General Venkman - Draft As You Play

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I must be missing something. No explanation, no link, no words that are familiar to me. Elaborate please.

Edit: Never mind, the first word is actually a link, hiding on my iPad set to the dimmest of lighting :(

Edit 2: Ok, I can't actually listen to that in bed (unless I want to piss off my wife), so I'll watch the link later! I feel super helpful over here! :rolleyes:

They had the rules in text below the video:
VENKMAN RULES (As seen in this video.) Venkman is played out of a single deck. The first draw on each player's turn is replaced by a draft. Any other draw is normal - off the top of the deck. The deck is placed on one side of the play area, a clue token is placed on the other. Starting Hands - From the five basic lands, each player is dealt two random lands. The fifth is put in the deck in a random place (If one is being very fair and shuffling it in, it's quickest to do it when shuffling between games.) Players then take turns drafting. The player on the draw drafts first. After that player has drafted their fourth time, the other player begins their first turn. Drafting - There are two options in the draft. The first option is to look at the top three cards of the deck, put one into hand, remove one from the game, and add the third to the farthest side of the offer line (initially, the clue token is the offer line). The second option is to take half of the offer line, rounded down, that is closest to you. If a player takes the clue token from the offer line, it is then on the battlefield, under that player's control. There is a normal hand size of seven and it is first checked at the end of each player's first turn. Each draft is considered a single card draw, no matter which option was chosen or how many cards were put into hand. The game is paused during drafting. If the top card of the library would be revealed, it is not revealed until the draft ends. If a player would search the library, that player has a choice. They can search from among the top ten cards of the library, bottoming the rest, or they can search from a group of set aside cards (basic lands). Scry X works differently. A player has a choice when scrying. They can use it the normal way, or they can replace the closest X cards in the offer line with face-down cards from the top of the deck. If any of those cards in the offer line were face-down, that player may look at the face-down card(s) first before deciding whether or not to replace it(them). If a player would draw a card from the library but cannot, the player with the most life wins. If the players have the same amount of life, everyone wins.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody have experience playing with this? It's an idea I've played with before but was never really satisfied with.

I would like to see the list these people are using and how they built it. I can't tell if this is just getting extra use out of a cube or something made specifically for this format. It feels like you need heavy color fixing. I wonder if this would end up being similar to grid drafting in that you could benefit from building specifically for it and possibly cutting a color.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think part of the charm of the format is that you don't know exactly what two basic lands your opponent starts off with. Cutting a color would eliminate this tension.

Thanks for taking a look.

The deck is built specifically for this format. Cubes would work - the format's really flexible - but most wouldn't be ideal. I have played a very similar format with someone's powered cube. The person I was playing with thought it was great, but I wasn't sold on it.

There does need to be good mana fixing, but less so than a normal deck with same number of colors. The card selection helps a lot. I do play with decks with fewer colors - I'm putting up a match with a 4-color deck soon that uses mostly basics.

I don't have that decklist written out, but the main thing is just to have variety. Variety of effect, threats, answers, power level, etc.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
This thread makes me feel like Balduviantradingpost.com may be making a comeback.

I am glad you came here to post it though, the people on that forum probably wouldn't understand. To me, they are way too involved into the drafting aspect than the play, as their hit a couple of years ago was having a mini-redraft at the start of every primer-numbered turn. to make sure each deck and game was unique. An interesting premise to be sure but went way over my head.

I like this method though, once people understand the process I think it will be an overall quicker way to do a 'two-man draft' than, say, grid drafting. Which would be great for people generally cramped for time, which is what my Type-4 stack is all about. I am all up for weird variants, and may try and build a pile for it one time if I ever get the itch to do so.

I never heard of that forum which I'll admit played a pretty big part in my decision to post it here and not there.

And that forum doesn't exist anymore? And redirects to a thread on this forum? I'm confused all around. Especially by the fractal cube. If someone built that I'd be worried about running out of atoms in the universe.