General What do you want to happen in cubing in the next 5 years?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I hate these kind of questions in a job interview! "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" Who the heck cares? Did you know 10 years ago that you would end up where you are now? No, I didn't think so. Anyway...
  • Fair planeswalkers in every color (especially black) that are castable (3-5 mana) and fun to play with but don't dominate a game.
  • Build around me cards that connect multiple themes.
  • New, hitherto unexplored themes that are fun to include in a cube.
  • For WotC to realize that riptidelab cubes play better than their own cube, and for them to adapt.
  • A cube supplement (like the Commander decks) that lines up nicely with WotC's newfound insights.

There is probz gonna be more diversity and more language with which to understand the diversity.

• For WotC to realize that riptidelab cubes play better than their own cube, and for them to adapt.
  • A cube supplement (like the Commander decks) that lines up nicely with WotC's newfound insights.
I want to post CML-level reaction lists of youtube videos to this but I simply cannot see happening. Wizards believes they have been recently printing at least one card per set expressly for cube purposes iirc (MaRo post so who knows), though what those cards are exactly is hush-hush

I'm always hoping Wizards will release an official cube product. Not sure if this is in their best interests or not.. can't tell. They could opt for non-tournament legal, collector's edition-esque product, or let the cards be tournament legal. Then they'd just have to be careful what they print. I'm imagining maybe $100 for a 360 card cube. Of course, I would be worried it would look like the MTGO cube, though it couldn't if they were tournament legal. So really what I want is for you guys to design a cube for me and have wizards print it ;) .

Another thing you might imagine for the future of cubing (and this is a bit weird) is maybe some kind of standardization? Everyone has their own cube, which is the point, but that can make it a bit difficult to develop or discuss strategy of the format outside your small playgroup. If, for example, wizards did release a 360 card cube, and it was worth playing, you could see lots of interesting strategy articles, videos, card rankings, etc shared within the community. I think it would be cool to see a cube "developed" to the same level of retail sets.

I absolutely DO NOT want wizards doing anything official for cube unless its to crush some of the narrow minded thinking you see on the forums (singleton, power max, etc.).

Any attempt to standardize would kill what is good about the format IMO. At least for me, I found this format to get away from all that.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I absolutely DO NOT want wizards doing anything official for cube unless its to crush some of the narrow minded thinking you see on the forums (singleton, power max, etc.).

Any attempt to standardize would kill what is good about the format IMO. At least for me, I found this format to get away from all that.

I was thinking of a small (10-20 cards?) expansions with fixed cards. Each expansion can contain cubable cards that follow a certain theme. Some reprints, some new art, some new cards. Say something like:

MtG Cube - Enters the Battlefield Abuse
Restoration Angel
Sun Titan
Deadeye Navigator
Mulldrifter
Diabolic Servitude
Massacre Wurm
Flametongue Kavu
Sneak Attack
Eternal Witness
Natural Order
Brago, King Eternal
Roon of the Hidden Realm
some new cards...

Time Bubble {2}{U}{U}
Enchantment
Whenever a creature attacks, exile it. Return it to the battlefield tapped and attacking at the beginning of the declare attackers step on its controller's next combat turn.

Reactions: Tom