting in the last year or so?

Still, I believe that the fact that you know the caveats of the card makes it even more appealing for me to try than the other alternatives, especialy if it would had some more beef to it. Maybe even trying it as a -1/0 or 0/-1 for G could give some interesting result. At the very least would help with issue 5 and would make players ask themselves what is going on and read the card to understand it better. Would also solve 2/2s not evolving it, or at least some of the perception. Only 2 real evolve cards have squared P/T, and this maybe is one of the reasons why (but we would never know because we don't have access to Wizard's playtest files and only see the cards that survived the cut).

As you pointed, the biggest issue is still 7, but there are plenty of things just above the 2 curve that makes it interesting. From my list, I can see Yasova Dragonclaw, Nyx Weaver, Bounding Krasis, Trygon Predator, Kitchen Finks, Knight of the Reliquary, Call of the Herd (if I still have it there), Bloodbraid Elf (evolves even when cascaded) and almost all 4+ CMC green creatures. For 2 mana and less, I have: Undying Strangleroot Geist, Tarmogoyf (sometimes), Sylvan Advocate (not in my list yet), Flinthoof Boar and Kird Ape, Loam Lion, and Wild Nacatl. I agree that Green aggro sucks, and the creatures are not that great, but at least here Green is a great support color for aggro: RG, GW, and Naya Zoo are common aggro archetypes, UG tempo is harder but just as interesting to play, and BG and Jund midrange are quite powerful usually. Maybe I would value it higher in my cube than you would in yours, but for sure Experiment Two would be better in my list as a 0/-1.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
My players tend to either a) Be playing literally their first games of magic with this cube or B) Have played for 10 years and help me design these cards :p

The only problem with it being a 2/1 or a 1/2 is that if it's a 1/2 it's not really a threat anymore, and it's much harder on the anthem angle, and if it's a 2/1 it can't graft off without dying. I'm willing to give it a shot though, maybe it plays better.

Sylvan Advocate, Yasova and Goyf have all been godsends, but they're still in the minority, and a lot of the customs I've included have been steps towards alleviating that problem:

90HEWay.jpg
et6dz5b.jpg
zue9Xvm.jpg
zue9Xvm.jpg
kOFcAHN.jpg
CsAA6rS.jpg

You talk about how fighting becomes a 2-1 often. How about giving a fight card spilt second? The same can be done for aura's with totem aura as well as pump spells.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You talk about how fighting becomes a 2-1 often. How about giving a fight card spilt second? The same can be done for aura's with totem aura as well as pump spells.

It's an option, but a rather heavy handed one, and one that doesn't solve the largest issue with these cards: They only work when you're winning, or even. They don't help you come back.

even with split second, you need a creature in play, and with fight cards you need a large enough creature (Though cards like epic confrontation can reduce the size of the creature you need).

They do nothing when:
-You draw poorly and don't have a creature
-You haven't had time off to cast one yet (No fight card is ever killing mother of runes, for eg. You'd need it to cost 1 AND you'd need a memnite, and while that's an extreme example, but similar situations crop up A LOT)
-Your opponent has been removing your cards thusfar

Now none of those on their own is enough to stop me from including a fight card or pump spell or aura, but they're deffinitly the kind of card that I'm not going to jam my green section full of, since then green has this huge "I'd better be winning" feel to it.
All that together, fight cards are not a great baseline for a green removal spell, so I've been looking into alternatives

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, without exception, every single fight card I've tried in cube has been a disappointment. It's not even the aura problem of being blown out in response, so much as requiring a very specific board presence to set up a situation where you can even cast the fight spell. In a way, they're sometimes even more narrow than combat tricks.

I guess there's a reason fight cards are so rarely played in constructed, even when they tend to be limited all-stars.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Part of that conception is that cubes tend to pack a lot more removal than the average limited format, and (usually) that removal is a lot more widely applicable.
This contributes both to A) not needing a fight card since there's better options available, unless you're mono green, and B) there generally being less creatures on the battlefield.

Like just pull up a draft video of battle for zendikar or oath or whatever and look at the gamestate on turn 5. How many creatures are in play? If that number is really low, did a big trade just happen?

Let's be generous and say that there's usually 5-6 creatures in play around that point, usually evenly distributed between players but not always.

In cube? Turn 5 someone could be wrathing or have just wrathed, a common turn 3 play is arc lightning, which regularly kills the opposing 1 and 2 drop, there's Skinrenders a plenty, counterspells are on hand to limit the snowballing of ETB triggers (20 doom blades vs 20 Attended Knights does end in the favor of the knights, despite doom blade being a FAR better card), and there's a few decks that would just rather not play creatures in large quantities in the first place, weather you're ramping with coldsteel heart, farseek, or just casting wrath of god and cleaning up with some large flier

There's just a lot of factors that contribute to anything requiring a creature to already be in play to be a lot worse. This is usually to the benifit of all, since more widely available removal tends to leave drafters with more options. They don't just lose when their opponent plays something giant like Frost Titan, they can kill it and hopefully still close things out. If their opponent plays a really strong and fragile creature, they don't have to decide between losing now and losing to frost titan later.

Available removal also tends to aid the cube mantra of "No Unplayables" that is a nice escape from retail limited for most people. When you get to pick 13 of your cube draft, sure the cards might be narrower like Goblin Bombardment or maybe just a bit weaker than other options at that slot like volcanic hammer, but most of those cards are miles ahead of dross like Dazzling Reflection and Untamed Hunger. If you want people opening a pack and seeing 15 cards that have definitely all been in maindecks (Even if some are more likely than others), then sure a lot of them are going to be creatures, and a lot of them are going to be removal, and everything else you kind of have to rein in. A deck with 7 combat tricks just isn't a good deck, mostly independent of what else is going on, and so you can't just jam your cube full of combat tricks because people will play limited amounts of them in the first place.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I think I'm at the point where good ol' Giant Growth is better than a fight card in cube, to me. At least Giant Growth can go to the dome when you need it to, as well as winning creature battles for you.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Today on Chris imitates infrequent WotC columns: Okra/Twinkie/Tofu - Cube Edition!
Orzhov Psychopomp.jpg
A Psychopomp is a spirit which guides souls into the afterlife. Don't let anyone tell you magic never taught you anything kids!

This card is mostly an exercise in making my drafters squirm, and to help a complaint about the state of nonblack style removal. Most of the actual doom blade variants I run are fine (Ultimate Price, Go for the Throat, Hero's Downfall), but the 187 creatures are usually older, and thus less creative with the condition of the removal (Shriekmaw, Nekrataal, and of course, Bone Shredder).
Skinrender is a welcome trendsetter :p
Constant Progress.jpg
This used to be {2}{U} and have rebound instead of flashback, and yes, a double anthem + divination that also triggers prowess was too good.

Experiment Two.jpg
The prodigal son gets changed :p Hopefully this should solve some of the memory issues. He's also a 2/1, which is easier to evolve but more fragile.
Hopefully he's still good.

Protect and Serve.jpg
This also had it's name changed (From Police Brutality)

There's also a few more additions I've got less comments on below. Full album of all the customs in my cube is in my sig, as always.

Brute of Pyros.jpgCorrupt Vassal.jpgHeart of the Wild.jpgIntuit.jpgLlanowar Cacherunners.jpg Spellbreaker Howler.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Actual Patch Notes:
Patch Notes 03-14-16.png

A lot of cards that have been in here forever have left. Jace Beleran, Scavenging Ooze, Baneslayer Angel, Garruk Relentless, Vampire Nighthawk, Puppeteer Clique, etc.

Scavenging Ooze has proven too strong, and frequently outperforms creatures multiple times his mana cost. Baneslayer made way for something else powerful but now with a synergy reason to be in as well, Jace got replaced with a generic draw spell because he's so boring the oneshot draw is actually more interesting, and I've actually been able to cut vampire nighthawk because of some of the custom creatures I've included in black offering the lifelink that used to be unique to him.

Like seeing that Experiment Two has some new polish :). I'd put Evolve at the end, but eh. Thresher weird is a color pie break, but only if you follow mean ol' WotC, so what do I know. On the other hand, it's a perfect example of why keywords are awesome. Without "Menace" as a word, it'd have to read "As long as Thresher Weird's power is 4 or greater, it can't be blocked except by two or more creatures." An extra 7 words I no longer have to read :p.

I'm excited to see how Gilt-Leaf Winnower plays. I think it might be a little underrated, honestly.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Like seeing that Experiment Two has some new polish :). I'd put Evolve at the end, but eh. Thresher weird is a color pie break, but only if you follow mean ol' WotC, so what do I know. On the other hand, it's a perfect example of why keywords are awesome. Without "Menace" as a word, it'd have to read "As long as Thresher Weird's power is 4 or greater, it can't be blocked except by two or more creatures." An extra 7 words I no longer have to read :p.

I'm excited to see how Gilt-Leaf Winnower plays. I think it might be a little underrated, honestly.

Har har har :p

I've had winnower in and out. It's a strong attacker that sometimes kills a creature (instead of larger shriekmaw), but my black 5s were almost all attacking only before this (Ink eyes and Puppeteer Clique) so I tried to put in something a control deck might actually want.

Thresher is kind of a color pie break since most of the straight growing creatures are green (Quarion Dryad, Managorger Hydra, Vinelasher Kudzu), but we have seen a few blue ones before (Chasm Skulker, Lorescale Coatl, and a few things like Cognivore). I don't think he looks that odd, especially alongside all the prowess creatures.

Har har har :p

I've had winnower in and out. It's a strong attacker that sometimes kills a creature (instead of larger shriekmaw), but my black 5s were almost all attacking only before this (Ink eyes and Puppeteer Clique) so I tried to put in something a control deck might actually want.

Thresher is kind of a color pie break since most of the straight growing creatures are green (Quarion Dryad, Managorger Hydra, Vinelasher Kudzu), but we have seen a few blue ones before (Chasm Skulker, Lorescale Coatl, and a few things like Cognivore). I don't think he looks that odd, especially alongside all the prowess creatures.
Menace is the break. Only Red, Green and Black get that.

Oh! Eh, it's evasion. I thought trample would be a bit much :p

Also Ha :p

Super Menace :p
The only blue card in all of mtg like that. Probably only allowed because the card is actually called "Guile". Like, white Akroma has haste, but that doesn't make Haste in white's color pie.

is the in-color implementation of this. I guess I'm stuck on even giving evasion to this creature that can quickly turn into The Abyss, and trample is actually in Blue's color pie as tertiary if needed, and isn't much more powerful if at all.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Menace is one of the worse kinds of evasion. Trample is really good, especially on a creature that big (Well, since it's conditional on him being big)

But hey, I'm okay with it being a little weird. For all I know I'll need to nerf it tomorrow :p

Interested to see how you like Timeweaver/Fate Sealer. I think its really cool and pretty powerful, but fateseal is strange.
Loving Heart of the Wild

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Man I should probably start posting about these new patches instead of just swapping out cards 10 minutes before I head off to draft this thing eh? :p

SOI Cards I had in for a single draft and then removed because the writing was on the wall:

Machinations in particular was hot garbage, if anyone was trying that card at all :p
What do you mean the noncreature/doesn't apply pressure/doesn't smooth my draws/saves my creature from the last common form of removal/and even then they can just not block/needs to be in multicolor to push it above middling value card didn't work? It had so much going for it...
I dunno, better or worse than Marshaling Cry? You be the judge of "Worst white card to ever grace my cube"

I'm finally coming around on the titan debate:
I've removed a lot of cards for being too strong lately. Treasure Cruise #2, The Confluences, A few above curve custom cards I had that randomly had evasion tacked on, another custom card I thought was worse than arc lightning (but in reality is much better), Control Magic, Archangel Avacyn, Scavenging Ooze (Why don't I ever learn my lesson with this guy?), Jace, Vryn's Prodigy (Jesus this card is neigh unkillable), Curse of Predation
You get the idea. Anyways, I'd largely been ignoring the higher cost things since I feel like if you can survive long enough to cast something like Avenger of Zendikar, you deserve the win, especially since a spare hero's downfall from your opponent could mean you end up losing anyways. However, the sheer power level of grave and inferno titan even when answered can't be ignored any longer, and a single swing with them basically puts any game out of reach. (This is likely a side effect of combo not being present in my environment, but I'll let people lose 90% of a game and then kill me through instant speed removal over my cold dead body).
Until then, I'm subbing in Soul of Shandalar and Overseer of the Damned in their place, though I'm probably aiming too low. 7s always tend to be a problem because of how poorly they play with pod anyways.

I really need to tattoo Occam's Razor on the back of my hand so I remember it
I'm generally trying to reduce the number of Custom Cards in this cube (I've gone from 105 to 90 to 83 over the last few patches), since the burden on my drafters is starting to mount, and it's starting to show it's "wouldn't this be cool" nature. Not everything needs small tweaks, and sometimes you have to actually make room for the cards decks actually want rather than sweet little 2 drop design experiments in marginal value (I'm looking at you black, with your like 5 total zombies). As well, generally I've found that I'm getting worse and worse at judging the power level of my designs the more custom cards are in my cube, so keeping that number low tends to end up with me printing more reasonable things.
Some cards I stand by the Change:
vkJsT4o.jpg

eBD6a7A.jpg

z4oYPht.jpg

However sometimes it's better to exercise restraint, either because the difference is so slight or because the original is closer to appropriate power level than I first anticipated. So in that Light:
34PADOe.jpg
-->
Xv1LpWC.jpg
-->
WJwheI5.jpg
-->
UW3CFsg.jpg
-->

A few new faces
That being said, clearly nothing is going to stop me trying out silly new ideas. Here's some newcomers:
38 - Rotten Guardsman.jpg39 - Thoughtfeaster Ghoul.jpg40 - Undead Vanguard.jpg51 - Ancient Power.jpg70 - Eater of Moments.jpg
Thoughtfeaster was actually in already, but I've reskinned him to this so that he shows his creature type better (Old version looked like a spirit)