The Video Game Thread

I don't think I've ever seen a Master Quest run, so I'm looking forward to that. Banjo Kazooie is one of my favourites as well but I actually don't think it makes a great speed game.

Inventory woes.
MHJsXXM.png

This represents the first time in Brogue (or any roguelike) where I've successfully identified all the potions the game has to offer. And lived through the experience!

Obligatory roguelike fuckup story: See on the left the healthbar showing I have a single Ogre ally? Well I'm standing outside a locked treasure vault, wracking my brains about how the heck to get in there. So I start reading off random scrolls, hoping to find a Shatter scroll to bust the walls. First scroll I pop ends up being scroll of Discord, so my ogres enthusiastically begin fighting to the death like they Romans or sumpin'. A few less-memorable scrolls later and bam! Shatter! ...this treasure vault is immune to shatter. (I already knew that most treasure vaults are, but had to check)

Sitting there wondering how the fuck to get in. Lamenting my poor dead Ogre. Hey look! The key to this door is in my backpack.

are you fecking serious :p if I was playing a idfferent roguelike, you'd pop in and chill? Well I'll make sure never to play that one!

DFO Global just had a big patch that mostly caught us up to the Korean version's balance, if not content. This includes several classes and endgame items getting buffed.
This is the result:

I like them all... Cogmind, The Ground Gives Way, and Brogue are the ones I find myself playing again and again though. TGGW probably has the best tutorial of any roguelike out there, for those who've been ASCII-shy but curious.

There are some great 7drl's (roguelike coded in 7 days or less) that make for good snacks:
http://www.zincland.com/7drl/liveonce/ You Only Live Once. Finished this one in less than 2 hours. Great story!
http://www.zincland.com/7drl/orcs/ Vicious Orcs! This one took a smidge longer, but was more mechanically interesting.
http://thesleeve.itch.io/rogue-space-marine Rogue Space Marine. Kinda a stealth/cover-based-shooter, but still roguey. Also features tile graphics that aren't awful.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Anyone else already tried out Duelyst?

https://duelyst.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NTBgETyn5g

Looking good so far!
Put in a few hours days, and this has pretty much been the death knell for other games I was playing. Games are quick (minutes) and satisfying, and if you're routed, you can always start a new game on the spot! There's a lot of interesting decisions to be made each game: where to move, what cards to replace, how to sequence your plays, etc. There are six factions, and each of them has art and mechanics unique to that faction, all contributing to six different identities. I really couldn't say which faction is my favorite. I thought the Vetruvian were my least favorite, and then I played a few games with a dervish deck and had an absolute blast, and it didn't play anything like the other decks I played so far either! Highly recommended!

If you decide to give it a try, my nick is Onderzeeboot. Surprising, I know ;) If you friend someone and play a game with them, you get a free booster the first time you do so.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'm late to the party on this one, but I've been hooked on Civ 5 for the last couple of weeks. Holy crap game is addictive.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm late to the party on this one, but I've been hooked on Civ 5 for the last couple of weeks. Holy crap game is addictive.

Actually this is a great opportunity: one of my buddies plays a LOT of Civ 5, and I showed him something the extra credits guys mentioned: "Thea: The Awakening"

They pitch it as "Have you wanted to play the beginning parts of a Civ game, except it's also got rogue-like persistence elements?"
Now this is a game very laser targeted at him, those being his two favorite genres, but apparently it's quite amazing.

Aoret

Developer
I've been playing the early release edition of Torment: Tides of Numenera and absolutely loving it. In order to like this game, you have to like story driven stuff. You have to want to be immersed into a world and willing to kinda give yourself over to the experience. If you're the sort of person who skips through dialog, skip this game.

If you like that sort of thing though, this game is great. A lot of the beginning is narrated, not sure if it'll eventually all be narrated or not. Your character develops based on choices you make. Unless you go around picking fights, there are only 12 in the entire game. You spend a lot of time reading and choosing numbered conversation options. You have to be in the right mood, but the story is incredible and so damn weird. Obviously if you liked PlaneScape: Torment, you'll like this. I've found at least one cute little nod to PS:T thus far, so it definitely rewards old school fans.

I'll warn you that it is very early release. You get things like a text box popping up saying "this dungeon isn't implemented in early release. Assume that you explored it, fought some stuff, and then the following encounter began when you came back up...". They also haven't implemented shops whatsoever (although you do find more equipment and stuff just randomly in the world than you will in the full release).

It's the kind of game that definitely rewards replays. The first week I had it I just kept playing over and over through the character creation sequence (which is itself an hour+ long encounter complete with lots of reading, conversations, and a battle). I became obsessed with one of the final sequences in character creation and had to play through it until I knew all of the ways it could pan out. I think there are at least three more such ending sequences that I've still never even gotten to. My girlfriend and I have been playing through it together by taking turns "driving". Whoever is at the keyboard narrates the dialog and options, and we discuss together which options to choose. It has been a really fun experience so far :)

Oh wow, I'd completely forgotten about that game. Got hyped about it forever ago. There really should be a site where you can register your excitement about these things and then get an alert if they ever actually finish the darn thing. I'm waiting on 3 games that I know of but there's probably more.

What's your method to keep track of the multitudes of pre-beta games that might shape up into something cool someday?

Aoret

Developer
Man, when you solve that one let me know.

I backed Tides of Numenera and had no idea it was out for early release for like two months. I don't back anything ever, this is the only thing I've ever thrown money down on... But yeah, it's damn good. IIRC you mentioned liking PS:T when I was talking about that, so you should definitely check it out!

speaking of kickstarter games presumed defunct I hear hyper light drifter comes out in 2 days.

radio the universe still duke nukem status

The Meowkai skin on league came out today for the April Fool's Day stuff and I can't wait to play it~

Also, is anyone playing the Animal Crossing: Happy Homes game?

I just picked it back up and wondering if anyone else plays it.

New Leaf and Pokemon as well, we can totes play/visit each other on those.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
The Meowkai skin on league came out today for the April Fool's Day stuff and I can't wait to play it~

Also, is anyone playing the Animal Crossing: Happy Homes game?

I just picked it back up and wondering if anyone else plays it.

New Leaf and Pokemon as well, we can totes play/visit each other on those.

This is probably a joke/trap, but I don't care. I'm always up to battle with Pokemon. I have never been into the Animal Crossing craze, it doesn't appeal to me. Although my sister is a big fan.

I recently did the 'Kanto Classic' event where you could only use the first 150 pokemon, 6v6, no items. It was rather fun, although I think my record was 3-8, as I had issues against Alakazam and Gengar (should ahve brought something with sucker punch).
1pQPBJj.jpg

djaz3BB.jpg

fZutlMk.jpg

trOmG9b.jpg

UdkzI4C.jpg

Oo2dlTN.jpg
It isn't about the battles. It is about making the best nicknames. But I can give out my FC if anyone wants to try and beat me (I have a normal Gym team I like to use).