The Video Game Thread

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I saw the Ken v Westballz set on YouTube. It's like 3:30 of actual gameplay across two games, and Westballz looked uncharacteristically sloppy. Ken, to his credit, played a pretty tight set, punished well and set up several really nice Ken combos.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
"Sir, if you could just let me win, that would be jolly good!"
"Forsooth, if you pledge to deliver a casket of brandy to my doorstep next Wednesday, I am sure we can come to an agreement!"
"It's a done deal, good sir!"
"Pleasure doing business!"

Maybe more like:
"Sir, if you would kindly stop Ganandorf, that would be jolly good!"
"Forsooth, if you pledge to deliver the Princess Zelda to my tree next Wednesday, I'm sure we can come to an agreement!"
"It's a done deal, good sir!"
"It is something that grows over time... a true friendship!"

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the Top 4 at Evo played 7 different characters, so I guess the diversity is okay. The problem with Fox is that most players are actually worse by playing him.

I just can't root for Armada. The other Smashers feel so much more charismatic.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Is Fox really so good?

Fox theoretically has the strongest tools available to him. At "perfect" levels of play, Fox is the theoretical best.

What makes Fox interesting is that he's a bit of a... semi-glass cannon. He's at a weight where other characters can combo the mess out of him, but he also has strong aggressive tools against everyone in the cast. Fox has dynamic, skill rewarding gameplay with a lot of depth to play as and against. I never play as Fox myself, but I love playing against Fox players.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Man, I don't think I can think fast enough to have a dynamic, skill rewarding game of melee with a lot of depth. It's like lightning. Still fun though.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Do you need a GameCube? I know a shop near me that has one in stock. Dunno about melee though. How about controllers?

Aoret

Developer
Since we're talking about not being good enough to play melee competitively, I again have to bring up TowerFall: Ascension. It's mechanically and game theoretically similar enough to smash that smash players generally like it (though obviously the good ones consider it less of a 'real' game). At a high level, both are by and large about free-form movement and character control more than anything else; finding a positional advantage and an opening to punish your opponent.

Much like Smash in the early days, people are generally fooled into believing it's just a fun party game. For reference, see here although you should basically ignore the commentary as it's largely impossible to commentate on a game where matches last 10 seconds.

tl;dr melee is probably a better game, but mere mortals can actually learn to play TowerFall at a high level (just hyper-jumps) without destroying their wrists doing all the cool shit (wavedashLcancelDIwhateverthefuckelse)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I own Towerfall and played it recently at a party. It's fun times, especially with 4 Gamecube controllers. The people there weren't really hardcore gamers at all, but everyone managed to take at least a match (FFA, first to 10 kills), with lots of smiles all around.

Aoret

Developer
Wadds are you guys up on the hyperjump tech yet? It's a dramatically different game once you start doing abusive stuff with movement.

Aoret

Developer
I implore you to play again and try canceling your dodges (ideally after just 1 frame but let's be realistic...) Check the vid I linked next time you're bored to see what the game looks like once you know how to do the cool stuff.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I implore you to play again and try canceling your dodges (ideally after just 1 frame but let's be realistic...) Check the vid I linked next time you're bored to see what the game looks like once you know how to do the cool stuff.

Is there a list somewhere of the game settings used?

Aoret

Developer
Is there a list somewhere of the game settings used?
For competitive play? There's actually a preset for tournament rules, should be somewhere at the top of the settings. The only tweaks that it makes are: Symmetrical treasure, no auto-balance. (items in TowerFall aren't game-breaking as in smash)

This is a good read on the more technical moves possible in the game.