General The Pro Tour Sucks

The lifestyle of a pro isn't glamorous in the least, especially if you're a hardcore grinder, but this guy just seems super depressed beyond Magic.

The last big event I played in (I think it was the SCG Open in Columbus, OH) involved me dropping in the last round, when it turned out that a win would've cashed myself and a local that beat me on camera. I went out to dinner and had a relaxing evening; it was worth it.

Playing Magic "professionally" seems even more insane than the hours I spend staring at CubeTutor and Gatherer (which I concede are beyond acceptable quantities).

CML

Contributor
The lifestyle of a pro isn't glamorous in the least, especially if you're a hardcore grinder, but this guy just seems super depressed beyond Magic.

I dunno, sometimes I think I'm the world's foremost authority on pro Magic sucking, and I have a lot of firsthand experience with both depression and antidepression, and I don't see either as strongly here as I do in people's reflexive responses to it. Pro Magic is really depressing! Discrediting someone for being negative is, I dunno, the Hillary campaign or something

Edit: all the same, it's kind of a bad article though compared to http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/magic-the-gathering-pro-myth/ or the OP, right

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The article on Sperling's blog reads really badly. It's just a piece of whining, no constructive criticism, no real insight as to why being a pro sucks, pretty much on par with Sperling's usual ramblings. Being critical is fine, being negative without any further input isn't nearly as useful or effective.

Reactions: CML