General Why I'm going low power

This is best told as a story, which I’ll start trying to keep brief, but will spiral out of control. Skip down to the TL;DR, if you are in a hurry.

The anectode starts like that:

I hadn’t played Magic in years, for a lack of money and friends who were into it. In 2010 I started working at a videogame company and met people who didn’t play yet but were super interested - as long as it didn’t cost them money, because game company. The solution was trying the new cool thing (of 2010) and build a cube - which was free since I already had a collection of random cheap cards.

They absolutely loved it - and so did I, even though I’d played Magic since 1997. These were the best games I’d ever played, with the coolest decks I made in the same day in a minigame called drafting! That time was awesome and for about 2 years, we drafted most weekends. I even had a blog about it, where I’d often write an analysis of the decks of the week.

Life moved on, the company exploded (because game company), most of these friends moved, and we drafted only sporadically. In 2013 I got a new, well-paid job but had to move to far away from there. At this new city/job, I found people who were into MtG, and when I was finally not struggling with cash anymore and could afford more than $15 a month, I got a lot of new shiny things for my cube, which had to that point been powermax, limited to budget. And then it was just powermax.

Fig 1. Cards that feel like cheating

I got everyone to try my new shiny cube, and they did try out this weird idea. Much to my disappointment, it was bad. GRBS is real - game-ruining bullshit (all rights to riptidelab.com). Grave Titan was ridiculous and had no answers. Whip of Erebos was impossible to race against. Managorger Hydra was a 7/7 trample for 3. Sword of Body and Mind finished the game in 2 hits. You get the idea. They didn’t like it

So I went to the drawing board, removed some of the worst offenders, and turned to Riptide principles (where I already lurked though didn’t post) going from generic good-stuff cube to archetypes cube. After all, archetypes were synergistic enough that you could play bad cards and win over good cards, right? Turns out that no.

I thought the problem was the archetypes, so I developed Modular Cube technology to make them better (the payoff cards for a given archetype either all show up or do not). And so they became playable, but not all of them. Many were just low tier decks that lost to Jeskai Goodstuff. I would need to make them super poisonous to have a chance.

At that point, the cube was where I really, really didn’t want it to be. The best decks were either random good stuff (think Wall of Omens + Wrath of God + Lightning Helix + Mulldrifter) or super focused archetype decks unshuffled from the boosters.

I looked back to the first cube and thought: why does a cheap cube plays better than an expensive cube? And the answer was power. Cards are expensive because of demand, and demand is there because they are strong. I did have some strong cards (had Fact or Fiction, Sulfuric Vortex, Celestial Colonnade, and by themselves they were not oppressive), but having all strong cards? That could’ve been a good idea in the past, when good cards were ones you had to break. But now, power creep and especially versatile card power creep has made strong cards just plain boring and blunt.

The solution was obvious: going down in power. Some strong cards were removed, but mostly it was about diluting the cube with worse, situational and slow cards. You can call them durdly as a bad thing, but being repetitive with strong cards (Recurring Nightmare) feels cheap, being repetitive with bad cards (Kiku, Night’s Flower) feels like you deserved it.

Fig 2. Cards that don't feel like cheating

Note that this was not much of a reduction in maximum power level of the cube, but a significant one of the average power level, and a large increase in the variance of power level. So I went from a flat power goal to a wider power goal. Not as wide as regular limited, but enough that there are not 15 first-picks in your booster, but 3.

So what happened? A lot of good things:
  • Archetypes can be balanced because there wasn’t room to go down. Modern good stuff cards are meant to be better than constructed combo decks (because WotC hates combo at the moment), so they are made at such a power level. However, we are in limited and not constructed, so the combo deck already are worse off. If we run these modern strong cards, the combo decks simply cannot exist. Tone down the generic cards enough and combo becomes stronger. There is, though, room for combo to go down now, and the archetypes can be balanced, and not run at 100% of the possible power.
  • Archetypes that are downright unplayable at higher power levels may becomes playable. I’m trying the Hondens, for example. And Madness. And I’m pushing for aggro-control to be a thing, because it’s fun!
  • Signaling works. If halfway through a pack you see amazing green cards, green is probably open!
  • Players actually get excited when opening Mulldrifter.
  • Hate drafting makes less sense, as wasting your picks hurts more when you are not guaranteed to draft 23 good spells and still have room for non-basics.

But most importantly, and these things I only found out afterwards:
  • A lot of fun cards can come back. Throat Slitter is a Rat Ninja that comes from fucking nowhere and slits someone’s throat! Azorius Guildmage is a wizard that conjures bureaucracy!
  • Combos that are cute but not game-breaking actually do something, when there’s time for cute stuff. You can build mini synergies in your deck and it’ll be worth it.
  • More cards are played, there is more time to see them match up against each other, and interesting interactions happen more often.
  • The tempo is lower and there is more time to find answers. More answers = more back and forth.

Fig 3. Cards are happy to be playable

Magic isn’t fun because the cards are strong. 20 damage for R isn’t fun. It’s fun because it’s a mental challenge. It’s a creative challenge.

TL;DR; I started with a “powermax cube with budget restrictions”, and was happy with it. Removing the budget constraints - along with the direction the game went - moved it towards modern powermax. I hated it and tried to save it with archetypes. When nothing worked out, I went back to where I started by changing the philosophy to “low power, interesting cards”. This made the games and draft more fun and interesting.

Sample decklists after the changes:

RG Aggro - Overwhelming Stampede from CubeTutor.com

Mardu Midrange - Zurgo Helmsmasher from CubeTutor.com

Orzhov Aggro-Control - Zealous Persecution from CubeTutor.com

Uw Draw-Go Control - Cryptic Command from CubeTutor.com

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Pretty similar to my experience. I would also add that spending a bunch of money every set release on those "improvements" gets pretty miserable too.

The notion that expensive (or "higher power") cards make better magic is just consumer nonsense.

Lower power cards tend to be more naturally synergistic, due to defects that require a second element to repair, and power max will always trend towards removing those defects. A + B design results in stronger color pair relationships, as well as much greater variety in the way decks can come together, and more creativity in the way they play.

or

As examples from color combinations that higher power formats tend to struggle with identity wise, but have very distinct (and fun) play patterns to achieve once the power level is brought down. This is also part of the puzzle of the draft.

Another good example is

which (unlike certain other reanimation spells) requires you look someplace else to find a solution to a problem (bodies to sacrifice) that is likely to pull you into a second color hunting for certain cards, rather than just making a pick, than loosely assembling mana fixing with 4-5cc value cards.

While you can do this with higher power cards (which dread return is an example of) when you start putting the impetus on individual card power to solve your problems, rather than problem policing your own design: examining whether appropriate A + B color pair relationships exist, play and feel unique, and are layored cleverly, it becomes easy to lose the script, and find yourself in a money pit.

I wish when I started my first format, I had gone peasant or pauper level: if you are going to learn, you might as well learn as cheaply as possible, and you're less likely to get a bad format. In addition, you get a good sense of how creative A + B design feels, rather than having your pallet overpowered by titans and planeswalkers.

Also recommend Chris' gridwork for anyone looking for good formats that don't break the bank: probably the absolute best place to start.

Thanks for sharing though.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I also want to touch on my experience with my pauper/peasant cube as I feel it touches on a lot of the same points.

When I first started on this whole cubing escapade I built a pauper cube as I thought it would be cheap and provide a wholesome experience. While the cheapness was correct and I did enjoy the experience with it, there was always something that was bugging me about it. Too many games came down to top-deck wars. It seemed like whomever had the slightest bit more card advantage in their decks would win.

This wasn't to say that aggro decks couldn't win, they just needed things like Rancor or Bonesplitter to stand a chance as they feel like virtual card advantage. It all just seemed that little bit too grindy for mine (and others) tastes.

Also, Capsize was also the most miserable thing available in that format, making someone leave a draft after the first round. There just isn't too many ways to deal with it at the common level, or at least get to a point where you can come back from someone locking you out with it.

Here are a couple of decks from that era:
So in order to try and fix my mild displeasure with my cube, I decided to make it peasant. This allowed me to add some spicy cards to help introduce archetypes (Spider Spawning is great fun) and increase the power-level (because how can you not run Skullclamp!). This breathed some new life into my cube and as with anything new it is exciting to begin with. Check out these sweet brews:
It felt liberating to be able to play pet cards like Worm Harvest and Fleetfeather Cockatrice and have decks where synergy sets the precedent and allows the pilot to overcome the card advantage problem that the pauper cube had.

This didn't mean that the cube didn't have it's problems. I thought that you needed to include the best cards in that rarity, I mean it is a cube, you are supposed to be able to play with the best cards right?! Then the GRBS and overly strong cards started to influence drafts more and more:

That was when I joined this forum (I had been lurking previously for a while) and was enamored with the Penny Pincher cube and Jason's cube. This led me to build a new cube (Since I now had money) and made my Wobbly Cube, which is of a substantially higher power level than the peasant cube, but I haven't felt any of the problems that I have with my peasant cube. I am even running two of the cards that Japahn defined as GRBS (Whip and Hydra) and while I feel they are strong, I don't think they have ruined play experience for anyone.

My peasant cube now just sits in the corner gathering dust and I have been slowly working towards converting it over to a Penny Pincher cube, as I have a lot of experience with that cube, and I want something cheap that I can bring to draft with randoms at the LGS (Wobbly cube, while fun is not cheap by any means).

I guess I followed Japahn in which I kept trying to build 'power-max' cubes (even with the petty rarity restrictions) and just wasn't enjoying them. I guess my breakthrough came with the breaking of restrictions (and I guess budget :p). Enjoyment is in the eye of the beholder. If things aren't working, make radical changes to see if that makes it better, if not, then at least you have learnt something and can try a different approach.

In Conclusion: Sometimes building 'low-power'/'budget' cubes isn't all you need to have fun. You need to put in decent thought into the design of your cube and have cards you and your crew enjoy playing with to have the most fun you possibly can.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
When first built my cube I was quite a dweeb and had little idea what I was doing (my approach to life). I threw together all the cards I had that matched Evan Erwin's list, and whatever other cards I liked. It was mostly commons and uncommons from Mirrodin and Kamigawa because that was what I had. There was pretty much no thought behind it but I still look back at it as the most fun I've ever had playing magic. My quest for "design principles" and "archetypes" a la riptidelab has always been complimented by a desire to get back to the randomness of that first shoebox.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I have vague far off memories of enjoying magic, in a time when we played on the kitchen table and probably only had like 10 rares between us.

In Conclusion: Sometimes building 'low-power'/'budget' cubes isn't all you need to have fun. You need to put in decent thought into the design of your cube and have cards you and your crew enjoy playing with to have the most fun you possibly can.

Definitely. Low power isn't inherently fun, and if one built cubes from random low-power and random high-power cards, I bet the high-power one would be more fun because the average card tends to be more interesting.

My realization was that low-power opens wider possibilities, pushing themes and card that are fun into the playable range.

If Card power is in a normal distribution, a power band including the mean will have much more options than a power band that starts 2 standard deviations above the mean. Even if each card close to the mean is less likely to be interesting, the interesting options are still plentiful due to sheer numbers (lots, lots of hidden gems at low power). Most importantly, themes that cannot be supported at high power can be worked with at low power.

Hey, just here to comment as well. when i first created my cube i went the C/U route. it was VERY heavy in multi-color cards and that lead it to be just a huge controll-y slow grindy environment. I eventually stayed C/U and cut multicolor some and made a larger effort to get aggro in a good place... (mind you I like FREE FOR ALL multiplayer, as that is what my friends and I tend to play, so things are a bit different than normal cubes) but after that i just felt like C/U got stale in that you just picked best cards and it was a bit bland. Then i started looking into the rares and trying to create a budget-ish lower power w/ rare cube that had a lot of synergy and cards that could help archetypes and make the drafting process much more interesting and choice laden.

So far it has been a smashing success as my friends are extreemly happy with the rework, though laugh whenever they see anything like an ultra-rare (some cards are ultra rare but in a low power non standard type deck they aren't obscenely OP, so its just fun)

the biggest issue I have now is trying to figure out where to go from here. figuring out whether 1 card is better than another. i have about 100 or so at this point in time that I don't understand how they aren't in the cube but when i'm at like 490 i can't go adding them in willy nilly.

my one rule is that I will NEVER EVER put in any Planeswalker's as I think they should be considered POWERED always

I wish there was a bigger online community for the lower powered environment (not low power as in crap power, but just not high/power9 cubes) as well as some more multiplayer discussion...

my FFA low power cube is too niche to really seek good advice :/

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I arrived at pretty much the same conclusion, for reasons best described here.

I've been reading e. hustle's not particularly well written, but at times insightful articles about deckbuilding in pauper, and came across this exert which I found interesting

Another mistake deckbuilders commonly make is constructing a deck that fails to execute a game plan. A deckbuilder may have a solid concept for a deck, but, for one reason or another, their deck fails to deliver. In general, the power level of individual common cards is much lower than that of higher rarity cards. There are very few cards in Pauper that can individually compete with the power level of Mythic Rare creatures, planeswalkers and equipment, and their ability to single handedly win you the game. Therefore in Pauper you’re generally going have to put some effort into winning, often involving sculpting a game plan over multiple turns.

I think he did hit about a key difference between low power and high power formats, that formats compromised mostly of commons and uncommons trend towards one end of a spectrum, and power max formats trend towards another end, as far as strategic pacing is concerned. It also provides more of a guiding hand in understanding how power variances should actually work (which skeletal vampire is currently violating).

I have a love hate relationship with those low power formats; because the games are very much about sculpting a focused strategy, which means the games can feel quite deep, however, the effects of an unfavorable turn is just brutal. When you are losing, you tend to just keep on losing, as individual cards do little to help you catch pace in these little wars of incremental strategy, and there is not much in the way of tempo recouping devices to help you out of the hole. In addition, there is a huge emphasis on meta knowledge, which is awesome for the depth it adds, but results in a heightened learning curve that can be off-putting. Finally, because there aren't power spikes, the games can lack the excitement players want, since the pleasure of a low power format comes from subtle micro interactions managed over time, and there isn't much flash.

Rare/mythic formats tend to have a lot of high power tempo recouping plays, but at times this can overtake the practice of drafting focused decks and sculpting a focused gameplan over multiple turns.

There are a few caveats of course, a lot of the C/U design you see on other forums is just budget power max, so they run things like cloudgoat and jitte, with no real thought toward promoting balanced archetype relationships or exploring the available synergies. Thats a pretty quick ticket to the same blandness of a M/R format, or even worse, because something like cloudgoat is a pretty boring bomb.

Thats probably part of why the power max c/u lists have never really caught on, as they are just worse versions of what the power max R/M lists are doing.

I occasionally run free for all multiplayer with my budget list, which is also a low power rare format, if you ever want to talk about that. The big thing is not going crazy with sweepers, as they are essentially just game resets in that environment.