[WIP] vennythekid's Powered Cube

"Cube is like drafting hyperbole" ~someone on Cube Drafting, no doubt.

I'll be editing this OP in the next few days (weeks?) to include more stuff about this project's design.
I don't want to crowd the main forums with this project, so I'm making my own thread. I've been incorporating some of the ideas here already into this post as well.

I don't have a list just yet, but I have an idea. I want to make Powered Cube, but Riptide style.
All the great shenanigans of Riptide (TM) Cubes, but when they're allowed to play with power.

This is a format defined first and foremost by its mana:

And secondly defined by the wide availability of card advantage engines

Here's a general project outline, as this will take me some time and thinking to nail down:
1. Figure out which cards I want to consider. Certainly, the P9 + Cube GRBS List will be included, and we'll go from there.
2. Figure out what the archetypes that these cards form. Once I have a sense of what might go together, the support cards, etc. might fall into place easier.
3. Put a complete 360 together, and draft, draft, draft. Figure out what's cool about the environment, and what's not. It's likely never going to be "balanced" per se, as the card advantage engines and fundamentally broken cards will prevent that. But that doesn't mean it can't be fun/interesting/thought provoking.

Here are the archetypes I'm thinking will be cool in this environment. They'll likely need work and tuning to put them on the same playing field as each other:
You basically have a format divided between these linear big mana decks trying to do stupid things, and the fair decks that want to exploit weaknesses in the mana rock foundation by doing stupid things, which actually sounds like it could be a real format.
Grillo (once again) provided me with an excellent direction in which to take this project, suggesting I lay out the archetypes by color-pair to keep them organized, unique, but with overlap.
U/W: Draw-Go Control/Miracles Control
U/B: Storm and Reanimator Combo
B/R: Hand-disruption coupled with aggro threats
R/G: Ramp
G/W:
W/B: Stax
B/G: Grindy (Survival/Nightmare) Midrange
G/U: ?
U/R: Prowess/Spell-based Aggro, Combo-Control (Sneak Attack, Twin)
R/W: Death and Taxes

1. "Spell-Based Aggro"
The most efficient Prowess beaters come together with the highest velocity spells to create an ultimate aggro deck. Powered by Ancestral Recall and backed up by Magic's best counter-suite.

2. "Sac-Aggro"
With the best sacrifice outlets are available, the deck goes far and wide, grinding advantage whilst providing resiliency. Driven by the ever-hungry Skullclamp, it's sure to put a clamp on your opponent's lifetotal.

3. "Hatebear" Aggro
Taxing the explosive fast mana decks, this archetype provides an "answer" to the shenanigans of the format. Looking to slow the explosiveness of opposing decks whilst laying down a slew of aggressive options, this deck takes the role of "anti-fun" with pride.

I'm wondering if Thorn of Amethyst, Sphere of Resistence, or Trinisphere have a place here [in this format] or no.

3. "Birthing Pod" "Midrange"
The Birthing Pod archetype gets souped up to be the hyper-grindy midrange deck in the format. Fueled by the fast mana of the format and made resilient by Recurring Nightmare, this keeps the creature decks fighting in a world of Ancestral Recalls. This is likely the main midrange plan for the environment, as anything else might struggle to keep up with the format.

4. "Reanimator"
Something stirs in the graveyard...

5. "Hyper-Ramp"
Premium fast mana available format-wide will be an interesting issue to deal with concerning ramp decks. Casting fatties will have to be just as strong as playing other strategies like storm.

6. "Storm"
Storm is traditionally very difficult to incorporate into a limited format, as traditional formats require poisonous Storm cards that clog the drafts and only work well in the Storm decks. Powered Cubes are different, and this one especially, because the fast mana and strong cantrips the feed the deck are already omnipresent. I want to include some tutors as well.

7. "Control"
The UW control decks might be able to play a miracles-style counter-top TOL manipulation game. On the other hand, it might be too cute/slow to set up.

Maybe its enough to just give control some Planeswalkers and powerful countermagic.

Another large question I'm pondering is the inclusion of Mental Misstep as a multiple. It could end up being a strong tempo/control/disruptive play or it could be a metagame disaster. Also answers Ancestral Recall.

8. UR Combo "Control"
Primarily a control deck playing combo elements out of a UR shell. I love these decks and am excited to try them out with power. The counter-suite is similar to control, but likely with more emphasis on the "free" counters, like Force and Misdirection. This archetype is super flexible and could also play all-in combo rather than a control game, or could play combo elements alongside the more aggressive UR cards.

*Cards that I want to consider/haven't gotten to yet*
(Please suggest stuff too!)

Planeswalkers: which ones?
Storm Cards
Stax Cards
Workshop?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I was kind of imagining the aggro decks just being dudes that disrupt, coupled with more disruption. Stuff like vendilion clique, thoughtseize, inquisition of kozilek, duress, blackmail, in black and good efficient 1-2cc counterspells in blue. White you get taxing effects like thalia, aven mindscensor, veryn wingmare, kataki, war's wage, and in green and red you get a bunch of artifact and land destruction. Run wasteland and strip mine.

I think your aggro decks are pretty much just 100% on a disruption plan.

That frees you up to run a bunch of big mana strategies built around mana rocks, so besides the moxen, lotus, and sol ring, you can run the signets and monoliths.

VSL is turning me off from both storm and workshops, but maybe they can be made reasonable. I think you still don't want turn 1, or virtual turn 1, kills.

I agree with you on the disruption, it seems necessary for otherwise "fair" decks to be successful. What sorts of artifact hate plays best in aggro decks? Should I look around vintage sideboards?

I don't know that I need to explicitly want to support storm; I would imagine it comes together anyways given the wide availability of good cantrips and fast mana. So I don't see a reason not to include Tendrils, as the rest of the support is in the environment already.

I'm sort of torn right now between having giant fatties and reanimator in the environment or not. It seems like that would be the closest thing to T1 kills/virtual T1 kill, as enabler -> Iona or something similar would be hard to beat. What are your thoughts on this?

I haven't watched VSL since season 1, but maybe I should get back into it for inspiration? Also watching LSV's powered cube drafts might help too.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'm watching this project with excitement, bordering on giddyness. If you end up putting something together, I might just proxy up the list for my own group to cube with, as a change of pace from the normal Riptide-style goodness!

Storm seems like it would almost be a prerequisite for this type of cube, along with other unfair decks like reanimator and giant ramp, along with cheats decks like Sneak Attack. You could potentially temper the power level of these decks by your selection of fatties, and leave off the biggest offenders, such as Iona, Shield of Emeria and Emrakul. I think the expectation with a powered cube is that there are lots of toys to play with, all of them unfair, and that this is the biggest selling point of going powered. Or, perhaps, is the mission statement something more akin to a Riptide-style cube but with extra juice - that is, fair decks for the most part, but amped up to 11?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The discourse here at 31:26 is, I think, what you want to avoid.

I think maybe exhume, animate dead, corpse dance, and shallow grave is fine? Of course you want recurring nightmare as that is the whole point of the project. Than you want to have force spike, mana tithe, daze, force of will, and back that up with 1 cc removal and bounce. You'll still get some fast kills, but hopefully that is enough of a disruption suite so people don't get tired of it too quickly.

Ramp seems fairly easy to disrupt, as you have all of that af hate you can run, and basically anything is great: manic vandal, smash to smithereens, trygon predator, kolaghan's command and so forth. Dack is great.

Birthing pod seems a bit boring. Its kind of a clunky card, requires investing 2-3 slots in your green section, and theoretically gets blown out by all of the splash hate from being people going after the mana rock strategies.

I would think recurring nightmare would be part of a sort of grindy G/B value deck, that wants to recycle ETBs that hit artifacts or lands, slowly strangling the opponent on resources. Stuff like eternal witness for fulminator mage and so forth. That is probably a better shopesque anaconda feel than actually supporting robots.

You basically have a format divided between these linear big mana decks trying to do stupid things, and the fair decks that want to exploit weaknesses in the mana rock foundation by doing stupid things, which actually sounds like it could be a real format.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, I think I'm with Grillo in that this might not be the format for Birthing Pod, or really, midrange in general. When half of the decks in a given draft could be unfair, and packing lethal combos that kill inside of a couple turns, grinding out incremental advantages over the course of several turns might not cut it, even if they're all two-for-one deals.

I think engine decks - Recurring Nightmare/Survival of the Fittest being one of the best - essentially push the durdly midrange decks out.

Are Demonic Tutor and Mystical Tutor fair game for the reanimator deck, or does that make it too consistent and overbearing?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
You're probably looking at more three color pairs, but say (super rough):

UW: control?
UB: some kind of storm? reanimator combo/ ramp control
BR: disruptive aggro
RG: hatebears/ramp
GW: hatebears (artifact hate and tax effects)
BW: tax/discard based disruptive aggro, with some black value creatures
UR: disruptive aggro/Splinter twin/Control/tempo/some kind of storm?/sneak attack/through the breach?
BG: Value reanimation (recurring nightmare/survival of the fittest/fauna shaman)/rampainmator
RW: death and taxes
GU: disruptive stompy?

Probably more like:
G/B/x: value reanimator
W/x: death and taxes aggro
U/B/x: reanimator/ control ramp
U/R/x: control combo/control ramp
G/U/x: counterspell disruption and ramped out fatties

Very rough, and need to smooth that out so the wedge/shards feel different.

I think that at least covers your aggro decks, and than your control decks are probably more splinter twinish, where they have some combo to close out with after drafting around removal/draw/artifact theft/destruction to out mana the opponent. Your midrange decks are more about value grinding? Recurring that disruption? Than you have the big dumb deck combo decks using stuff like wheel of fortune, time twister, time spiral.

Exciting cards for me (besides fast mana etc):

Yeah, I think I'm with Grillo in that this might not be the format for Birthing Pod, or really, midrange in general. When half of the decks in a given draft could be unfair, and packing lethal combos that kill inside of a couple turns, grinding out incremental advantages over the course of several turns might not cut it, even if they're all two-for-one deals.

I think engine decks - Recurring Nightmare/Survival of the Fittest being one of the best - essentially push the durdly midrange decks out.

Are Demonic Tutor and Mystical Tutor fair game for the reanimator deck, or does that make it too consistent and overbearing?

I agree with both of you, and I was never planing on including Pod in this list. I was using Pod to name the archetype, as Nightmare/Surivial plays a similar space in this cube as Pod plays in Riptide cubes. I just communicated that poorly, I think.

I also like Eric's point of selecting fatties that don't break the environment. Griselbrand is right about where I want. Iona might be too much. I don't know about the Eldrazi yet, as I'm not sure Annihilator 4+ leads to games. I'll probably go all-out at first and tone it down if it's too much. With regards to tutors, I plan to include at least Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Enlightened Tutor, and Mystical Tutor.

Control:
The UW control decks might be able to play a miracles-style counter-top TOL manipulation game. On the other hand, it might be too cute/slow to set up.

Maybe its enough to give control some Planeswalkers and countermagic.

Another large question I'm pondering is the inclusion of Mental Misstep as a multiple. It could end up being a strong tempo/control/disruptive play or it could be a metagame disaster. Also answers Ancestral Recall. Thoughts?

Speaking of disruption, I think I want a strong discard suite, but I'm not sure how many to include in a 360. Worth noting, I think Duress will be a lot stronger here than in traditional cubes. Something like:

Seems appropriate.

Mesmeric Fiend/Brain Maggot are also probably better than Inquisition here. Decks here seem to be more about going over the top of each other, so there should be fewer ways to remove the body than normal.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
So

probably also could toss in

which I suppose cements B/W identity as a more disruptive color pair, trying to use things like bitterblossom and skullclamp to build a greater game plan.

What are our thoughts on mind twist? No fun with fast mana, or something people are expecting to see?

As for building the archetype building, there is an old david shaffer video I like to reference (since I can't find any of his articles anymore).

Combo:
1. Make sure that what you're doing actually is powerful. If its not powerful, its probably not worth doing.
2. You want to have a ton of redundancy (function or near function copies/tutors/card draw): that the deck flows smoothly and can combo off.
3. That there is some kind of cantriping effect (g prob, manamorphose): which means good fixing (since you are running less lands) and ways to deal with excess lands you draw (faithless looting etc).
4. Provide ways to protect the combo (chain of vapor for spell based combo/temp. hexproof for creature based)

Control
1. Be able to cast more-for-ones (which usually are more expensive), and have a decent curve of cards that trade one-for-one leading up to that point.
2. Ways to gain a mana advantage (the land destruction test-in this case the artifact destruction test)
3. One really strong win condition with ways to protect it
4. Value out backup plan
5. Redundancy in similar but still diverse effects

I think the aggro decks are pretty obvious here: they are going to be defined by their access to disruption, which should be powerful enough to make their dorks good enough.

So I just explained to a guy on Reddit why most cubes avoid supporting Storm:

vennythekid said:
Typically, people avoid supporting Storm in their cubes because of how narrow the storm enablers are. You essentially have a bunch of narrow storm support cards (rituals, etc) that are useless except in the storm deck, meaning one of three things:

1. One guy drafts the Storm deck. His draft is boring because there's no tension/fight over his cards because no one else wants them
  2. Two people try to draft the Storm deck, and neither get enough of the support to play the deck properly (because typically you don't have enough support for TWO storm decks in one cube). Their decks are miserable do-nothing piles.
  3. Nobody drafts the Storm cards and there's a lot of wasted/garbage picks in the packs.
Your best case scenario (1) is not even that great, because in addition, other decks are typically ill-adept at fighting storm (most cubes lack enough cheap, relevant, instant-speed ways to interact meaningfully with Storm), so the games are very goldfish-stompy. Either the Storm player goes off, or he gets killed durdling on cantrips.

And I might have almost talked myself out of supporting Storm here. This cube is different because it has some fast mana and some good cantrips already. So I guess my question (and it's more me thinking outloud but w.e) is:

1. How many Storm decks am I supporting? Currently, classic Dark Ritual, Cantrips, Yawgwill (TES?) and Fastbond-Gush are in consideration. Is one preferred over the other in a Cube sense (less poisonous)? Why not both?

2. Will the Storm cards be playable in other archetypes (maybe other combo)? This list is going to be crazy tight and I don't want too many lame, narrow cards. Someone sell me on Dark Ritual (maybe 2x copies) and I'll feel better about this.

3. What's the best "interaction package" vs Storm? I know this format's gonna be able to handle a lot of what Storm is doing, between counters, GY hate, and discard, but it probably needs to be balanced around the fact that Storm should be playable.

Are any of these necessary includes? (I'm probably running Flusterstorm anyway for its powerlevel)

So alongside Storm, I think I want to support at least a few other combo decks.

UB and UR currently occupy the combo space. UB looks to be Reanimator and Storm (possibly Doomsday), while UR is Twin and Sneak Attack.
Tinker will be color "agnostic" and can be played in any shell that has blue. I'm going to exclude Vault/Key because its really stupid.

**Other Topic: Green**

I'm really looking for something in UG and GW that plays well with the rest of what's going on, whilst feeling distinct in its own right.
I haven't been excited by green except in the way of "support" cards:
etc...
Suggestions here would be awesome. I'm wondering if a UG "midrange" combo exists (like Tooth & Nail or something).
Does anyone have experience with Veteran Explorer? He seems like a cool enabler but might not cut it here. Like:

Looks cool in theory but is less powerful with respect to everything else.
Green just seems mechanically isolated from everything else going on, because it's main cube identity (ramp) is colorless in this environment. I want it to be more than "just big dudes." Looking for inspiration here[/quote]

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I was thinking for storm you want to run:

At least one variant in esper colors? Those also work as control finishers, so nice compact design if you miss the rituals. You could probably leave it at that if you wished but other potential finishers:

I think you're kind of stuck going by where you can get your finishers, and its probably better to think of this as more "spells matter combo" than true storm. Both of the above two are a lot more narrow, though empty might be fine?

Really don't like that miracles package btw. It just seems very poisonous, and I don't think control identity is going to be under that much pressure.

I started working on a powered cube twice (but never made it to a full list tough project!). Maybe you can gain some inspiration from my work.

The most recent go was an attempt to integrate some conversations I've witnessed and participated in here. My big goal was using multiples liberally to create classes of removal and modal cards that would (hopefully) define gameplay. I was also going to focus on 5 color pairs for multicolored cards and 2color lands (in an attempt to cut out unused lands/multicolored cards during drafting). The mess of a brainstorm is in the spoiler tags:
(540 cards); (cut to 450/495?)
(90) 30x3 “frequent”, (3 each color, 6 artifacts, 9 land)
Mutavault, Wasteland, Cloudpost, Mana Confluence, 5 on-pair fetch lands
5 ABU Moxen, Phyrexian Revoker
Steppe Lynx, Valorous Stance, Leonin Relic-Warder
Delver of Secrets, Brainstorm, Miscalculation
Pillar of Flame, Hell’s Thunder, Manic Vandal
Diabolic Edict, Gray Merchant of Asphodel, Inquisition of Kozilek
Eternal Witness, Green Sun’s Zenith, Sakura-Tribe Elder

(192) 96x2 “semifrequent”, (10 each color, 15 multicolored, 15 artifacts, 1 misc, 15 lands)
Figure of Destiny; Lightning Helix; Fire // Ice; Izzet Charm; Shardless Agent; Trygon Predator; Deathrite Shaman; ?; ?; Lingering Souls
Rakdos Cackler; Wild Nacatl; Judge’s Familiar; Kitchen Finks; Kolaghan’s Command
Magma Jet; Stromkirk Noble; Young Pyromancer; Abbot of Keral Keep; Brimstone Volley; Goblin Welder; Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker; Grim Lavamancer; Faithless Looting; Empty the Warrens
Mesmeric Fiend; Hero’s Downfall; Thoughtseize; Phyrexian Arena; Dark Ritual; Nantuko Shade; Bloodstained Champion; Carrion Feeder; Shriekmaw; Leyline of the Void
Looter il-Kor; Force of Will; Pestermite; Trinket Mage; Daze; Stifle; Transmute Artifact; Repeal; Remand; Turnabout
Oblivion Ring; Champion of the Parish; Unexpectedly Absent; Vryn Wingmare; Sunlance; Mana Tithe; Armageddon; Spirit of the Labyrinth; Aegis of the Gods; Wall of Omens
Arbor Elf; Sylvan Caryatid; Reclamation Sage; Vines of Vastwood; Survival of the Fittest; Birthing Pod; Noble Hierarch; Plow Under; Heartbeat of Spring; Scavenging Ooze
Rishadan Port, Thespian’s Stage, Mishra’s Factory, Ancient Tomb, Glimmerpost, 5 off-pair fetches, 5 on-pair shocks
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
Chrome Mox, Solemn Simulacrum, Coldsteel Heart, Hedron Archive, Everflowing Chalice
Bonesplitter, Lodestone Golem, Duplicant, Triskelion, Sensei’s Divining Top
Relic of Progenitus, Null Rod, Pithing Needle, Tangle Wire, Metalworker
(258) 258x1 “sparse”, (35 each color, 15 multicolored, 33 artifacts, 4 misc, 31 lands)
Coalition Relic, Mana Vault, Mox Diamond, Basalt Monolith, Grim Monolith, Gilded Lotus, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Worn Powerstone, 5 on-pair Sword of X&Y, Batterskull, Skullclamp, Umezawa’s Jitte, Myr Battlesphere, Smokestack, Scroll Rack, Engineered Explosives, Hangarback Walker, Helm of Obedience; Blightsteel Colossus; Sundering Titan; Mindslaver; Memory Jar; Kuldotha Forgemaster; Staff of Domination; Nevinyrral’s Disk; Oblivion Stone; Perilous Vault; Isochron Scepter; Platinum Angel
Emrakul, Aeons Torn; Karn Liberated; Ugin, the Spirit Dragon; Ulamog, Ceaseless Hunger
10 ABU duals, 5 on-pair Temples
Lumbering Falls, Desolate Lighthouse, Arid Mesa, Shambling Vent, Llanowar Wastes
Dryad Arbor; Tolarian Academy; Barbarian Ring; Windbrisk Heights; Volrath’s Stronghold
Gaea’s Cradle; Shelldock Isle; Flamekin Village; Karakas; Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Dark Depths

(~300 unique cards)
5 main color pairs
GU – tempopposition, heartbeat
UR – artifact reanimator, delvertwin
RW – land aggro, wildfire stax
WB – human aggro, control stax
BG – recsur/pod reanimator, junk
G – big ramp, U – accelerated control, R – rdw, W – ww, B – necro control

Key Card brainstorms:
W-Steppe Lynx
W-Champion of the Parish
W-Mardu Woe-Reaper
W-Spirit of the Labyrinth
W-Seeker of the Way
W-Wall of Omens
W-Leonin Arbiter
W-Aegis of the Gods
W-Ranger of Eos

U-Delver of Secrets
U-Trinket Mage
U-Omenspeaker
U-Brainstorm
U-Conundrum Sphinx
B-Carrion Feeder
B-Gravecrawler
B-Bloodsoaked Champion
B-Mardu Skullhunter
B-Gray Merchant of Asphodel
R-Monastery Swiftspear
R-Young Pyromancer
R-Abbot of Keral Keep
R-Plated Geopede
R-Gore-House Chainwalker
R-Viashino Slaughtermaster
G-Sunblade Elf
G-Wild Nacatl
G-Rancor
G-Scavenging Ooze
G-Strangleroot Geist
G-Quirion Dryad/Vinelasher Kudzu
G-Courser of Kruphix
G-Birthing Pod
G-Green Sun's Zenith
M-Deathrite Shaman
M-Rakdos Cackler
M-Dryad Militant
M-Kitchen Finks
M-Knight of the Reliquary
M-Chief of the Edge
M-Atarka's Command
C-Sensei's Divining Top
C-Hangarback Walker
C-Adventuring Gear
C-Bonesplitter
C-Chrome Mox
L-Wasteland
L-Fetches
L-Temples
L-Shocks
L-Mana Confluence
Conditional Removal:
W-Condemn
W-Sunlance
W-Valorous Stance
W-Suspension Field
U-Stifle
U-Lost in Thought
U-Into the Roil
U-Mana Leak
U-Echoing Truth
U-Dissipate
U-Glen Elendra Archmage
U-Force of Will
B-Smother
B-Tragic Slip
B-Gatekeeper of Malakir
B-Oubliette
B-Shriekmaw
R-Pillar of Flame
R-Tin Street Hooligan
R-Searing Spear
R-Magma Jet
R-Brimstone Volley
R-Radiant Flames
R-Ravenous Baboons
R-Zealous Conscripts
G-Reclamation Sage
G-Boon Satyr
G-Vines of Vastwood
G-Become Immense

M-Unmake
M-Sundering Growth
M-Judge’s Familiar
M-Curse of Chains
M-Lightning Helix
M-Fire/Ice
M-Kolaghan's Command
M-Murderous Redcap
C-Engineered Explosives
C-Pithing Needle
C-Aether Spellbomb
C-Phyrexian Revoker

The first time that I worked on this project was just a CubeTutor brainstorm (which can be found here) a year or more ago. I did brainstorm some notes recently for archetypes, though...

"More hate creatures in naya
Mono black
Stasis
Helm of Obedience
Detention Sphere
heartbeat of spring/Mana Flare
Replenish/Open the Vaults plus Starfield of Nyx/Opalessence"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rr3tJud2nM6pm9i0OEAKT7fwIdracA1whaYn_GL4hrs/edit?usp=sharing

I've got a "first rough draft" of the list up, if anyone wants to look through it. Nothing special just yet.

Here's what I've done:
1. I took a popular Powered Cube list (wtwlf's Cube) and paired it down to 360
2. I added Riptide style mana (2x Fetch, etc) and the Moxen base as well (2x Each Mox and 2x Black Lotus).
3. I've adjusted the aggro sections to include multiples, especially in white, black, and red. I decided to go with Steppe Lynx as my white 1-drop but I'm not sold.

So I've got a base Cube now, will be tweaking as I get ideas and feedback. Also I hope to upload this to CubeTutor later on when it gets more polished so it's draft-able and stuff. There aren't super clear archetypes here yet and I might be looking to focus more on synergies in my next round of changes.

My initial thought is that the list looks midrange-y to me. That's just an impression and might have to do with me including 'walkers and creatures I haven't seen in lists in a while that all promote that style of play.

Given the high artifact count, is Trading Post good enough, or is it too fair? I love me some durdle-post. That could be another direction for me to take this project. Lower powered but with high-powered mana.

I would love to get thoughts, so please share them if you want!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
well of course it's going to look midrangey, moxen are specifically about skipping the early game to the midrange part of the game :p

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
^ i think i can really get behind that - low creature count, low planeswalker count, and high artifact count to approximate the 'feeling' of vintage while avoiding midrange mania, as much as you can with a draft environment

So I've been tweaking the list in small bits, polishing the first draft to where it's (hopefully) draftable.

I'm putting this into paper (proxies, duh) over the next week and hopefully I'll have a full draft by the end of the month.

Any updates on this?

After some time playing my standard "power maxed" list, the Carnophages and Elite Vanguards weren't really cutting it anymore so, earlier this week, I finally decided to apply the Riptide philosophy to my Power maxed list. Today I found this thread and my changes look incredibly similar to what you've been trying to create here.
Things I really like:
Disruption-based aggro and spell-based aggro: literally the only way to make those decks competitive and fun in this environment. I was considering doubling up on Seeker of the Way to further push the spells matter theme.
Wide variety of archetypes supported: you managed to keep a lot of the archetypes I love and breathe new lives in the ones that are made staler by the singleton rule.
2x Fetches and 2x Wastelands

Things I'm iffy about:
Doubling up on Moxen and Black Lotus: this sounds really scary. I get that the goal is to tax the people who rely too much on Moxen and mana rocks but those kind of effects are limited to 1-2 colors. This seems like it would make the draft even more tilted in favour of the people who win the Black Lotus lottery, since not everyone will be equipped to deal with the fast starts that will surely ensue.

Cards I think should be considered:
To add to the disruption package:
The "why not?" pack (I'm sure there are reasons for their exclusion):
Cards I enjoy/have worked pretty well, even with all the crazyness going around:

Thanks and I really hope you kept/will keep working on this.

Also, fìrst post:cool: