Card/Deck Vanilla creatures

Would you play them without them being way over the curve, or 2/1 one drops?

Edit: in any kind of cube, I guess. Do they even get played in peasant and pauper?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
A vanilla 2/2 for C or a 3/3 for 1C would be cubable I guess. Aside from aggro decks though, vanilla creatures just aren't that interesting. I couldn't imagine a balanced vanilla card that a control deck would want to play for example.

CML

Contributor
every cube needs some cheap beaters that do nothing but attack and block! if i am not mistaken, adding some of these, along with improving guys like Tarmogoyf and Wild Nacatl, is one of this forum's great innovations. in grim mongo cubes, the complexity of value or activated ability guys is no complexity at all.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Considering by definition of vanilla means a lack of abilities, all a vanilla creature can offer is being bigger then other creatures at the same cost.

That perfectly fine for for Kird Ape, Kalonian Tusker and Wholly Thoctar, which are pretty good cards and in a less powerful cube you could stretch a couple more in there.

It'd be pretty hard to plan an environment where a vanilla 5+ drop in desirable though unless you aggressively overcost your non-creature cards.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
FWIW: Goyf's stats aren't fixed and can even be changed at instant speed, so I wouldn't call it a vanilla creature any more then I would Champion of the Parish or Mortician Beetle.

If the criteria is "only used for attacking and blocking" then that opens up a lot of other cards.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I play Kalonian Tusker and its a marginal roleplayer. If I ever took out the green devotion cards, it would be an easy cut. I think a 3/4 would be good enough, the one additional toughness is a big deal.

I think the "only attacks and blocks" definition is more useful than "only flavor text."

Curve is important for every deck. I regularly play random 2-drops in my control decks to have early blockers and a way to pressure planeswalkers.

That said there are a lot of 2-3 drop creatures with appropriate stats and useful abilities. You can have your cheap beater and your cool synergy enabler in one card.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
At 2 mana people are willing to play 3/2s with downsides (Borderland Maurader, Gore House Chainwalker), so I'm thinking CC for a 4/4 with no drawback is more then you need to be playable.

Of course, but then again, loxodon smiter...

It's gold though, and we have so precious few slots for those cards. There are a ton of multicolored cards that would be auto includes if mono colored. Including this dude. 4/4 uncounterable for 3 mana? That's pretty good (even if it's a little boring).

Look at how many hybrids suddenly become competitive as soon as you include them in mono colored sections? Snakeform for example is awesome but is it awesome enough to justify one of your 3 Simic slots? That's the issue.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Is Reverent Hunter interesting? I guess I wouldn't be thrilled if Centaur Courser represented the average case, even if on occasion he blew up to be huge.

Would people cube a {2}{G} vanilla 4/4? Perhaps a 4/5?
Reverent Hunter is interesting, at least if your environment doesn't run tons of wraths.

I don't think I'd cube a vanilla green 4/4, mostly because I don't think it would add anything to the environment. Wholly Thoctar and Leatherback Baloth at least encourage something.

CML

Contributor
Which of those costs is more restrictive?

I like "Green/x" as a theme but there's no reward for going heavily in that direction. Nylea is more a punishment for being dumb enough to share my taste in colors

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I like "Green/x" as a theme but there's no reward for going heavily in that direction. Nylea is more a punishment for being dumb enough to share my taste in colors

The reward is card quality. You don't have to have some explicit mechanic pushing it.

In my cube GG is more restrictive than WG.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think he's talking about Leatherback Baloth vs Woolly Thoctar? That's a pretty interesting question actually, but my gut feeling is that GGG is more restrictive than RGW.

Now let's look it up. I linked to this excellent article by Frank Karsten before, and it answers our question pretty well. To achieve GGG by turn 3 with a 90% probability you need 16 green mana sources in a 40 card deck. To reach RGW by turn 3 you need 8 of each. 16 seems pretty unrealistic in a two-color deck, whereas 8 seems far more manageable if you prioritize fixing enough.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think he's talking about Leatherback Baloth vs Woolly Thoctar? That's a pretty interesting question actually, but my gut feeling is that GGG is more restrictive than RGW.

Now let's look it up. I linked to this excellent article by Frank Karsten before, and it answers our question pretty well. To achieve GGG by turn 3 with a 90% probability you need 16 green mana sources in a 40 card deck. To reach RGW by turn 3 you need 8 of each. 16 seems pretty unrealistic in a two-color deck, whereas 8 seems far more manageable if you prioritize fixing enough.

8 of each is pretty easy.

Consider that if you have all basics you have 17 total mana sources. In a three-color deck each fetchland gives you access to 3-colors (assuming you have corresponding shocklands) and each dual gives you access to 2. So, +2 and +1 respectively. We have to get to 24 (3 * 8) so that requires us to add +7 mana sources to our deck, or, 2 Fetches and 3 Shocklands, which is par the course for cube decks running 20/20 out of 360.

The question is more about the distribution of your decks. Here we have far more {R}{G}{W} decks than {G} decks.