The Dandy Cube (Chris Taylor's Cube)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The traditional way that you would run UG at about your power level would be to use mana dorks (which you already have) to makeup the horizontal foundation of your board state. Than you are using them to ramp up into your payoff cards, and green is supposed to be making them relevant in a late board state environment, via things like overruns, wolfir, green gearhulk, edric, or garruk wildspeaker. Using tokens with ophidian payoff cards is more of a UW approach, though you could certainly cross it with green army in a can dudes or in UR.

The big advantage of blue is that you get soft counters to protect that board state, as well as being able to ramp into some of the bigger hard counters. Cryptic command being a big one, since you can also use it to alpha strike through.

I don't think that your UG tools are necessarily bad, I think its more that there is no loud signaling to drafters. In the old power cubes, something like opposition really makes it clear that you should be running UG or UW, as those were the color pairs you were most likely to be able to pick up an expansive board state with. Thats why I was suggesting edric, because it pretty clearly communicates that. Its kind of a counter-intuitive deck for some players, as I find, as the focus on soft interaction over hard interaction leaves them feeling uncomfortable, and the signals have to be very strong.

I forgot that the X spells in red are also good payoff cards for ramping, especially the sweepers, while library manipulation from the green cards helps that deck out a lot.

One thing for black that I noticed is that there is hardly any card draw, and one of the big issues with the B/W deck is that its light on library manipulation (compared with blue), and sometimes auto-losses to itself. Even if you're running a more assertive B/W deck, that tokens strategy tends to be clunky, and it plays more like a grindy aggressive midrange deck than a traditional aggro deck. It has time--and wants--some form of cheap card draw.

You probably want to add a copy of night's whisper, maybe phyrexian arena/underworld connections. The really light life pay also tends to signal a B/W junction, that can be tightened up with some of the incidental life gain cards in white.

I also think that promise of bunrei is an important card to look at as mechanically it fits very well in a B/W shell. Bitterblossom is another good card to look at, especially if you have a fair amount of incidental life gain localized in white. Both of those cards have also seen play in B/W decks in constructed formats, so there is strong subconscious signaling for your drafters to respond too.

Vamp tutor puts you down a card, the recruiters are bodies that cantrip via tutoring. Even if you have garbage pulls with them, mathematically the cards are just very strong. Once you put in some strong utility targets for them to grab, they really open things up, as they provide library manipulation to colors and archetypes that normally have to play TOL, hoping for the best.

The big issue with G/W (and why its so underdrafted) is that it has no real way to smooth out draws. You can come up with dozens of decks for it that look perfectly reasonable on paper (Pitches to force!) but no one plays them in practice because you pretty much auto-lose in ways no other color combination has to when the variance gods strike. Functionally, it has to overcome this problem or its garbage. The absolute only thing keeping the color pair together are its creature-centric library manipulation options. Cards like chord of calling, birthing pod, eldric evo and so forth.

The problem with the triple pod approach is that:

1. If players don't understand/aren't in the mood for/get pod in the wrong pack, your G/W decks fall apart.
2. If another G/x combination is the better pod deck, your G/W decks fall apart.
3. Outside of voice/finks, pod actually signals G/W quite badly. A card like chord of calling does a much better job at this, because G/W tends to build expansive (value based) board states. Chord is just a much easier card to support in a draft environment.

I won't hide my bias--I really dislike pod in cube, but even if we must keep three copies, I think we need to realize that its not really communicating G/W effectively for some reason, and make the appropriate adjustments. Maybe tighten up your creature-centric library manipulation options for those decks in a way that it more clearly communicates G/W. I would probably look at the aforementioned chord of calling (which is also great in UG).

One thing you could experiment with is running cards like woodland bellower and recruiter of the guard, alongside utility targets and white flicker effects. This lets them build a board state out of nothing, they can chain spell creatures, and gives them considerable library manipulation, all while applying pressure. Those cards also work very well with knight of the reliquary, which I find tends to be a G/W pick people tend to get excited about, and has good synergy with green cards like avenger of zendikar, or rampaging baloths.

I am like all stream of conscious in these posts.

If you green is too "fair", maybe a combo is in order

And looking at the list your multiples... some are ridiculous compared to green! So I understand why it feels "fair". Two demonic tutors and damnations? Four brainstorms, and a variety of other care quality and advantage effects. Green's multiples, as noted, seem to all be ramp. Why not double tarmogoyf? Double Sylvan Advocate? And maybe a custom recursion creature, a turbochared mono-baloth null or such. Green's cards are worth a card, just not when all the other colors are literally stacked against it

Seven recursive black 1 drops.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Just a quick update before I get some much needed sleep:

Changes are coming together, and after a nice discussion with a mate of mine over a few drinks, I think I've got a better handle on that elusive "green brainstorm" I'd been experimenting with above.
pioneer-jpg.1293
skyline-ranger-jpg.1294
intuit-jpg.1292
--> Tracking.jpg
The issue with cards I'd been trying like Intuit, Pioneer and Skyline Ranger is they're trying too hard to feel green at the cost of good gameplay. My friend (A longtime hearthstone player, and general fan of the small genre it's inspired like Deulist, Eternal and others) remarked that while intuit was cool, it seemed like a really complicated way to say what tracking does, given the odds of hitting a (non)land card in the top 3. Tracking (Ported almost verbatim from the hunter card in hearthstone) is both much simpler, accomplishes it's goals better, and leaves more of the agency in the player's hands, which I like. As well, being card type agnostic has it avoiding the problem poineer had, where often the cards you were looking for were the wrong type, like a planeswalker to add pressure to the board around a wrath, or a instant if there was a creature that needed removing.

Not that tracking doesn't feel green, but I think grisly salvage and seek the wilds have the restrictions they do because of the design fear caused by the over the top power level of cards like ponder and preordain in eternal formats. Where WotC has chosen to fear the consistency caused by these cards, I've chosen to embrace it, and I think if blue hadn't historically been the color of good magic cards, we might have been likely to have a cadre of cards like tracking printed in all colors, rather than the current state of things where if you want to play a good deck in a non-rotating format, you either need to be playing blue to draw your cards well or have some over the top powerful reason not to be doing that.

I will note that wotc's approach is likely the correct answer for a constructed format to avoid things like the laser tuned consistency of decks like caw blade, whereas mine is probably better suited to limited.

Now I've got a white brainstorm, a red brainstorm, a green brainstorm, and...brainstorm, but I haven't quite pinned down what I want to do for black yet.
Ancient Mantra.jpg
7AKxVHA.png
Tracking.jpg Respectively
A close analogue exists in the cheap discard spells like duress and thoughtseize with the idea of making your opponent's draw worse rather than making yours better, but it can't really be relied on, and sometimes you still lose to your own bad luck even after casting 3 of them back to back, which doesn't really happen with the other cards I've included (Unless you're extremely unlucky)

Now the only card draw black has ever had at 1 mana is cantrip style effects, which serve a different purpose. Black has had a few cheap draw spells, but as with powerful black creatures black draw tends to be monolithic in it's choice of downside:

We've had a few different ones recently in the vein of Altar's Reap/Morbid Curiosity style cards, but the cost of sacrificing a creature is awkward on cheap sorceries like we're looking to include. One card I've looked to as an alternate is Corpse Churn, or more truthfully Grapple with the Past:
Chilling Insight.jpg
I know I just went on a long journey trying to find a green brainstorm effect that I like, but I find it a bit of a shame that black has such an obviously worse copy of the same card (Even in the same standard environment!)
Black is also a little more likely than green to get value out of milling itself, since there are many MANY recursive beaters in my list, but in green there's mostly just vengevine.

Last among my epiphanies was the desire to stop fucking about with sylvan library, inspired by my contrasting of merfolk looter to looter il-kor:

Natural Attunement.jpg
And I can tell you this card plays miles better than either mirri's guile or sylvan library because I've played with it before, in green, really recently in Lifecrafter's Bestiary (AKA the pokedex).

There's a few smaller things like my shifting of rakdos cackler to better fit in with the colors I have the +1/+1 counter theme located in, and the removal of several mostly unnecessary colorless cards, but I've got less in general to ramble on there, so I'll keep it short.
--> Greenbelt Rager.jpg

Specifically I did want to say grillo that I've taken onboard your ideas for the UG ophidian archetype, and that pod doesn't have much of a place in my environment anymore. It was unpopular with drafters, complicated to play, dragged games out and occasionally punished people for not knowing their list card by card exactly. While there are workarounds or excuses for each of these points, I think I've decided that (At least for now) it's no longer worth the effort.

However, it leaving illustrates the best thing about the card: while I'm technically removing an entire archetype from my cube, the three copies of birthing pod are the only cards that is leaving for that reason, as I no cards were ever really added specifically with their pod viability in mind. Were I removing prowess by contrast, a lot of the cheaper instants (especially those with rebound) might find themselves leaving as well, their value no longer inflated by young pyromancer, for example.

And lastly, one more cool card I can't wait to try out:
Mycogenesis.jpg

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
That looks great, really like the sylvan library redux--sylvan is a great card, but really difficult to understand. A couple random thoughts:

1. A wildcard to my analysis is all of the 1-2 mana custom aggressive creatures running around in blue. In theory (especially the 1 mana monstrosity custom--wow thats pushed) should be able to fold nicely into a UG tempo deck, but maybe your other U/x aggro decks are so appealing that they just sink anyones desire to go into a soft interaction color combination.

2. The list is so aggressive, that a turn 2 night's whisper is probably actively game losing a high percentage of the time--though this is rarely obvious to drafters. I suspect that turn 2 is very important, and those plays should impact the board much of the time.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The biggest point I'd like to belabor about the new sylvan is that Sylvan Library isn't just difficult to understand, it's also difficult even if you do know how it works. Like even if somehow you know exactly what you want to be doing and where each card should go (which is next to impossible) it takes a long time to go through the motions.
This is likely a comparable increase in overall card quality and much simpler.

1. The blue 1 drops shouldn't be a huge issue, since I'm down to just 2 copies of the monstrous guy. There's still a cadre of 2 drops, but it has been a longtime bugbear of mine that blue's 2s are often just worse than other colors, and I don't think that's a problem that I've fully solved with my customs.

2. I had this suspicion as well, which is why I went with a Grapple with the Past expy instead. Maybe there's room here for some kind of magma jet like card?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Patch is now live on cubetutor, notes follow below, customs in bold

Isamaru, Hound of Konda > Champion of the Parish
Loyal Cathar > Champion of the Parish
Soltari Trooper > Topan Freeblade
Sanctified Cavalier > Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
Displacer Mage > Thalia's Lieutenant
Small Gods > Juvenile Gryphon
Soltari Champion > Mikaeus, the Lunarch
Tithe > Abzan Falconer
Emeria Angel > High Sentinels of Arashin
Council's Judgment > Overwhelming Guilt
Faith's Fetters > Collective Effort
Return to the Ranks > Ajani Goldmane

Boreal Druid > Looter il-Kor
Silumgar Adept > Whirler Rogue
Silumgar Sorcerer > Memory Lapse
Drownyard Behemoth > Bident of Thassa
Thawing Cache > Treasure Cruise

Vengeful Rebel > Necroskitter
Dauthi Horror > Chilling Insight
Unearth > Chilling Insight

Goblin Bushwhacker > Greenbelt Rager
Kiln Fiend > War-Name Aspirant
Aether Chaser > Gore-House Chainwalker
Bedlam Reveler > Thriving Grubs
Burst Lightning > Bogardan Hellkite
Howl of Battle > Brute Force
Flame Slash > Volt Charge
Blinding Flare > Volt Charge
Hellspark Elemental > Wildfire

Veteran Explorer > Greenbelt Rager
Skyline Ranger > Experiment One
Nest Invader > Experiment One
Haunted Creeper > Scavenging Ooze
Fauna Shaman > Kujar Seedsculptor
Nissa, Vastwood Seer > Experiment Two
Reclamation Sage > Greenbelt Rampager
King of the Jungle > Maulfist Revolutionary
Carnivorous Snapper > Tuskguard Captain
Acidic Slime > Armorcraft Judge
Birthing Pod > Chord of Calling
Birthing Pod > Deranged Hermit
Birthing Pod > Snake Cult Oracle
Vines of Vastwood > Harmony Charm
Pioneer > Natural Attunement
Mirri's Guile > Natural Attunement
Farseek > Tracking
Farseek > Tracking
Survival of the Fittest > Tracking
Grapple with the Past > Mycogenesis

Spellskite > Walking Ballista
Phyrexian Revoker > Untethered Express
-Perilous Myr
-Phyrexian Metamorph
-Treasure Keeper
-Elixir of Immortality
-Darksteel Ingot
-Brass Cave
-Tectonic Edge
-Ancient Observatory

-Sygg, River Cutthroat
Marauder Geist > Falkenrath Aristocrat
-Murderous Redcap
Yasova Dragonclaw > Ghor-Clan Rampager
+Shaman of the Great Hunt
+Herald of Autumn
+Knight of the Reliquary
Hidden Stockpile > Lingering Souls
Lashweed Lurker > Trygon Predator
Pulse of the Gladeheart > Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Copycat > Ral Zarek

(Turns out you can't permalink to cubetutor blog posts)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Not a lot of changes going on, just adding multicolor cards I'd been shaving so that I can draft with 10 people again, but my latest crusade is revisiting the artwork on my customs and seeing if I can do better.
Not every card has a storied history in my cube, but here's a few I've swapped out recently and their new versions:

p809nGx.jpg
--> Benthic Seer.jpg
fPhGG17.jpg
--> Archive.jpg
hrW3bwE.jpg
--> Bumbling Familiars.jpg
y9aSQDl.jpg
-->Show of Strength.jpg
aOI6XV5.png
-->Brimstone Colossus.jpgOr possibly Brimstone Colossus Alt.jpg
I'd love your opinion on that last one by the way. I'm a huge fan of the oni inspired art in the middle, but one of my drafters really misses it looking like a fire elemental, and I think the art on the right fits that nicely.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So the next evolution percolating in the back of my mind is trying to add a sort of delirium/self mill type thing, likely centered in {U}{G}{B}.

Delve is a nice reward for dumping things in your graveyard, but it can be annoying having to juggle the important contents of your graveyard while still being able to cast your delve spells.
Casting Treasure Cruise with a Grim Flayer or Werebear in play is probably a puzzle that's more annoying than fun for my drafters, and (As we noticed in Khans draft) having too many delve spells in your deck can be annoying to juggle as well.

So maybe this is a good idea and maybe it's not, but I've experimented with giving delve spells affinity for cards in your graveyard:
Gorgons Prey.jpgRuminate.jpgTimegazing.jpg
They all cost {1} more, and on average they're preforming the same way they were before without the added headache.

I am leaving tasigur with regular old delve though, since that lets you control his activated ability a bit.

The one issue I forsee coming up is that in extreme cases, delving actually did become a proper cost. Typically the first cast of treasure cruise cost 1 as mostly a freebie, but if you regrew it or snapcaster'd it you might be paying 5-6 for it unless it was super late game, and this doesn't have that problem.
Like assuming your graveyard is decently stocked, You can Ruminate for {U}, draw 3, cast the Eternal Witness you drew, then immediatly Runinate again for {U}, which might be too much.

I don't think I want these to exile themselves when they resolve, or cost even more initially (Though that might be necessary for completely different reasons) but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Lastly, something related that seems like a non-sequiter:

I like the idea of this card. With the amount of incidental lifegain on various cards I find myself finally wresting control of the game, but faced with killing my aggro opponent who's at 38 with about 5 cards in my library.
So I can tune down the lifegain in general, but since a lot of these cards are good for both that will make the control decks worse as well.
I can make control's win conditions be able to take down someone who's at 38 (Like shifting from say Torrential Gearhulk to Inkwell Leviathan), but there's plenty of games where I really need to cast something fat on turn 6, which this wouldn't really allow for.
I could push players to have less combat damage reliant ways to win (like mill), but then you've got the weird poison issue where half your cards are trying to win one way and half aren't, since cards like Blade Splicer are fine in control as well.

Elixir seems like a nice enough way to solve this, but once I introduced it, that draft 6/8 people at the table instantly called me an idiot for adding it, and while it did see play, the player who did added it as the 41st card to his mono green ramp deck -_-

not exactly an illustrious start. The issue seems to be that it's either miserable to play against (You on aggro), useless to you (You on midrange), or so bad it won't even make your deck (Literally everyone but a hardline control deck), with no in between.

In that light:
Refine the Mind.jpg
Maybe this goes about it in a better way. Repeatable deck sculpting like that sift idea grillo had is probably a more paletable spell than lifegain, and I've ran 2 mana instant draw 2 discard one before, and it's a decent card.

Hopefully this accomplishes what I want it to.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So as not to distract in the custom thread from the excellent discussion there, how do you guys feel about this idea?

U1
2/1

Whenecer CARDNAME deals combat damage to a player, draw a card
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, CARDNAME gains flying until eot
Delirium: CARDNAME is unblockable

The concept is the core here, and I think a deck build around either Delirium or prowess should be able to care about the other, even if it might not happen as much.

Obviously 2 mana ophidian hasn't really been done before, so he's likely too powerful, but I'm wondering where to take it. Maybe he makes clues instead? It could scry, but that seems really fidgity.

I'm really trying to keep the 2 CMC and 2 power. If it has to have another combat damage trigger, I'll live

Man that is a lot of things to track and a lot of abilities. I think it needs to at least be two colours. Maybe UG or UB for a 2/1.
Clues seem like good balance. A 2 drop that punishes you harder than Topan Freeblade seems kinda sketchy. Or maybe make it a 1/2 or 1/1, so it relies on synergy to connect.

Edit: sign me up for the oni artwork on colossus. It's just more evocative.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I really want it to stay blue because the only overlap between UWR and UBG is mono U, so if I make it multicolored it'll slant towards one of those shards.

I'm gonna try it making a clue for now, if it needs to go down to 1 power I'll be sad, but I'll manage. Maybe 1 power + Prowess if that ends up being too much

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Why not make it a looter, that way it'll enable its own delirium? And I don't think it even needs the second line of text. It's pretty distracting and the ability is (mosty) irrelevant after you hit delirium.

Whenever CARDNAME deals combat damage to a player, draw a card, then discard a card.
Delirium -- CARDNAME can't be blocked.
2/1

Edit: Also, are you aware that Refine the Mind doesn't allow you to shuffle back the card you discarded with it because you have to announce targets when you cast the spell, at which point you haven't drawn two, then discarded one yet? This might confuse players. Maybe leave off the word "target" from that second ability.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Why not make it a looter, that way it'll enable its own delirium? And I don't think it even needs the second line of text. It's pretty distracting and the ability is (mosty) irrelevant after you hit delirium.

Whenever CARDNAME deals combat damage to a player, draw a card, then discard a card.
Delirium -- CARDNAME can't be blocked.
2/1

Edit: Also, are you aware that Refine the Mind doesn't allow you to shuffle back the card you discarded with it because you have to announce targets when you cast the spell, at which point you haven't drawn two, then discarded one yet? This might confuse players. Maybe leave off the word "target" from that second ability.

I was not! I also thought it didn't target, must have copy pasted it from something and not thought too much about it.

The prowess line of text is really important here, Delirium is incredibly hard to achieve, and a relatively easy stopgap measure goes a long way into making the card work as a whole, and planting this as an overlap card between the two strategies.
Losing that, now it's just a regular sabateour without any evasion at all, except really late in the game, the same feast/famine problem present in most delirium cards.

That being said, looting is certainly an option. It's certainly something both decks like.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I was not! I also thought it didn't target, must have copy pasted it from something and not thought too much about it.

The prowess line of text is really important here, Delirium is incredibly hard to achieve, and a relatively easy stopgap measure goes a long way into making the card work as a whole, and planting this as an overlap card between the two strategies.
Losing that, now it's just a regular sabateour without any evasion at all, except really late in the game, the same feast/famine problem present in most delirium cards.

That being said, looting is certainly an option. It's certainly something both decks like.

Ok, I thought on the card some more, trying to find something elegant that wouldn't cross the magical nine lines boundary. Are you ready for something broken?

Aetherhaunt Steed.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

If you're going to try it out, let me know how it plays, will you. Delirium is the Abzan theme in my cube, so I can't run it myself :)

Hmm... I might try a black variant that lets everybody discard a card when it hits the opponent instead of looting. Of course it'ld also have to gain evasion in some other kind of way as the prowess trigger isn't on theme for black.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Okay, so work has come in the way of me really sinking in the hours here that I want to be, but I thought I'd give a recap of the format's goals here.

I'm nearing the home stretch of having synergy type decks in each color pair. My pie in the sky goal was to get 5 different shards with a localized identity, and have all the 2 color combinations of that shard be possible sub decks in that identity.
So for example: If you have {G}{W}{R} +1/+1 counters, the goal was to have {G}{W}, {R}{W} and {G}{R} +1/+1 counters decks also be things you could do. And if I could get {G}{W} and {R}{W} +1/+1 counters to really FEEL different I'd be beaming.

That's coming along so far with:
  • {U}{W}{R} Prowess (All these combinations are working well so far)
  • {G}{W}{R} +1/+1 counters: This is working okay. Red is certainly favored because of volt charge, and while you can make successful decks in any of these combinations, it really lacks lead in cards like blood artist or Young Pyromancer to really give you a signal that you want to draft this deck.
  • {B}{R}{G/W} Aristocrats: This one has been a bit more schizophrenic. The Black Red version of this deck is well explored and pretty popular. However, sacrifice outlets are a bit far and few between, almost coming to the point that this deck is kind of a mediocre aggro deck if you don't have specifically Goblin Bombardment. As well, I've never really successfully integrated a 3rd color into this archetype, let along having a nonblack version of this deck exist in any capacity. I'm sure there's some lessons I could take from MM17 since they've got a similar idea going on, but I get the feeling that this deck even having hints of white in it is because of cards I already like and work well, but aren't explicitly there for this deck. Committing fully to the Mardu version of this deck miiiiiight overburden white. Even with custom cards, there's only so many overlap cards I can have :p
  • {B}{U}{G} Delirium: This one is a new. As per standard BG delirium, the basic idea is to use cards like Ishkana and Grim Flayer alongside things like Grapple with the Past to combine graveyard based draw smoothing with really powerful payoffs mentioned above. There's a few problems here that I'm going to detail below.
  • With these in place, I'd have {W}{B}{U} left over, and I haven't any ideas yet as to a synergy based identity here.
So that's the state of things and the goals going forward. Maybe that's not realistic or worth it, but well find out when I get closer.

Anyways, with those goals in mind, let's talk about the current barriers to those goals.

Delirium
This has been a bit of a tough nut to crack. I always knew it would be challenging to get delirium to work. I'd tried before and found that it was pretty easy to get a few types (Namely land and creature, and probably at least one of instant/sorcery) but the 4th was a tad more difficult, usually requiring to resort to things like Nameless Inversion, Seal of Doom, or Executioner's Capsule.
What I've discovered is that the list of helpful cards is even shorter than I thought it would be. My list does have a fair amount of artifact creatures and other overlap style cards, but Boon Satyr doesn't really help this deck do it's thing. It can work if you treat it like Gideon's Reproach, but lets not forget that bestow is a mechanic designed to keep permanents on the board, which doesn't help. Courser of Kruphix similarly has 4 toughness and rewards you for keeping it alive for long periods of time, and most of the cheaper bestow cards like Gnarled Scarhide and Herald of Torment are specifically beatdown focused, which is annoying in a deck that usually spends its first few turns "brainstorming"
Artifact creatures have a similar problem. While kaladesh introduced a few green colored artifacts (Something previously {B}{W}{U} specific in Alara, since all the phyrexian mana creatures are basically colorless) the pool was still quite shallow, a mere 4 cards. And while Verdurous Gearhulk is a welcome addition to my cube, he doesn't tend to head to the graveyard either :p

So we've had some issues with card types. I've got plans to alleviate that by sprinkling artifact creatures in where I can, and changing up some of the enabling cards (Tracking might become a Tribal Sorcery - Scout for example).

But one other thing you may have noticed is that all the talking I've done has been about green and black cards, but the goal was to have this be a {B}{U}{G} thing. This leads me into point two: Blue doesn't tend to play with the graveyard in non-broken ways.

What do the following cards have in common?

Treasure Cruise
Dig Through Time
Cognivore
Snapcaster Mage
Accumulated Knowledge
Jace's Phantasm
Blue, stupidly powerful, graveyard cards. Conditional sure, but all really really powerful. (People found a lot of ways to ignore the mana cost on Cognivore back in the day)

There's three blue cards each with threshold and delirium on them, and half of those are part of cycles:

and I get why. WotC probably feels it's too easy to give the color with merfolk looter payoffs for putting cards in their graveyard, but there's just nothing. Body Double is a black uncommon for cying out loud! (And not a great one at that)

We've got the blue zombies from Innistrad (Stitched Drake) but those are frustrating in their all or nothing nature, being literally uncastable if your deck isn't working. Sometimes you're going to draw your spells out of order, and if you have to play brainstorm before your prowess creatures are attacking, you can make that work. Casting stitched drake before you mill yourself is just impossible.

So despite blue being involved in most of all the good graveyard decks of the age (Canadian Threshold, Cephalid Breakfast, UG Madness, it's always as an enabler.
Except delve I guess, because delve is just so inherrently broken we might as well let blue join in on the fun if even the dumb little green cards we print with this mechanic are going to be broken. (Hooting Mandrils is seeing modern play right now, to say nothing of Become Immense's presence in standard, though Temur BattleRage helped a lot there.)

Normally this would make me reconsider if this is really the mechanic I want tying these colors together, but there's tons of great points about delirium I like.
  • I like that the best of these cards do tend to feed themselves (Grim Flayer in particular can work on his own) and be decent in a random deck
  • I like that drafting suggests you pay more attention to otherwise irrelevant card types. Anything making my drafters pick Nameless Inversion over Go for the Throat has a lot going for it.
  • I like that this is lending an interesting dimension to the normally banal Black Green midrange decks.
  • Ishkana (Though not perfect, by any stretch) is the kind of defensive green 5 I'd been looking for. (I'll probably patch her slightly, Acid Web Spider is a really lame fail case)
Maybe I just need to print 20 or so mid-power payoffs for this strategy, but that always feels off. I've even (mostly) managed for white to be a decent prowess color despite it only having a single block of spells matter cards. (Prowess is now specifically blue/red. Seeker of the Way, my darling, is probably about as close as Stone Rain to being reprinted)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I actually have delirium in {G}{W}{B} in my cube, which is a better fit I think. There's actually playable delirium cards in white, and the new split cards in those colors have two card types as well.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
My issue is that white's overburdened as it is :p
Even if delirium specifically isn't the answer, I'm sure I can work out some graveyard based deck that's in {B}{U}{G}.

Two quick things though:
A) I haven't updated my custom card album in a while. Cubetutor was usually up to date, but for some reason I forgot to update the imgur link :p
Here's the updated album, also found in my sig: http://imgur.com/a/WuJVP

I think if you look in there you can see me trying too hard to make delirium work on a few cards. Time for a trim :p

Also, there's another direction I could take the above Aristocrats problem.
My original idea was to look for color wheel combinations that had {U}{W}{R} and {G}{W}{R} in them, as I found the +1/+1 counters deck to be pretty integral to giving {G}{W}{R} some interesting angles.

And since I can't have three shards with {W}{R} in them (Can you tell I'm an aggro player at heart? :p) I could instead look for a color wheel that has {U}{W}{R} and {B}{W}{R} in it, and move the +1/+1 counters deck to another shard, keeping the natural pairing of gravecrawler and white cards, rather than moving all the token style cards from white to green.

This leaves me with these combinations:
Sultai + Jund + Bant
or
Sultai + Temur + Abzan

So we can either have
Jund Counters {R}{G}{B}
Keep: Volt Charge
Lose: Various Ajani's, Mikaeus, the Lunarch, Abzan Falconer
Gains: Rakdos Cackler, Winding Constrictor, probably some cool black counter cards, Dark Banishing with Proliferate would likely be an easy hit.

Bant Counters {U}{W}{G}
Keep: Ajanis, Mikaeus, Falconer,
Lose: Volt Charge, Some of my favorite +1/+1 counter guys like Stormblood Berserker, Plucky Ronin (Custom), Stromkirk Noble
QdUsbNP.png
Gains: Blue would be the most likely spot for a flashback proliferate spell, and this deck does have a big weakness to creature removal, so some sort of Kira like creature and some card draw would be a welcome addition.
I worry about actual creatures with counters on them naturally, as blue's creatures (Especially cheap ones) tend to suck at attacking.
This might end up with my blue section being 60%+ custom cards :p

Temur Counters {R}{U}{G}
This has volt charge, as well as the blue ideas from bant.

Abzan Counters {B}{W}{G}
Similar to Jund, but again, without volt charge.
You'd think that being a 1:1 overlap with Kahn's +1/+1 counter themed clan would be solid, but most of the cards from that set don't translate well to a faster format, and a lot of the sets space is taken up by 3 color cards I'm actively trying to avoid.

Initially, I'm leaning towards Jund. I briefly tried Temur counters before, and it didn't work out that well, but I didn't really try too hard for too long, so perhaps it's worth exploring. Blue's always been a bit of a tough nut for me to crack, design wise, so perhaps giving it more things to do is a good thing in and of itself.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Threshold is also "Until end of turn" :p

I remember putting this guy together and after exporting it, realizing he had no power or toughness. I guess I fixed that, and thought that was the only thing wrong :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Threshold is also "Until end of turn" :p

I remember putting this guy together and after exporting it, realizing he had no power or toughness. I guess I fixed that, and thought that was the only thing wrong :p

Man, you should have made this in mtgcardsmith! Would have been perfect for http://whymtgcardsmith.tumblr.com/ :D

Anyway, despite the obvious trolling in my previous post, I do think milling as a cost is more intuitive here.