The mono-blue cube (WIP)

Making a mono-blue cube is not my idea, but I think it'd be fun, so now I'm putting together a list. I have a general idea of what kind of archetypes to build around, but the part that throws me is the structure.
How many slots (obviously this shouldnt be set in stone) should i have at each cmc?
How many creatures should i have vs noncreatures?
Fixing lands and guilds no longer exist! What should take the place of multicolor cards?

For reference, the archetypes i'm looking at are:
Merfolk
Skies
Wizards
Artifacts (this will likely be the strongest archetype and the most diverse in execution)
Mill ("blue burn")
Self-Mill (Lab Maniac, maybe some other payoffs?)
Ramp (blue can do it!)
Spells
Devotion
... And of course i want aggro, tempo, midrange, and control to be viable.

I'm sure there's a lot i just haven't thought of, since my brain is still wrapping around the basic concept. Any Riptiders want to help me tackle all these questions?

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Don't try and do it all at once. Just take archetypes 1 at a time and fill out the curves for each of them. You may need to do this in a spreadsheet as is is going to be hard to see curves and things on cubetutor when you are focussing on one colour.

The thing about not needing mana fixing means that you have more room for whatever you want! The fixing is generally a requirement to help make the games play well. When you don't have that problem you don't have to restrict slots for mandatory gameplay improvement. You can just put more fun cards!

So, start with the archetype you want in your cube them most, pick out some sweet cards that encourage it, fill out the curve (this may require breaking singleton if nothing else exists) then move onto the next archetype.

That would be my process, but everyone's thought process is different. You may be better just going through gatherer and adding everything that seems cool to a list and cull things to make a nice curve.

I think one of the biggest challenges with mono colored cube is how to keep signals in the draft, since you can just pick whatever, so that there needs to be some very clear differences between themes, but not so that they are isolated and people just auto draft their decks.