General [Thought Excercise] What does this break?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
tumblr_o8ikw4Z6mv1tm904wo1_400.png

http://whymtgcardsmith.tumblr.com/post/145778371209/a-fun-game-to-play-with-this-card-is-what-card
In the grand tradition of fun MTG thought excercises, (See the "change a word" reddit thread for a fun time and a good laugh)

Fan favorites from the comments are

Each player shuffles all permanents he or she owns into his or her library,

Draw 4 cards

and (though it doesn't quite work under the specific punctuation marks OP Specifies)

Your opponents can'

:p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
All of the pacts have their rules text errata'd, so the black and red ones are pretty good as well.

Grim Tutor actually tutors for any card and let's you know the order of your library. That's pretty filthy!

Lol @ cards that turn into weird pointless things, like "choose a color" etc.

On actual combo level:

I'm assuming casting restrictions don't count, because nothing about them is used during actual resolution. In any case, seems strong...

"...back with live coverage of the featured table, and we're going to jump right in, it looks like the So Close is going to resolve on Invincible Hymn, and so Hymn will simply read, 'Count the number of cards in your library' for Hoogland, and we have a judge on hand to let us know that yes, he is still obligated to count the cards remaining in his library. How he counts is up to him. The players are getting the news, and there is Jeff somewhat angrily counting the ah cards, we are told he does NOT have to announce that number or even get it correct as it is, of course, at all times, public information"

Got a good laugh out of that, genericco.. :). Certainly in need of some today

All things taken, I do think this is a fantastically deep card. Its a cool combo piece and conditional counterspell rolled into one. I could honestly see this being a blast in more than one format here

(respectively: Search target player. Exile all nontoken permanents. Each player may bid life.)
I love the flavor of that last one. The pain is its own reward. Although I guess you wouldn't actually lose the life.
Possibly good one:

So close is actually a card i would LOVE to test on my cube.
It counters spells, makes them very powerful, generates laughs, what more do you need from a card?
I have to make a custom card cube :/

EDIT: nvm just saw that this was in the OP

Terrible by comparison

This card would weirdly become legal

More oddities to make your opponent uncomfortable